Have your say & ask the experts!

Quad 909 I'm enjoying it!

9 replies [Last post]
ABM78's picture

NAD 545Bee, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Leema Pulse MKII, Dynaudio X-12,B&W PV1d,Burson Audio Buffer

ABM78's picture
RE: Quad 909 I'm enjoying it!

twice I have written and twice its disappeared cannot be bothered now, will write later!  Am I doing something wrong?

NAD 545Bee, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Leema Pulse MKII, Dynaudio X-12,B&W PV1d,Burson Audio Buffer

Electro's picture

Always copy it before posting just in case Smile

I am not surprised you like the 909 it is a top class amp for very reasonable money .

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

bluedroog's picture

I use one and love it, I really can’t see me changing for many years now. Mine came to life when I paired it with a decent pre. I  don’t think I’ve ever come close to bothering it, it just takes everything in it’s stride. I’m so glad I bought one when I did.

I’m itching to upgrade my speakers as I really don’t think I’m really making the most of my pre / power combination as I think for my relatively modest outlay I could do justice to some pretty good speakers.

If you do find the motivation I would be very interested to hear you thoughts in more detail, in the meantime do enjoy!

keeperofthekeys's picture

i have a 909 too....very good i use a audiolab 8000q as a pre...its seems very uncoloured, natural sound...its a keeper.

SSM
SSM's picture

The 909 is simply a classic. Not perfect, but very listenable over long periods. I use mine in my office and it sure lessens the pain of daily drudgery. Tongue

Works well with the M-DAC, I might add.

SS

main system : audiolab M-DAC > Ayre K-5xeMP > Genesis M60 > Tannoy Precision 6.2

bluedroog's picture

SS did you ever try a pre-amp between your 909 and M-DAC?

SSM
SSM's picture

bluedroog wrote:

SS did you ever try a pre-amp between your 909 and M-DAC?

Yes, but I prefer the sound of the M-DAC 'naked' though the 909. The pre-amps offered more gain but with the 909's copious power onboard, that wasn't really an advantage because all that was needed to get similar sound levels is turn the M-DAC's volume up.

SS

main system : audiolab M-DAC > Ayre K-5xeMP > Genesis M60 > Tannoy Precision 6.2

dragon76's picture

How would you describe the sound of your M-DAC/Quad combination? I own M-DAc and would like to replace my integrated with stereo amp, and Quads were on my list. In fact I'd like to explore the new Quad Platinum Amp, but cannot find a demo and there are no reviews or discussions on this (at least I couldn't find any on the net).

Dedicated Win7 Music PC -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 -> ATC SCM 40; Furutech GT2 USB Cable, Oyaide Interconnects and mains cords; Kimber Kable 8tc speaker cables

ABM78's picture

what can i say voices are much improved, it still bounces along with everything thrown at it, the attack and slam is very noticable, it has brought out a new level of performance from the Excites.... I must say David from Frank Harvey harps on about power being delivered into a speaker to get the most out of it, and now I see what he is saying, but how many of us actually do put enough power into our speakers, I for now have decided a focus upgrade is not required right now.  I know I have not tired any other components but the leema pulse (a great amp in its own right) as a pre-amp sounds great to me.  I built my system for smoothness and non-fatigue, yet it still is detailed, I always use the word fun, but I listen to music hours on end, I don't want to have to turn it down because I have a headache, I have no regret with my addition, a focus 160 upgrade may still be on the books but not for now...they may have a focus 180 by then!  By the way David...would the Quad put enough in the focus range do you think? With the PV1d, delivering great big, tight and textured bass I don't know what more I could ask for, I'm not sure I want to experience what else is available as I feel the money I have spent is enough already....