471 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
RE: Onkyo TX-8050 alert - It's arrived, it's arrived!

That makes interesting reading JD.  Never heard the SA1s, but the N5s wouldn't be £399 instore I doubt.  Not when the dealer margin's been included.  

I could up the budget alright, that's not the issue.  In fact, these days, I tend to lean towards the speaker being the most important element of a system.  Nowadays, digital sources aren't a major issue for me, there's hardly any difference between my CDP and the Onkyo (amazing that we can compare the capabilities of a receiver against a CDP too!), so it's really down to how the speakers are voiced.

ear's picture

I suggest fast sounding speakers. the QA 2020i should gel very well with that receiver

John Duncan's picture

the record spot wrote:

That makes interesting reading JD.  Never heard the SA1s, but the N5s wouldn't be £399 instore I doubt.  Not when the dealer margin's been included. 

Don't think they're available in dealers at all nowadays, what with all of them being scheming, conniving charlatans an' all* but they were the same £399 price in stores and online when I bought them IIRC.

the record spot wrote:

I could up the budget alright, that's not the issue.  In fact, these days, I tend to lean towards the speaker being the most important element of a system.  Nowadays, digital sources aren't a major issue for me, there's hardly any difference between my CDP and the Onkyo (amazing that we can compare the capabilities of a receiver against a CDP too!), so it's really down to how the speakers are voiced.

Tend to agree on the source thing, given a good quality, nicely isolated DAC, but I'd err towards the amp/speaker combination being the thing, rather than speakers on their own.  That said, I have found that spending a disproportionate amount on speakers makes the biggest difference of the three, within reason.

*this is a lie for comic effect

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Gareth82's picture

Thanks for confirming that external hard drives work with the Onkyo Dariushifi. Do you know if the Onkyo works with gapless playback from a external hard drive and nas drive?

thanks

Gareth82's picture

Hi RecordSpot, hope you don't mind but i have got a couple of questions about the 8050.

Have you had a chance to try out streaming music files to it yet?

Does the txt scroll on the display when viewing music files?

How is the Onkyo at low listening levels?

Thanks, your feedback would be great as my Wharfedales are so bright with my Kandy it gives me a headache and i am either going to have to change the speakers or cut my losses and change the Kandy for the Onkyo and at the moment the Onkyo seems like the better option.

Hi Gareth,

Sorry for the delayed reply; yes I've streamed music and it works a treat.  It picked up the music on the laptop easily, it being DLNA compatible.  Started streaming and never missed a beat.  Very impressive and sounds good at low listening levels (or at least it is with my speakers, YMMV).

Gareth82's picture

Thans for the reply recordspot.

It seems like i  going to pick up a 8050 in the new year, being 6ohms and having alot of power it would match my speakers great. I do like the Kandy but when i add up the cost of buying £600 plus speakers and then getting a streamer of some sorts it would be quiet alot and i think the most wallet friendly idea would be to get 8050 and keep my speakers. I think the 8050 would be great as a system for music and movies and that i could make use of all the great features.

have fun enjoying the 8050 and have a great christmas.

sorry one last thing, does the 8050 support gapless playback and do you now if it can play 24/96 files?

Thanks

Hi Gareth, don't know about gapless playback yet, but it handles 24/96 and the following formats: MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, WAV, AAC, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, LPCM.  No idea which DAC it uses, but it's very good.  The other thing about this amp is its effectively a high current design as well as just having loads of power on tap, which probably helps things along nicely.  Here's the datasheet from the Onkyo site:-

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/downloads/1/4/6/2/6/ONKYO_TX-8050_datasheet_EN.pdf

Gareth82's picture

Thans for the reply.

Looks like Onkyo have got a winner here, let's hope the mag reviews it soon, i think it may deserve a WHF Award next year.

It looks like i will definately be picking one up soon as all of my music is Digital now and the 8050 looks like the perfect one box solution.

Must admit, nothing else touches it just now.  For the price, it's astonishing.  The flexibility, the connectivity, the underlying functionality, the means to add a power amp and so on and so on.  I've no idea why Onkyo haven't provided a test model but I've yet to read a poor owner's review yet (there's a few on the web), but they should; this kit's a blinder.

dariushifi's picture

In response to Gareth82

Onkyo 8050 streams Hi Res 24/96 files in FLAC and WAV formats no problem as it does play them through USB port from my Seagate flash 250GB hard drive as well. However it does not support gapless play as you would like, but if I am hornets that is a small compromise in exchange for the quality of sound. Also you can find my review in previous forum title.(below)

Streaming set up should be straight forward however it Depends on your computer and home network set up. I would advice to use Ethernet cable and connect Onkyo to switch box (£15 Netgear in Amazon) first and then in to your router, as it helps to eliminate interference from other devices, ( I have noticed difference) My computer linked up to my old router wirelessly  it works OK, however in other forums people advice to have wire connections as in busy network Hi Res files might have some interference and skips.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/onkyo-tx-8050-network-stereo-receiver-home-test-impression#comment-2676506

Gareth82's picture

Thans for the reply Dariushifi.

I think for how much the Onkyo costs and what it is capable of i can manage without gapless playback. It's very handy to know that the usb port works with a Seagate External Hard drive as i have currently got a 1TB one half full with FLAC/WAV files. One thing i did want to ask was does the txt on the display scroll when viewing music folders? 

Thanks

dariushifi's picture

Onkyo’s display has two lines with 14 characters each for song and artist titles and they both scroll. Display button on remote changes it into track time, bit rate, file format. I named all folders carefully and clear to make it easy to navigate. Onkyo can manage Each folder containing up to 20000 music files, and folders nested up to 16 levels deep so it is quite something, although my filing is as lean as possible to speed up and simplify navigation and it works.

There is video output and I assume you can navigate on TV screen, the feature I have not investigated and tried yet. Also there is android app for remote control which I haven’t tried yet either. To be honest display works very clear for me so I left these features out.

I am looking forward for a review from What Hi-Fi so much and I hope one day we will get it, as this Onkyo received very good reviews in Germany. Interesting what What Hi-Fi thinks about it.

Gareth82's picture

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realise you could change what info is displayed on thedisplay, it's quiet handy to be able to view the bitrate.

Yes i hope the Mag reviews it soon, as i said to RecordSpot, i reckon it has the potential to be a award winner next year. To me it seems the perfect one box solution and great value for money. Can't wait untill the new year when i finally get mine.

dariushifi's picture

It will be interesting to find out your first impresion ones you try it out. But for this price it would be hard to complain.

Pages