24 posts / 0 new
Last post
L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders - ANY PREFERENCES? and why?

Could someone expalin/elaborate on the three PMC series. ? :type:

OB1i Signature

PB1i Signature

Fact.8

twenty.23
twenty.24



I am into rock music and would also like deep bass as well as highs!!!

Room 4.5m X 5m. No current amp....Next buy though...

Any suggestions for amp as well? :type:

 

How are they compared with KEF R-700? :type:

 

Thanks

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 53 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11160
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Tewnty Floorstanders

There's quite a difference between the i-Series and Fact/Twenty. The i-Series is a warmer sound with a fuller bass. There's plenty of treble detail, but I always felt that mid detail was a little recessed until you reached the 3-way models. This range needs a little bit of space, as they can sound a little boomy with a hint of boxiness, but are good for low level listening, and are pretty easy to drive.

The Fact models came after the i-Series. These were quite different. Gone was the warm, sometimes overpowering bass and their build quality removed the boxiness that I felt was a bit of an issue with the i-Series. Far more neutral sounding, and much easier to place too. Tonal balance can be subtlely controlled by a couple of rear mounted switches. Again, fairly easy to drive, but can be more revealing of the source/amplification.

The Twenty Series came from what PMC learned with the Fact models, and so are more like the Fact sound. Leaner sounding than the i-Series, but far more detailed, particularly in the midrange, and quite three dimensional sounding. Placement is easier than the i-Series, but they do need slightly more careful partnering to make sure they don't sound a little too bright, as their tonal balance is more prominent towards the treble/midrange.

The KEF R Series is smoother than all three PMC ranges, and they have a more prominent bass. If you had to compare these to a PMC range it would be more like the i-Series tonally, having a stronger bass. These need a little bit of space ideally, but the rear ports can be tuned with a two part bung.

Obviously you'll need to audition these speakers with the amplifier you intend to buy, or try them with different amplifiers to see which one gets the most from each of them.

My own personal preference? Between the PMC's, I liked some of the i-Series, but I wasn't overly keen on the Fact - I prefer the Twenty Series.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 53 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11160
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

You edited before I replied! Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

You edited before I replied! Smile

:oops:  Tried to correct some typo mistakes... :grin:
L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

You edited before I replied! Smile

:oops:
L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Tewnty Floorstanders

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

The KEF R Series is smoother than all three PMC ranges, and they have a more prominent bass. If you had to compare these to a PMC range it would be more like the i-Series tonally, having a stronger bass. These need a little bit of space ideally, but the rear ports can be tuned with a two part bung.

 

Thanks David. When you say 'more prominenet bass' you mean over the spectrum of the sound (i.e treble?). You do not mean that they go 'deeper' than PMC's... :?

For ROCK/metal music you would go for he TWENTY's?

Thanks again...

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16262
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

What amp do you have or are you planning? This, I believe, will be essential in deciding which PMCs to plump for.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

plastic penguin wrote:

What amp do you have or are you planning? This, I believe, will be essential in deciding which PMCs to plump for.

 

No particular brand... still looking. Budget is upto 2000 euros (1800 about GBP)

Arcam, bryston, brio, creek, naim.....you guide me to minimise options pls.

 

I will be auditioning PMCs (Not twenty's) with bryston amp.

Electro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1220
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

L00k_C wrote:

Could someone expalin/elaborate on the three PMC series. ? :type:

 

OB1i Signature

PB1i Signature

Fact.8

twenty.23
twenty.24



I am into rock music and would also like deep bass as well as highs!!!

Room 4.5m X 5m. No current amp....Next buy though...

Any suggestions for amp as well? :type:

 

How are they compared with KEF R-700? :type:

 

Thanks

I have not heard the KEF R-700 so I can't really comment on them but I do love PMC speakers especially the i series .

Unfortunately all the smaller i series models  have very recently  been discontinued , they now start at the OB1i upwards, I don't think the signature versions are still available but you might get lucky Smile .

For your taste in music and the size of your room the OB1i would be my choice .

The PB1i  might  overpower a room of your dimensions because they produce extremely deep and powerful bass and very detailed and explicit midrange , they need a fair sized room to work to their full potential .

All of the speakers on you list are very good but you must listen for yourself in your room to avoid mistakes Smile

Main system .

Electrocompaniet EMC 1 up , Monarchy Audio DIP, ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC Pb1i speakers .

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 53 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11160
RE:

L00k_C wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

The KEF R Series is smoother than all three PMC ranges, and they have a more prominent bass. If you had to compare these to a PMC range it would be more like the i-Series tonally, having a stronger bass. These need a little bit of space ideally, but the rear ports can be tuned with a two part bung.

 Thanks David. When you say 'more prominenet bass' you mean over the spectrum of the sound (i.e treble?). You do not mean that they go 'deeper' than PMC's... :?

For ROCK/metal music you would go for he TWENTY's?

Thanks again...

The PMC's use transmission line rather than conventional ports. They do go deep, but I would say that because of the tonal balance of the Twenty Series, the depth doesn't have a great amount of power. The R700's will sound more prominent and powerful in this respect.

For rock, I would say the R700's or the PMC OB1i or PB1i. Some of the i-Series have now been discontinued, so if you want to try them out, do so before they disappear!

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16262
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

L00k_C wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

What amp do you have or are you planning? This, I believe, will be essential in deciding which PMCs to plump for.

 

No particular brand... still looking. Budget is upto 2000 euros (1800 about GBP)

Arcam, bryston, brio, creek, naim.....you guide me to minimise options pls.

 

I will be auditioning PMCs (Not twenty's) with bryston amp.

Really depends how far your budget will stretch. Heard the Twenty 23s on the end of Yamaha receiver and they sounded smooth, albeit it was fairly brief listen. Had experience with DB1is and (orginal) GB1s and they sound good with Leema, Arcam, Naim. That said, I would guess you'd need Bryston, Leema Tucana or something of that ilk to make those hi-enders sing. The Bryston would seem the obvious choice as PMC are Bryston's UK distributor.

A dem is essential before deciding.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
RE:

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

L00k_C wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

The KEF R Series is smoother than all three PMC ranges, and they have a more prominent bass. If you had to compare these to a PMC range it would be more like the i-Series tonally, having a stronger bass. These need a little bit of space ideally, but the rear ports can be tuned with a two part bung.

 Thanks David. When you say 'more prominenet bass' you mean over the spectrum of the sound (i.e treble?). You do not mean that they go 'deeper' than PMC's... :?

For ROCK/metal music you would go for he TWENTY's?

Thanks again...

The PMC's use transmission line rather than conventional ports. They do go deep, but I would say that because of the tonal balance of the Twenty Series, the depth doesn't have a great amount of power. The R700's will sound more prominent and powerful in this respect.

For rock, I would say the R700's or the PMC OB1i or PB1i. Some of the i-Series have now been discontinued, so if you want to try them out, do so before they disappear!

 

Ok. Now I see. Thanks David. I am looking for powerful bass......

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/12/2012 - 11:16
Posts: 238
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

plastic penguin wrote:

L00k_C wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

What amp do you have or are you planning? This, I believe, will be essential in deciding which PMCs to plump for.

 

No particular brand... still looking. Budget is upto 2000 euros (1800 about GBP)

Arcam, bryston, brio, creek, naim.....you guide me to minimise options pls.

 

I will be auditioning PMCs (Not twenty's) with bryston amp.

Really depends how far your budget will stretch. Heard the Twenty 23s on the end of Yamaha receiver and they sounded smooth, albeit it was fairly brief listen. Had experience with DB1is and (orginal) GB1s and they sound good with Leema, Arcam, Naim. That said, I would guess you'd need Bryston, Leema Tucana or something of that ilk to make those hi-enders sing. The Bryston would seem the obvious choice as PMC are Bryston's UK distributor.

A dem is essential before deciding.

 

Ok Thanks....

 

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury to demo every amp.. and for that matter maybe only Bryston :cry:

Will demo as much as possible.

Fulci's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/02/2011 - 16:05
Posts: 64
How would the Twenty.23 get

How would the Twenty.23 get along with the Brio-R?

 

And between the PMCs and the ProAc D18, what would the main differences be or which should be the better one?

 

Also, would they be a marked improvement over my Rega RS3 worth the £2000+ difference or maybe should I think of upgrading the amp first?

 

Also, I can get a great price on a GB1i, would this be much of a step up over the RS3 or just a side step?

 

Room is a little smaler than the OPs size, and speakers will be placed on the across the smaller side of 4x4.5m.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16262
RE: How would the Twenty.23 get

Fulci wrote:

How would the Twenty.23 get along with the Brio-R?

 

And between the PMCs and the ProAc D18, what would the main differences be or which should be the better one?

 

Also, would they be a marked improvement over my Rega RS3 worth the £2000+ difference or maybe should I think of upgrading the amp first?

 

Also, I can get a great price on a GB1i, would this be much of a step up over the RS3 or just a side step?

 

Room is a little smaler than the OPs size, and speakers will be placed on the across the smaller side of 4x4.5m.

The Rega shouldn't have problems driving the 23s, as all PMCs, generally, are fairly easy load. The question is whether a £2100 investment would be worth it given the amp is a £500 device. Personally I'd be looking at GB1is as a ceiling amount on any amp below £1,000. However, how they compare to the RS3s I couldn't say. Sorry. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16262
RE: PMC's FACTS vs ISeries vs Twenty Floorstanders

L00k_C wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

L00k_C wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

What amp do you have or are you planning? This, I believe, will be essential in deciding which PMCs to plump for.

 

No particular brand... still looking. Budget is upto 2000 euros (1800 about GBP)

Arcam, bryston, brio, creek, naim.....you guide me to minimise options pls.

 

I will be auditioning PMCs (Not twenty's) with bryston amp.

Really depends how far your budget will stretch. Heard the Twenty 23s on the end of Yamaha receiver and they sounded smooth, albeit it was fairly brief listen. Had experience with DB1is and (orginal) GB1s and they sound good with Leema, Arcam, Naim. That said, I would guess you'd need Bryston, Leema Tucana or something of that ilk to make those hi-enders sing. The Bryston would seem the obvious choice as PMC are Bryston's UK distributor.

A dem is essential before deciding.

 

Ok Thanks....

 

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury to demo every amp.. and for that matter maybe only Bryston :cry:

Will demo as much as possible.

Okay, but make sure, if you can't dem, you get some sort of safety net i.e. a 28-day returns or something on those lines, just in case it isn't for you.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments