471 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
RE: Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

Have you moved your speakers (or has someone else...)?!

EDIT: Seeing your iother thread, and that you've swapped out the 8050 for the Rotel pre/power pairing but still missing top end detail, sounds like a speaker or source problem perhaps?

GMK's picture

No, not at all. I've even tried three different sets to see if one were acting up (and tried both CDP's). I will get to the bottom of this. I'll be left with severe egg on my face if I can't better what I had before (I'm determined to inject a bit more soul into the music and in three weeks I've now ended up with this massive backwards step). This is certainly an all encompassing hobby/life sentence :doh:

ID.'s picture

the record spot wrote:

I like playing around with different amps - I landed a Sony ES model a few months back and used that for a while, then I picked up a hefty Harman Kardon amp that had my name on it.  Just unplugged the HK and popped the Onkyo back in.  It's back in place and singing like a bird!  Lovely amp.

Nice one. If I had more room to store kit I'd love to do the same.

Stuff.

GMK's picture

I don't have space and I still do it ROFL

Same here....oops!   Smile

GMK's picture

Seeing your sig TRS has made me tempted to try my Tannoy V4's again with my CD63KI and Onkyo 8050

Not sure what the V4s are like - never heard them - but the DC4 works a treat.  It's a very unforced sound.  Very easy to listen to for hours on end (important for me as I do precisely that!).  Not so great if you want the whizz bangs, but then again, those systems seem to tire the ears out before you've gone too long with them!

GMK's picture

This is exactly the type of sound I want. Impressive (read tiring) is the polar opposite of what I'm after. Maybe I should try the DC4's. Do you think the CD52 is similar sounding to the CD63 I have? If so they might be perfect

Not sure mate; I think the CD52 SE has a great sound to it.  Really open, but not excessively so.  Good onboard DAC too, transport is, I think the Philips CDM4.  It reads a disc in no time.  It'll be playing the CD by the time I sit back down again and I'm barely two steps from my seat!.  

The DC4s work brilliantly in smaller or more compact room settings.  Mine are firing across the room rather than down the length of it and the DC4s offer up a great sound.  Music is lucid, wonderfully presented and with plenty of scale.  Seriously, don't buy into all that "they don't do bass" that you read.  I wasn't expecting much, but in the right setting, they'll amaze you.

They're great with movies too - it's not the first time I've looked out the window to hear a car alarm going off thinking it was in the parking area downstairs (there's a small car park by the beach I overlook from my living room).  Or the scene in rainman where the smoke alarm in the kitchen goes off.  I have two in my hall at either end and I thought one of them had gone off by mistake.  The DC4 images superbly, but throws out a scale that was beyond my expectation.

It's a very neutral setup I find.  Play a flash drive off the USB input on the 8050s fascia and the bass will make your jaw drop off the DC4s.  

That's the great thing about this setup for me - it just doesn't get in the way of the music or the film and the flexibility is beyond reproach IMO.  

GMK's picture

Quite frankly now I'm at the stage where I really just want to fit and forget. I'm not there yet, but I remember the days of less choice and ultimately simplicity, and just enjoying the music rather than hearing what the hifi was doing. I should be able to get around £200 for the V4's, and with the DC4 available new at £260, it's looking very tempting to explore that option.

What's your room size Gibs?  Is it a smaller or larger affair?  That might be the factor that swings it ultimately.

EDIT: Incidentally, here's a review from 1993 of the CD52 MkII SE...bear in mind, you can probably snag a good one of these for around £50 now:-

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/review/Marantz-CD52MKIISE-CDplayer/

GMK's picture

I've been relegated to the 2nd bedroom (medium sized double), hence why my Talisman's are in storage at the minute. Once I'd sorted the mass loading issues I had they were stonking, but they're just too big for the current location. Stand mounters are really the only option, hence why the DC4 looks tempting. Having said that I was really disappointed with the V4's (hugely detailed but flat and devoid of warmth or emotion), so I'd hope the DC4's were somewhat different

Better get that demo organised then mate!   Smile

simon740's picture

Hello,
I have one question regarding the Onkyo TX-8050 and its USB support.
In fact I have a Toshiba 500GB external hard drive from which it is almost always read  the music ... But now suddenly no longer works ... all other Department Equipments in house identify Toshiba 500GB disk, Onyko do not want ... If I reset the receiver, it works, but when I upload new music again, the second time it no longer recognizes. What could be wrong? Other USB keys normally reads .. again and again ..
Please help ..

Simon

simon740's picture

simon740 wrote:

Hello,
I have one question regarding the Onkyo TX-8050 and its USB support.
In fact I have a Toshiba 500GB external hard drive from which it is almost always read  the music ... But now suddenly no longer works ... all other Department Equipments in house identify Toshiba 500GB disk, Onyko do not want ... If I reset the receiver, it works, but when I upload new music again, the second time it no longer recognizes. What could be wrong? Other USB keys normally reads .. again and again ..
Please help ..

Simon

anyone??

Pages