20 posts / 0 new
Last post
jcarruthers's picture
Rega Brio-R and B&W 601 S3 too bassy

I am really happy with the way my setup sounds when playing vinyl — it's tight, precise and full.

One let down with the system though is that it's a bit over the top with bass via the DAC.

It's fine for a lot of genres but those that are a little more bass heavy suffer quite a bit and it gets a bit tiresome. With more "natural" music it sounds awesome and I'm blown away.

Not to say that the bass is muddy, it's good quality, there's just too much of it.

The room I am using the setup in is about 4m by 4m.

Are my speakers mismatched to the amp?

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
RE: Rega Brio-R and B&W 601 S3 too bassy

I find the filter number 3 at 44-48khz with more bass response. 

What filter are you using?

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

plastic penguin's picture

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

If you're talking about the Dac filters, they don't work.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

jcarruthers wrote:

I am really happy with the way my setup sounds when playing vinyl — it's tight, precise and full.

One let down with the system though is that it's a bit over the top with bass via the DAC.

It's fine for a lot of genres but those that are a little more bass heavy suffer quite a bit and it gets a bit tiresome. With more "natural" music it sounds awesome and I'm blown away.

Not to say that the bass is muddy, it's good quality, there's just too much of it.

The room I am using the setup in is about 4m by 4m.

Are my speakers mismatched to the amp?

Have you tried experimenting with speaker postion? They should be at least 12" from the back wall. 

Rethep's picture

I agree with the last poster. As your room has 2 sizes the same (4 x 4 square) it could give you a booming bass. Try speakers further from the backwall and a different distance to the sidewalls. The bass-overload will not be caused be the DAC.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

plastic penguin wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Yes they do work! They have small differences but audible,  and the filter number 3 have a slight bass response over the other!

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

Yes they do work! They have small differences but audible,  and the filter number 3 have a slight bass response over the other!

I couldn't detect hardly any difference. So subtle, in fact, I gave up using them after a while. One of my comments about the Rega Dac at the time was it made the overall presentation sound a touch bloated when cranked up. (That was purely based on my room size and acoustics and the fact the Arcam was used as transport...)

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

plastic penguin wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I couldn't detect hardly any difference. So subtle, in fact, I gave up using them after a while. One of my comments about the Rega Dac at the time was it made the overall presentation sound a touch bloated when cranked up. (That was purely based on my room size and acoustics and the fact the Arcam was used as transport...)

You call "bloated" i call it Full/ritch...

I use the SBT as a transport, and I've found the differences between the filters just a few days ago. If you change the filters each 5-10 seconds you will not find any differences. But if you ear a full music that you know back to front you will find them. 

Since i've bought the RP3 i start to play through the SBT the same musics that i have in vinyl, and the bass response of the vinyl is so much natural and full, i love the drums in the vinyl. And the same music in a FLAC file through the SBT don't even come close to the vinyl. But when i use the number 3 filter it get a bit better. 

These are my finding...  :?

:cheers:  PP

I didn't wait 5-10 secs... Wink

Just clarify - by "bloating" I meant too bass heavy. Found the whole presentation, depending on the music played, just a little overbearing. This is, IMHO, the Naim excels: Very punchy but not too in ya face, if you see what I mean.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

plastic penguin wrote:

Just clarify - by "bloating" I meant too bass heavy. Found the whole presentation, depending on the music played, just a little overbearing. This is, IMHO, the Naim excels: Very punchy but not too in ya face, if you see what I mean.

don't take this as " a must have to be" but just the way I see it.

An external DAC need to have different sound presentation that a CD player need to. 

A External DAC have to bring life to some poor digital contend like mp3 and other digital formats... And a DAC from a CD player doesn't need to do that job. 

This is the way i see things, and thats why maibe you felt Rega DAC too bass heavy, i don't feel it like that... Wink

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

don't take this as " a must have to be" but just the way I see it.

An external DAC need to have different sound presentation that a CD player need to. 

A External DAC have to bring life to some poor digital contend like mp3 and other digital formats... And a DAC from a CD player doesn't need to do that job. 

This is the way i see things, and thats why maibe you felt Rega DAC too bass heavy, i don't feel it like that... Wink

Indeed: Used as a part of a streaming device a dedicated DAC is logical option, but for upgrading a CDP I don't really see the point of using a DAC, unless, of course, you have a budget CDP and/or a DVD or Blu-ray player connected to a higher-end set-up.

Personally the Naim gives a better upgrade than a DAC/Arcam combo - one less box too.   Dance 4

jcarruthers's picture

Thanks for all your replies — I need to get some longer cable so I can try positioning — they are about 6 inches away from the wall at the moment.

Though, I thought front firing bass ports were less sensitive to positioning?

stevebrock's picture

I haven't found the Rega DAC too bass heavy at all but as for the filters I really cannot hear any audible difference IMHO, I gave read that filter 4&5 are the nicest so I just keep it on 5. 

My DAC doesn't really get used much, preferring vinyl on the RP3 however when I listen to the DAC it never fails to amaze hiw analogue it sounds and I never tire of it and definitely isn't bass heavy imho

PP, as for the presentation you obviously prefer the sound of Naim, which is fine they are both great systems, one isn't better than the other they just offer a different sound!

To the OP your problem is the room acoustics and speaker placement - experiment!!

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

stevebrock's picture

I haven't found the Rega DAC too bass heavy at all but as for the filters I really cannot hear any audible difference IMHO, I gave read that filter 4&5 are the nicest so I just keep it on 5. 

My DAC doesn't really get used much, preferring vinyl on the RP3 however when I listen to the DAC it never fails to amaze hiw analogue it sounds and I never tire of it and definitely isn't bass heavy imho

PP, as for the presentation you obviously prefer the sound of Naim, which is fine they are both great systems, one isn't better than the other they just offer a different sound!

To the OP your problem is the room acoustics and speaker placement - experiment!!

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

bluedroog's picture

OP - try some Acoustic Energy speakers for a lovely tight bass. The bass doesn't dig deep but is so agile and attacking, I'll buy an old pair if 109s one day for nostalgia.

stevebrock wrote:

Firstly, I think Rega DAC is immensely good and totally 'get' the notion of using one when streaming. Also the uplift when connected to the Arcam was slightly better, although when cranked up it could sound a little "bloated", but I presume that is down to my room rather than the Dac. Fast forward on to the dem room at the dealers, compared to the Rega/Arcam combo the Naim had even more punch and detail without any bloom. Took a claculated risk with the Naim and those differences are mirrored in my living room. For my system a dedicated CDP is better than a cheaper CDP/Rega dac.

if you want to dig the thread up I did mention this.

Pages