26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Question Regarding Marantz MCR-603

Jason, simply this how I see the Marantz and Spotify. You can't stream Spotify using only the Marantz.or connected using ethernet to laptop. you can plug a laptop in either using RCA or optical and use you laptop for Spotify you can use AirPlay to stream Spotify from an itouch, iPhone or iPad.

Jason36's picture

chebby wrote:

Jason36 wrote:
Hmm it sounds like my laptop wont stream directly from Laptop to M-CR603 via the home WiFi...

Why not? I can have Airplay streaming from my iPhone and my iMac and a Dell laptop with no problems at all.

Why not ask Marantz?

Jonathan Weston 02890 279830

(UK Product Trainer & Product Support D&M Audiovisual Ltd.)

Cheers Chebby, 

That sounds like it would be the best decision before parting with my money.

Jason36's picture

BenLaw wrote:

Jason36 wrote:

:roll: :roll:

chebby wrote:

Jason36 wrote:
Hmm it sounds like my laptop wont stream directly from Laptop to M-CR603 via the home WiFi...

Why not? I can have Airplay streaming from my iPhone and my iMac and a Dell laptop with no problems at all.

Well I would be able to stream iTunes saved music via Airplay....but would it allow me to stream none Apple software such as Spotify via Airplay.

I'm sure there was a thread on this recently with a definitive answer - I believe AE may have the answers Smile FWIW my understanding was you could stream itunes from your computer, but not spotify. But you would be able to stream many things, including spotify from an iDevice. But I don't have the Marantz so have no personal experience.

Cheers Ben,

Too be honest buying AE as well as the Marantz in my mind defeats the object of having a wireless compatible unit for streaming music. 

Yep as we already discussed iTunes will be fine from the point of view of streaming to the Marantz. I am due a phone upgrade in December which will be for an iPhone...so from December and subject to upgrading Spotify to Premium there will be no problem. If I cant wait till then it's a good excuse to go out and buy either and iPod Touch (although I never understand the point of having this and an iPhone) or more desirable an iPad2.....which I can then use for other things Smile 

Also a call to Marantz would be in order I think...just to clarify the situation.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Jason36 wrote:

Too be honest buying AE as well as the Marantz in my mind defeats the object of having a wireless compatible unit for streaming music. 

No need to buy an Airport Express, you can stream audio from pretty much any app on your laptop via Airfoil.

PS There's a recent blog entry on the Airfoil blog which might be of interest to you.

Jason36's picture

miles82 wrote:

Jason36 wrote:

No need to buy an Airport Express, you can stream audio from pretty much any app on your laptop via Airfoil.

PS There's a recent blog entry on the Airfoil blog which might be of interest to you.

Ha so if I have Airfoil and Airplay on my laptop then basically I can use Airfoil to stream Spotify to any Airplay compatible device Smile

So would Airfoil stream itunes to a compatible device or would I need to get both Airfoil and Airplay??

We seem to be getting closer to a solution.

Also I believe that my current phone, a Samsung GalaxyS, will also run Spotify Premium on the Android Platform and therefore should also be able to stream from that.

BenLaw's picture

Jason36 wrote:

BenLaw wrote:
I'm sure there was a thread on this recently with a definitive answer - I believe AE may have the answers Smile FWIW my understanding was you could stream itunes from your computer, but not spotify. But you would be able to stream many things, including spotify from an iDevice. But I don't have the Marantz so have no personal experience.

Cheers Ben,

Lol, I actually meant I though Andrew Everard had given an answer to this on another thread, my fault with the abbreviations  :oops:   ROFL

Airfoil was what I was trying to think of as your alternative, nice one miles Smile

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Right... Experiement tested and results

I've signed up to Spotify (free version) & downloaded Airfoil (trial version) onto my PC

I'm currently streaming Roger Whittaker Tongue out via Spotify to my Marantz system via Airfoil and Spotify (Airfoil hijacks spotify, reboots and then streams)

BUT...

The volume was up 100% Surprised so make sure you sort that before having the system turned on or you'll blow your house up!!!

chebby's picture

hifilover1979 wrote:
I'm currently streaming Roger Whittaker Tongue out via Spotify to my Marantz system via Airfoil and Spotify (Airfoil hijacks spotify, reboots and then streams)

BUT...

The volume was up 100% Surprised so make sure you sort that before having the system turned on or you'll blow your house up!!!

With AirPlay the volume is also controlled from the iPhone or computer. Luckily I had read about this before buying Airplay so there were no shocks. (Although Roger Whittaker would have been traumatic at any volume!)

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Jason36's picture

hifilover1979 wrote:

I've signed up to Spotify (free version) & downloaded Airfoil (trial version) onto my PC

BUT...

RESULT!!!!

Thanks a ton for the feedback Dan...that's brilliant news. 

So now I know that I can stream itunes and spotify from my laptop to the marantz unit......which for me..was one ofthe main reasons for wanting to buy the Marantz.

Thanks everyone for all your input, advice and feedback with regards to this Smile :-)  :cheers:

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Jason36 wrote:

hifilover1979 wrote:

BUT...

RESULT!!!!

Thanks a ton for the feedback Dan...that's brilliant news. 

So now I know that I can stream itunes and spotify from my laptop to the marantz unit......which for me..was one ofthe main reasons for wanting to buy the Marantz.

Thanks everyone for all your input, advice and feedback with regards to this Smile :-)  :cheers:

No worries; have fun :cheers:

Pages