471 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blackdawn's picture
RE: Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

Glad to hear RS and MP like their new Onkyo's so far. This looks like a great amp for the price. I'm really attracted by the functionality and features.  It will definitely be near the top of the list if my Denon breaks. MP how to you think the Onkyo compares to amps like the Creek one you had and the Arcam's?

Do you think the amp run larger speakers like larger bookshelfs or floorstanders well?

Does the FM radio give a nice sound?

Happy listening Smile

HiFi - Cambridge Audio 340C, Pioneer A30, Denon TU 260L, Dali Lektor 2. 

matthewpiano's picture

Hi Blackdawn.

I'd rather have this Onkyo than the Arcams.  The A65+ was the best of the Arcam amps I had and was very talented in some ways but not all that engaging for me.  The A70 was terrible and the A18 is limited by its poor ability to drive anything but the easiest of loads.  I'd say the Onkyo will drive a much bigger range of speakers well than the A70 or the A18.  In my opinion Arcams are over priced for the performance you get.

The Creek 4330R was a bit special.  Great sounding amp, but absolutely no flexibility and no protection circuit.  Sound wise the Creek and Onkyo would give each other a run for their money - the Creek is a bit more overtly bold and big boned, whereas the Onkyo is much better with detail and protraying the full dynamic range of music.  (Actually I'd left the Creek off my list in my previous post, as well as the Denon PMA1500AE - I've had too many amps!)

I haven't tried the tuner section yet.  Too many features for one day!  I will give it a go later and let you know.  Next month I may buy the OP-DT1 DAB module so that I've got a choice of FM and DAB.

Happy New Year mate.

Blackdawn's picture

Happy new year.

RS how are you getting on with the little Tannoys?

HiFi - Cambridge Audio 340C, Pioneer A30, Denon TU 260L, Dali Lektor 2. 

tosh's picture

Hi Matthew, can you not pick up all the DAB stations on internet radio but at higher quality?

matthewpiano's picture

tosh wrote:

Hi Matthew, can you not pick up all the DAB stations on internet radio but at higher quality?

Not sure.  Haven't got into the internet radio side much yet - too busy enjoy my CDs and exploring new stuff through Spotify (I've upgraded to the full service).

Like RS says, there is a heck of a lot to this receiver and I think it might take some time to get round to trying everything.

Thanks for flagging that up though - well worth me looking!

DIB's picture

I do all my radio listening via Internet radio on my NA7004, and before that my M-CR603. I  have never bothered with either the FM or DAB function. I found that the reception with the supplied FM and DAB leads was not that great in my front room, and I had no intention of having an outside aerial fitted to improve matters. I found that having the receiver hardwired with an ethernet cable gives perfect internet radio reception.  I have not found any station that I want to listen to NOT on the internet.

If I had the Onkyo it would be no different.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

matthewpiano's picture

Just having a first look I've found Folk Radio UK Frukie and currently enjoying some great folk music in surprisingly good sound quality!

This thing is opening up all sorts of new avenues.  :bounce:

moon's picture

matthewpiano wrote:

Just having a first look I've found Folk Radio UK Frukie and currently enjoying some great folk music in surprisingly good sound quality!

This thing is opening up all sorts of new avenues.  :bounce:

MP . welcome to the party. 

For the best sound quality on Internet radio have a listen to Linn Classical, simply brilliant.

the record spot's picture

Blackdawn wrote:
Happy new year. RS how are you getting on with the little Tannoys?

Happy New Year to you too mate; the Tannoys are doing fine.  Lovely speakers, nice sound to them but much as I said the other day; a bigger sound than you'd expect from such a small speaker and they work well with everything I've thrown at them - Metallica's "Metallica" from 1991 sounded brilliant for example.   Streamed it via WAV file from the Western Digital hard drive I use and well impressed.  Not tried any orchestral yet, but will do.  

Incidentally, the internet radio function is excellent from what I've used so far.  Listened to Radio 4's Today programme the other morning, followed up with some station in Atlanta, Georgia not long after.  Connectivity to those stations and sound quality therein was very good.  Voices sounded rich and lifelike, as did music.  Found an interesting documentary on REM (from an Atlanta radio station, this might not be a surprise!) and the variety of speech with music tracks in the background blended nicely.

In other words, still impressed. 

Mr Steve's picture

This Amp looks almost exactly what would meet my wish list.

The changes / extras I would ask for in a perfect world would be:

- add Apple lossless to the suite of audio codecs supported (many iPods and other Apple devices are in the home that have to be considered, and the music library has all been ripped to ALAC). The support for HD FLAC is great (but is more common than support for apple lossless).

- upgrade the DAC to 24 bit / 192 kHtz (to future proof possible future improvements as not much is currently available at this resolution - although there is some);

- although covered by the pre-outs so that a power amp can be added, it would be nice if the spec is somewhat over 100W @ 8 ohm.

As always, the comments and insights of those members who actually have the TX-8050 would be welcomed.

And may all forum members and visitors have a brilliant and sucessful 2012  Smile

Regards

Steve

the record spot's picture

Hi Steve, no problem; the Apple Lossless issue could be addressed with a firmware upgrade in the same way that Spotify functionality was added in December.  The DAC played the DVD-A of Hotel California which I think was 24/102.  The manual doesn't specify that, but it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer made an error in its own handbook.  I'd be surprised if that was the case here as the DAC's specifications will have been stated by the manufacturer (assuming Onkyo went to a third party provider - Texas Instrument, Burr-Brown, Wolfson, etc - I don't think the manual or the datasheet specify).

The amp power is fine as is for 8 ohms.  Given that the Marantz 603 and the Naim UnitiQute only offer 40w and 30w respectively at 8ohms, while the Uniti is 50w, this is a powerful amp, albeit one that's not just all bluster.  It's a refined sounding thing with some smart technology onboard.  Irrespective of the source, music, speech or films simply ooze atmosphere as well as class.  And as you note, a power amp can be added for additional clout.

Gareth82's picture

It's great that the Onkyo seems to be gaining more and more owners and admirers as the days go by as it is a great product and well spec'd for the price, I too will be a proud owner of one when my wallet has recoverd from christmas (and the new baby).

Can any of the current owners comment on how the Onkyo performs with Blu Rays/DVD'S for movie playback?

And would anyone be as kind to upload some pics of how the Onkyo looks in the flesh (it would be nice to see how it looks as i will be ordering mine online).

Thanks

matthewpiano's picture

Don't worry about the power rating - there is plenty for domestic listening levels and it never sounds forced.

Day 3 of owning it today and I'm extremely satisfied and not sure how I coped before!  This afternoon I listened to a couple of CDs, streamed an album from Spotify Premium, and listened to Toto's IV album on vinyl, and the Onkyo performed superbly throughout.  

Over the last couple of years I've kept my ever-growing stash of hi-fi mags (several titles) but this afternoon I actually put them out for recycling.  I'm seeing it all very differently as a result of having this Onkyo and I couldn't be happier.  On the hi-fi side I've two boxes (Onkyo + CD6003), my turntable and 2 speakers yet I have so much flexibility, all with superb sound quality.  I actually don't think I'll ever go back to a standard integrated amp again.  I'll probably get round to connecting my TV/Blu-ray player up to the amp tomorrow so will report back once I've given that a go.

tosh's picture

If i were to connect a blue ray player to the amp for watching movies and also cd playback would it just be using the same input?

dariushifi's picture

Hi Gareth82 and MP ( I agree with your previous posts and happy that you like Onkyo the same way I do. It is the way it sounds.)

I watch movies through sony bdp s580 connected with monster analogue interconnects to my Onkyo tx 8050 set on BD/DVD mode ( as there is no HDMI connection and Digital connection will be downscaled to 48 khz.) To be quite honest, sound is good however it is not as good as SACD or streamed Hi rez tracks. Partially down mix to stereo in sony  is to blame I think , but still  Onkyo does quite a decent job. Some movies sound  a bit strange, even though put on stereo in setup. Again, it may be down to poor stereo track, as all attention is on TRUE HD 5.1 or 7.2 channels. In this case I go to optical digital connection from my Sony Bravia and it is sound great ( even downscaled to 48khz).

Different Blue rays will sound differently and you will have to rely on ether BD player down mix to stereo capabilities or stereo track quality on blue ray set up. But Onkyo is so flexible you still enjoy the sound.

Pages