471 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
RE: Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

tosh wrote:

If i were to connect a blue ray player to the amp for watching movies and also cd playback would it just be using the same input?

Hi Tosh, there's a full range if inputs so you have separate RCA inputs for several sources, but also four digital inputs (two coax and two optical) which can link to your TV and Blu-ray player.  I use optical from the TV to the Onkyo and the sound quality is extremely good.  Depends on each soundtrack of course, but it acquits itself very well.

I watched a movie on Sony's Qriocity site tonight which had some nice low end bass through the Tannoys; there was a good separation and clear definition on the phrasing in the dialogue.  

Ultimately, this amp is no slouch.  It'll perform well up to higher end specs (it's as good - for instance - as the Leema Pulse II, an amp which I had briefly last year, or the Sansui AU-717 if you like your vintage hifi); like I said, for once we can get style and substance in the one package with both well delivered.

tosh's picture

Just waiting for the next Superfi 10% day and i'm in there. Can't believe its price compared to (very few) similiar products.

Existing and potential owners might be interested in this "How to" guide for the TX8050 from Onkyo's own site.  You can watch in 1080p resolution; just select from the relevant dropdown on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=GzDSlP_63Kw

...and one for using Spotify following the recent firmware upgrade.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nErZqgWOeV8&feature=related

tosh's picture

Love the spotify app on smart phones.

moon's picture

dariushifi wrote:

Hi Gareth82 and MP ( I agree with your previous posts and happy that you like Onkyo the same way I do. It is the way it sounds.)

I watch movies through sony bdp s580 connected with monster analogue interconnects to my Onkyo tx 8050 set on BD/DVD mode ( as there is no HDMI connection and Digital connection will be downscaled to 48 khz.) To be quite honest, sound is good however it is not as good as SACD or streamed Hi rez tracks. Partially down mix to stereo in sony  is to blame I think , but still  Onkyo does quite a decent job. Some movies sound  a bit strange, even though put on stereo in setup. Again, it may be down to poor stereo track, as all attention is on TRUE HD 5.1 or 7.2 channels. In this case I go to optical digital connection from my Sony Bravia and it is sound great ( even downscaled to 48khz).

Different Blue rays will sound differently and you will have to rely on ether BD player down mix to stereo capabilities or stereo track quality on blue ray set up. But Onkyo is so flexible you still enjoy the sound.

I just plug Xbox and Bluray into Tv via HDMi and optical out into the Denon, sounds great.

Yup; exactly the same approach here.  Same result too.   Smile

matthewpiano's picture

moon wrote:

matthewpiano wrote:

Just having a first look I've found Folk Radio UK Frukie and currently enjoying some great folk music in surprisingly good sound quality!

This thing is opening up all sorts of new avenues.  :bounce:

MP . welcome to the party. 

For the best sound quality on Internet radio have a listen to Linn Classical, simply brilliant.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm listening to Linn Classical now and it sounds sensational.  It helps that the playing is so good on their recordings too.  Will explore Linn Jazz later as well.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

matthewpiano's picture

Linn Jazz and Linn Radio both also explored this afternoon.  Fantastic!  

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

CnoEvil's picture

matthewpiano wrote:

Linn Jazz and Linn Radio both also explored this afternoon.  Fantastic!  

The 3 Linn stations are remarkable quality.....shows what can be done. It's a pity it's so niche.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

6th.replicant's picture

So, the TX-8050 has a DAC and a phono stage built-in - hmmmm, really liking the prospect of reduced boxes and RCAs, and dusting duties Smile

AND... the TX-8050 has tone controls :bounce:

Is gapless playback possible if streaming iTunes, which does support gapless, into a TX-8050? :pray:

If using Onkyo's UFW-1 wireless dongle, is it possible to stream 24/96s from a MacBook Pro to the TX-8050? 

The TX-8050 seems too-good-to-be-true - is it built using slave labour or are the components of such a low-grade that the TX-8050 will start to self-destruct after six months? :?

Intrigued, and very tempted... :shifty:  

bigblue235's picture

It also sounds too good to be true to me - and that's what's putting me off.

Some of the people that have raved about this product (not just here) have been fairly critical in the past of far more expensive kit. Even just as an amp, a 100wpc amp for £399? How many 'good' 100w amps are there at that sort of money? Then add a phono stage. Then a Tuner. A DAC. Networking. Etc...

A few places have had deals available on this, RS are currently advertising it with £100 off at £249. Unless Onkyo have found some way to manufacture things that the rest of the industry are unaware of, it must be made of fairly average components. But yet previously critical people are raving about it?

I think it either shows that there's not as much difference in quality between products as is commonly suggested, or people's ears aren't as good as they think. I don't know what category I'm in, but I can't hear much difference between a £99 Apple TV and a £900 CD player either! Smile

plastic penguin's picture

bigblue235 wrote:

It also sounds too good to be true to me - and that's what's putting me off.

Some of the people that have raved about this product (not just here) have been fairly critical in the past of far more expensive kit. Even just as an amp, a 100wpc amp for £399? How many 'good' 100w amps are there at that sort of money? Then add a phono stage. Then a Tuner. A DAC. Networking. Etc...

A few places have had deals available on this, RS are currently advertising it with £100 off at £249. Unless Onkyo have found some way to manufacture things that the rest of the industry are unaware of, it must be made of fairly average components. But yet previously critical people are raving about it?

I think it either shows that there's not as much difference in quality between products as is commonly suggested, or people's ears aren't as good as they think. I don't know what category I'm in, but I can't hear much difference between a £99 Apple TV and a £900 CD player either! Smile

The only way of knowing for sure is to audition one, right? Go and hear it and give us your feedback. I've not heard the Onkyo nor do intend to, but you know what say about people who throw stones in a glass house?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

bigblue235's picture

plastic penguin wrote:
The only way of knowing for sure is to audition one, right? Go and hear it and give us your feedback.

Slight snag, I'm a ferry ride or flight away from the nearest place with one in stock. Hence why I'm trying to use people's opinions online to help make my mind up.

Quote:
I've not heard the Onkyo nor do intend to, but you know what say about people who throw stones in a glass house?

Um... what?

Anyway... I'm just wondering how an amp which can easily be bought for under £300 which includes a tuner, DAC, networking, toaster and grill, etc. can compare favourably to a traditional £500+ amp. Unless:  Angel There isn't much difference in amps (b) There is a difference but people's ears aren't as finely-tuned as they think. I know mine aren't. (c) Onkyo have discovered the secret to making great amps, and at half the price of everyone else.

I just can't understand why it's being sold so cheaply if it's so good. Hence why I said it's too good to be true. Genuine query.

plastic penguin's picture

bigblue235 wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:
The only way of knowing for sure is to audition one, right? Go and hear it and give us your feedback.

Slight snag, I'm a ferry ride or flight away from the nearest place with one in stock. Hence why I'm trying to use people's opinions online to help make my mind up.

Quote:
I've not heard the Onkyo nor do intend to, but you know what say about people who throw stones in a glass house?

Um... what?

Anyway... I'm just wondering how an amp which can easily be bought for under £300 which includes a tuner, DAC, networking, toaster and grill, etc. can compare favourably to a traditional £500+ amp. Unless:  Angel There isn't much difference in amps (b) There is a difference but people's ears aren't as finely-tuned as they think. I know mine aren't. (c) Onkyo have discovered the secret to making great amps, and at half the price of everyone else.

I just can't understand why it's being sold so cheaply if it's so good. Hence why I said it's too good to be true. Genuine query.

You could, I suppose, aim a similar question about my Leema. Originally it retailed at around £1200 and when replaced was selling for close to £1300, yet I bought mine from a well known dealer, brand new, for £750. To my ears it's one of the best sub-£2000 integrateds.

Perhaps email Onkyo http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/ and ask them.

My only question, which someone else picked up on, is how do Onkyo think it'll play in the market place, given the amount of surround sound receivers around the same price point.

At the end of the day anyone purchased this or any other component, and happy with it, it should be sacrosanct.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

matthewpiano's picture

I have always held the belief that the only thing that really matters with hi-fi is what you hear with your own ears, and whether it allows you to enjoy the music.  The music has to be at the heart of it for me and (though it is a personal choice that anyone is entitled to make) I have never understood those people, who are out there, that spend huge sums of money on hi-fi equipment but only have small music collections or, worse, restrict themselves to a few demonstration quality recordings.

The Onkyo is a great product.  In the last week I have been listening to lots of CDs, so I've been using the Onkyo more as a traditional amplifier than anything else.  At no point in all of this listening have I been distracted from the music by feeling the need to question the performance of any part of my system, including the Onkyo.

Whether or not the Onkyo compares favourably with other, more traditional and more expensive amps no longer interests me.  I know for certain that it gives me far more enjoyment than the Arcam A18 did because it doesn't sap all the life out of the music as that amp did.  I also know that I enjoy it far more than the Cambridge 740A because it doesn't strip everything quite as bare - the 740A really can get very dry and analytical sounding.  Does this mean the Onkyo is better?  Well, there are no absolutes in all of this.  To my ears, yes, the Onkyo is better than the A18 or the 740A, and what I hear with my own ears is really all that matters to me.  

Pages