Have your say & ask the experts!

[Recommendation Needed] Looking for entry level sound card+DAC+amp set for my PC and DT880 Pro Headphone, budget 1000

7 replies [Last post]
neytirilover's picture

Smile

As stated in the title, I'm looking for a budget pc-hifi setup for my Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250ohm, I have 1000 USD handy for that, I need a good soundcard for my PC, a DAC and a headphone amplifier.

Currently I'm looking at the Creative X-Fi Titanium, I would like to know if it is a good card for audiophiles.

I usually listem to some classic music like symphony, orchestra and violin/piano solos, also some classic vocal/pop/folk/country music.

I heard that tube amplifiers sounds very sweet, what do you guys recommend?Smile

Thank you guys in advance:)

ifor's picture
RE: [Recommendation Needed] entry level sound card+DAC+amp

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Overdose's picture
One of the Benchmark DACs,

One of the Benchmark DACs, without hesitation. It wouldn't be entry standard though, more of a reference standard, indeed a benchmark.

It would also be the base for a very good active system if you ever went down that route due to also being a good preamp.

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

Original20's picture
DAC/Headphone Amp - budget, but hifi

Check out the Yulong D100 (excellent external DAC/headphone amp) maybe in combination with the Yulong A100 (dedicated headphone amp).

Both are a real bargain, available for purchase on ebay.

I have the D100 (not the new mkII) standalone as DAC handling all my Stereo tasks as link between TV/NAS and my oldschool preamp/amp.

I am very pleased by the results.

Regards

neytirilover's picture
RE:

thank you guys but benchmark's DAC is out of my budget range~

the yulong products seems attractive, I could keep an eye on them, do you guys still have any other recommendations?~:)

ifor's picture
RE:

Did you check out the Slee Bitzie?  You can arrange a two week home loan.

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Overdose's picture
RE:

neytirilover wrote:

the yulong products seems attractive, I could keep an eye on them, do you guys still have any other recommendations?~:)

Yes.

THIS

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

Ajani's picture
RE:

neytirilover wrote:

Don't be so sure! I use a Benchmark DAC1 (975 USD) + M-Audio Transit USB (75 USD) to drive my AKG K701s. So that setup was just $50 over your budget (new). If you want to spend less, then you can get a used DAC1 on Audiogon (or a refurbished one direct from Benchmark) for $700. 

M-Audio USB Transit->Benchmark DAC1->Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm) / AKG K701