Have your say & ask the experts!

Opinions on Onkyos A-9070 and 9000R Integrated Amps?

49 replies [Last post]
DanielTura's picture

Hello everyone,

Heres my story im looking to get an amplifier that is a good allrounder(as i listen to a wide variety of music genres)and would match either the MA RX6  or the Epos Epic 5  or maybe the Elac FS 67.2/68.2 floorstanders(i have to get the amp first tho).Anyone heard these amps opinions and comparisons are very welcome...is the 9000R worth the extra cash over the 9070?(tho if i buy that one i wont be left with any cash to spend on an outboard  DAC and ill have to settle with a didgital interface instead(the Audio-GD DI maybe?)..opinions on the onboard DACs would be nice on how they stand against outboard ones up to 500 pounds?

Id like to hear ur toughts..thank you.

hughesfleming's picture
RE: Opinions on Onkyos A-9070 and 9000R Integrated Amps?

Hi,

First post here but I have a 9000r and it is not mentioned here often so perhaps I can help. There are several differences beween the A-9070 and the 9000r but the one that stands out is that the 9000 supports async. USB in addition to the other digital inputs. The onboard dacs are fine but it depends on the sound you are looking for and the quality of your source. If I were considering buying an external dac, I probably would have gone a different direction with the amp. The 9000 made sense to me because I wanted an amp with an integrated dac to cut down on the number of boxes and I think the end result is great.

DanielTura's picture
Thx for the reply  Id like

Thx for the reply  Smile

Id like to know if u auditioned other amps in this price range and how does the onkyo stand against them?(only reviews i found were in dutch and german and google translate doest do a very good job in translating audio reviews..still what i could make up out of them was the low quality remote...witch i honestly dont give a rats a** about my only intrest is sound quality/value.

The main reason im interesed in this amp was the knoledge that Monitor Audio themselfs demoed the RX6s with an Onkyo amp(duno witch one but since the 9000R shares alot of traits with theyr top of the line PA+PRE ...im inclined to think that the 9000R will do a very good job driving them).

PS.What speakers did u pair yours with? Smile

DanielTura's picture
Del

-Delete this post

DanielTura's picture
RE: Del

-Delete this post!(somehow i managed to triplepost Sad )

hughesfleming's picture

Finding speakers has been more difficult than I first expected but that is due to my room acoustics and where I need to place my speakers. I ended up with Sonus Farber venere 1.5's with the SF stands. 

ID.
ID.'s picture

I briefly looked at a Japanese review of the 9000r that seemed rate it as natural with plenty of power, detail and good dynamics (I'm paraphrasing here). It was pretty short. They tested it with MA RX6 speakers. a lot of the user reviews rate it highly for sound quality, including someone who mentined using Elacs.

Desk-Fi: Mac Mini - NuForce Icon HDP - Fostex PM0.4n - Audio Technica ATH900x - Sennnheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i

Bedroom system: Esoteric RZ-1 - PMC DB1i / iPod Classic - Onkyo NDS1000 - Firestone Audio FUBAR IV

DanielTura's picture

Thx for the replys.

So ill most likely pick up an A-9000R with and Audio-GD DI-V3+PSU some quality cables then hunt for speakers.

hughesfleming's picture

Why don't you pick up the a-9000 and see if you like the onboard dacs? The speakers you chose will have a much greater effect on your end result. One of the reasons I chose the a-9000 was the fact that it could be setup so many ways. You could always add a tube preamp or a hybrid tube dac like the music hall 25.3 or run it as a premap to a tube amp etc. It is also perfectly setup to run something like an antimode 2.0 for room correction and so on. You might find you like how it sounds all by itself!

You should start auditioning speakers first. The amp can handle relatively inefficient speakers with ease so you have lots of choices. I would look at KEF R's, B&W PM1's or Dynaudio's. Perhaps some Quadral Aurums for something a bit different. The Sonus Faber venere's are also an interesting option. I would head in the direction of something neutral-warm rather than neutral-analytic.

Have fun

DanielTura's picture

I plan on using the onboard DACs(the Audio GD DI is a digital interface...aka USB>SPDIF converter and one of the best from what ive heard..certanaly the best at the price..as for speakers i want towers..and ive allready made a short list of what to audition , might try others that are available in those showrooms...but there arent alot of options where i live(not in the UK).

hughesfleming's picture

Ah Ok. My mistake for not understanding what that was. I am still not sure why you would need one but I will take a look and see what it does. I understand your problem with auditioning as I don't live in the UK either. I rely on finding free time on business trips but it is never ideal.

regards

DanielTura's picture

Well its basicly a transport of digital signal..reduces digital jitter(there are plenty of solutions from inexpensive ones to very expensive..M2Tech Hiface / Musical Fidelity V-Link to name a few popular ones)..and from what ive heard a good transport will almost always give a small boost to soundquality..add other smaller improvements like quality digital cables and the overall improvement should be greater.Not shure if the Asyc USB on the Onkyo is on par with the Audio GDs...but i highly doubt it and even if it is , its a small investment..i can allways sell it if doesnt improve sq(still have to buy it to try it)I have time to think since i wont be buying any audio equipment until i move to my own place in a few months(cant fit more stuff where i live now..allready prety crowded).

Best regards.

Benedict_Arnold's picture

Onkyo stuff always seems to surprise the opposition in its category (the hifi equivalent, I guess, of the "UJM" - ubiquitous Japanese motorcycle) with its price / performance ratio.  The A9070 MSRP here in the US is 1200 bucks, and I can probably get one for a lot less through a sales club we belong to, so for me the question would be whether to go for the A9070 @110 WPC into 8 ohms or the P-3000R pre-amp (1700 bucks retail) plus dual M-5000R power amps (which, by the way, have nice old-fashioned dancing level meters on their fronts for added entertainment value) at 2500 bucks apiece giving a total of 220 WPC into 8 ohms. 

On the "what would you do with 5000 quid thread, 1700+2500+2500 = 6700 bucks, or about 4200 quid.  Assuming I could get a 20% discount and I use the Onkyo CDP and surround sound receivers I've already got, that sould leave me enough for a half-decent pair of Klipsch speakers.  Hmmm....

One thing that's always struck me is how similar Onkyo stuff looks to the last of the Technics stuff (cue Inspector Morse soundtrack)....

DanielTura's picture

IMO get the speakers first then decide if u need the extra power..as far as i know Klipsch spearkers are fairly easy to drive(aka the can produce a high SPL with a relatively small amount of power).If u can buy the speakers then audition amps at home(Myself and many others dont have that luxury..i have to buy the amp first and then carry it with me to showrooms to find a matching pair of speakers to my personal tastes).

Good luck.

DanielTura wrote:

IMO get the speakers first then decide if u need the extra power..as far as i know Klipsch spearkers are fairly easy to drive(aka the can produce a high SPL with a relatively small amount of power).If u can buy the speakers then audition amps at home(Myself and many others dont have that luxury..i have to buy the amp first and then carry it with me to showrooms to find a matching pair of speakers to my personal tastes).

Good luck.

My Klipsch speakers were a Chrimbo pressie from 'er indoors and the largest she'll put up with in the living room (I actually wanted a half decent pair of stand-mounters I could put inside especially designed for the purpose cabinets in our enterntainment centre).  Later on I'm gong to get myself another Cyrus system, probably with ProAc Studio 140 Mark 2 speakers, but I can get a pair of the Klipsch RF-7 II speakers for about half the price of the PRoAcs over here (I can get about half off through a buying club we belong to, basically buying direct from Klipsch and not through a retailer).  If I don't like them I figure I can sell them on EBay for what I personally paid for them and buy the ProAcs instead.

DanielTura wrote:

Good luck.

My Klipsch speakers were a Chrimbo pressie from 'er indoors and the largest she'll put up with in the living room (I actually wanted a half decent pair of stand-mounters I could put inside especially designed for the purpose cabinets in our enterntainment centre).  Later on I'm gong to get myself another Cyrus system, probably with ProAc Studio 140 Mark 2 speakers, but I can get a pair of the Klipsch RF-7 II speakers for about half the price of the PRoAcs over here (I can get about half off through a buying club we belong to, basically buying direct from Klipsch and not through a retailer).  If I don't like them I figure I can sell them on EBay for what I personally paid for them and buy the ProAcs instead.