471 posts / 0 new
Last post
Twill's picture
RE: Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

I'm guessing that, with the stir this unit appears to have caused, more manufacturers will come in to the market with similar products later this year... and didn't I read somewhere that Onkyo had new products in this area due in the autumn too?

could it be therefore that for those interested, it's worth waiting and seeing what other network receivers turn up later this year?

It's certainly an area I'm interested in, but I wonder if products of this kind are set to make big steps forward in the near future.

Then again, I guess the prices will be bigger if they're newer, and that's certainly a big plus for the 8050.

marou's picture

If you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, download the Shazam app to identify (most) tracks

Andrej_1's picture

Twill wrote:
It's certainly an area I'm interested in, but I wonder if products of this kind are set to make big steps forward in the near future. .

Every new generation will bring something new (when you step in this area), but on the other hand (for now), I'm not expecting much more from stereo receiver. There is still room for media players like Squeezebox (bigger display, better handling with large databases - servers etc.).

TX 8050 have (from my point of view) two glitches: no album artist and title information when playing internet stations (resolvable with smart phone apps, like someone suggested above) and lack of gapless playing (no need for perfect gapless, just approximation)

Why (just) glitches - they can be corrected with some programing in new firmware. The hardware is all I need.

Crocodile's picture

Not sure how this sits with current house rules but I'm sure the Mods will delete if unacceptable.

Just stumbled across someone on AVF selling the UP-DT1 DAB add-on which appears to now be discontinued. Thought it may be of interest to one of the owners here?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-hi-fi-classified-adverts/1646126-sale-onkyo-up-dt1-dab-dab-digital-tuner-module.html

I'm in no way connected with the seller.

MisterE's picture

Sorry to bump this old thread but............ Have just got some TDL Studio 0.5 speakers  (original Transmision Line ones from the 90s) hooked up to my Onkyo.  I could go on for hours about how good these speakers are but I will try and stay on topic.  The Onkyo is sounding amazing.  The brightness and harshness that was there before has disappeared.  ( Although I found, to my ears, the sound filled out and smoothed after a couple of months of running it in )  Now the sound is so warm, rich and smooth and yet still very revealing. I really have to drive my amp to make the TDLs sing but when it opens up. wow! sound clarity and depth is amazing.  My friend has a full naim set, supercap the full works. He drives B&W CM9s and to my ears my set sounds better than his. 

Funnily enough I have been contemplating using this amp as a pre and getting another amp to use as the power amp but now I know there is no need.  This amp impresses me more and more the longer I have it.  Its a keeper.

moon's picture

Incredibly it doesn't look like the OP uses the Onkyo any more, looking at his Sig.

the record spot's picture

Still have it though it has a problem in that the Pure Audio function is no longer available when you select it - it's going back to Superfi after Christmas.  Still a terrific amp, vastly underrated by most.

crang's picture

Probably teaching grandmother to suck eggs? however, I had same problem found it was because I had zone 2 activated.

hope you get fix Ok?

the record spot's picture

Thanks for that; I'll check when I plug it in again but don't recall having Zone 2 selected.  Worth a try though.  Cheers mate.

SKoob's picture

I'm really tempted to buy one of these, would it be much of an upgrade from my cr-n755? Does this work well with BX2?s

crang's picture

As you can see with my sig I have TX8050 & BXs.They are a great pairing especially when the wicks turned up!.

I too have Z2 stands how did you improve? Tried filling but hole far too small?

Cheers

crang's picture

As you can see with my sig I have TX8050 & BXs.They are a great pairing especially when the wicks turned up!.

Cheers

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I've found this thread quite useful. Just ordered an 8050. A couple of practical questions to 8050 owners:

1. I plan on connecting four 8-ohm speakers but will sometimes use all four and other times use just the main pair (depending on the input source). Do I really need to go into the menu and change the ohm setting each time I turn the "B" speakers on or off? This seems to be what the manual officially suggests.

2. Another option would be run from the pre-outs into a separate amp and run the second set of speakers from that. It shouldn't do this but does the Onkyo disable its speaker output signal when it detects that the pre-outs are sending a signal? In other words, can I simultaneously run one pair from the Onkyo and another from a secondary amp via the pre-outs?

Thanks!

SKoob's picture

crang wrote:

Cheers

They came filled with polystirien. Not sure how much difference it makes though.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Now that I have the receiver I can answer the second question for myself (in case anyone else ever needs the information).  The Onkyo, as it should, does feed the speakers and the pre-amp outs at the same time.

I'm not sure if anyone else here has an attachment to an old receiver but I'd always been fond of the little Yamaha CR-220 I bought new in 1980 when I was 13. The phono section, to my ears, has always been excellent. So what I've done with the Onkyo is to pair the two. The turntable (an old Yamaha YP-B2 with an Ortofon cartridge) goes into the CR220 to be pre-amp'd. The signal then goes from tape out on the CR220 to CD in on the Onkyo. I did quite a bit of A/B testing and, to my ears, this combination sounds better than running the TT straight to the Onkyo (especially in the upper register).

I then use the power amp part of the CR220 as a headphone amp. The Onkyo iPod integration is excellent but connecting the iPod disables the headphone output (by design according to the manual). So I ran cables from pre-out on the Onkyo to aux in on the Yamaha. That way I can enjoy the Onkyo's DAC and still use headphones. So I end up using the Yamaha's preamp for one purpose and its power amp for another - all with remote control of volume, the iPod, etc.

Ipod notes: Most of the CDs I care about are now on my iPod classic as Apple Lossless files. In my office I use an optical out to run these from a Mac Pro to a different Onkyo receiver then out to a pair of Cizek IIs (no longer well known in USA anymore but almost a cult favorite in Italy for some reason).

The Onkyo's iPod integration is outstanding. Obviously it bypasses the iPod DAC which was a requirement for me. But, unlike any other equipment I've yet used, it allows simultaneous control by both the iPod and the Onkyo. I've set the master controller to be the iPod itself so I can select albums, songs, etc. there but the Onkyo still lets me pause, play and advance tracks from the remote (or from the iPod). It's brilliant.

Right now I'm running the Yamaha/Onkyo system to a pair of Advent Laureate towers I refurbished recently. They're very directional (like most older speaker) but quite good otherwise.

Thanks for this great thread. It's what convinced me to try the 8050.

Pages