Have your say & ask the experts!

Not everyone's cup of tea....

21 replies [Last post]
L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238

Could anyone inform me of the  best sub out there. .. for hi-fi and/or for 11.2 home cinema set-up...

 

What someone should look into for a good sub?

Inches...

Power...

Hertz....

 

Thanks........

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11417
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

At what price level?

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

CnoEvil wrote:

At what price level?

 

 

No price limit.. however I would appreciate it if we can have two price ranges..

 

A. Upto 1000 gbp

B. Over 1000 gbp

Thanks

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11417
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

If you are looking for a really good sub:

- 15 -> 18 ins

- 1000 -> 1200W

- 15 Hertz (+/- 3db)

- Decent EQ system

- Sealed

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

NHL
NHL's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Nov 2009
Posts: 508
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

Focal have a new sub which even can be mounted on the wall, for whatever reason. Not for a flat.

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

CnoEvil wrote:

If you are looking for a really good sub:

- 15 -> 18 ins

- 1000 -> 1200W

- 15 Hertz (+/- 3db)

- Decent EQ system

- Sealed

 

Thanks.....

Any prefered brands??? 

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11417
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

L00k_C wrote:

Thanks.....

Any prefered brands??? 

The brands that I rate are:

- Paradigm

- Velodyne (DD and SPL Ultra series)

- SVS (Sealed)

- JL Audio (Fathom)

- KK Sound (due to F. Harvey's opinion)

- Kef Ref 209

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

beauty, eh

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

beauty, eh

clinton333's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Posts: 103
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....
__________________

Arcam FMJ

KEF Reference

Oppo BDP105

JVC DLA 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5903
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

What's with the thread title?

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

ID.
ID.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1320
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

BenLaw wrote:

What's with the thread title?

Made me think the OP was worried that he was going to be given a hard time for wanting to run a sub for stereo listening.

__________________

Desk-Fi: Mac Mini - NuForce Icon HDP - Fostex PM0.4n - Audio Technica ATH900x - Sennnheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i

Bedroom system: Esoteric RZ-1 - PMC DB1i / iPod Classic - Onkyo NDS1000 - Firestone Audio FUBAR IV

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10861
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

L00k_C wrote:
Could anyone inform me of the  best sub out there. .. for hi-fi and/or for 11.2 home cinema set-up...

 What someone should look into for a good sub?

Inches...

Power...

Hertz....

 Thanks........

It will partly depend how they're going to be used. With larger floorstanders that are set to small (an 80Hz crossover for example), a sub that has good response higher up the sub scale is called for - a sealed subwoofer will suit better in this respect. If the crossover point is set lower (40Hz for example) a sealed or ported sub can be used. If you're using the main speakers full range, a ported sub will usually be a better bet as these have the ability (if well designed) to reach deeper, and will add more to the lower end that the main speakers are missing or lacking.

How much power you need (and indeed, the number of drive units or size of the driver units) really depends on how loud you need them to play. Larger drivers will shift a lot of air, but can sound a little slower than using a higher number of smaller drivers. Having said that, like hi-fi amplifiers, a rated power output is only a guide, and won't really give you any indication of its ultimate ability.

How low you want the sub to go is really up to yourself. The lower you want to go, the larger the driver/drivers need to be, or more smaller ones will be needed. Higher power capability will be needed the deeper the sub goes.

There are many subs out there that will go stupidly loud and rattle your fillings ("fun subs"), but there are fewer that will combine many aspects like control, speed, scale, depth, and impact (a few examples) and produce them in a clean, invisible fashion, blending seamlessly with the speakers being used.

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

ID. wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

What's with the thread title?

Made me think the OP was worried that he was going to be given a hard time for wanting to run a sub for stereo listening.

 

Something like that ID.

 

And also its another thing to talk about a refine product like speakers...warmth, soundsrage aireness. ..

And another to talk for a sub....how many would have audition and bother about a sub.... in this forum...

 

Smile

 

P.s.  and to draw some attention to my post excellent!

L00k_C's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 238
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

L00k_C wrote:
Could anyone inform me of the  best sub out there. .. for hi-fi and/or for 11.2 home cinema set-up...

 What someone should look into for a good sub?

Inches...

Power...

Hertz....

 Thanks........

It will partly depend how they're going to be used. With larger floorstanders that are set to small (an 80Hz crossover for example), a sub that has good response higher up the sub scale is called for - a sealed subwoofer will suit better in this respect. If the crossover point is set lower (40Hz for example) a sealed or ported sub can be used. If you're using the main speakers full range, a ported sub will usually be a better bet as these have the ability (if well designed) to reach deeper, and will add more to the lower end that the main speakers are missing or lacking.

How much power you need (and indeed, the number of drive units or size of the driver units) really depends on how loud you need them to play. Larger drivers will shift a lot of air, but can sound a little slower than using a higher number of smaller drivers. Having said that, like hi-fi amplifiers, a rated power output is only a guide, and won't really give you any indication of its ultimate ability.

How low you want the sub to go is really up to yourself. The lower you want to go, the larger the driver/drivers need to be, or more smaller ones will be needed. Higher power capability will be needed the deeper the sub goes.

There are many subs out there that will go stupidly loud and rattle your fillings ("fun subs"), but there are fewer that will combine many aspects like control, speed, scale, depth, and impact (a few examples) and produce them in a clean, invisible fashion, blending seamlessly with the speakers being used.

Thanks david.

I would have liked the 3rd option.  Ie to use my full range speakers and get that extra loes with a sub....

I do not like yo have a rave party with them.   Even at mid volumes and even at easy lustening genre I like yto be able to feel this 'gut' feeling sound....

So should I go with two smallones?

And which amps provide sub outs? 

 

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 567
RE: Not everyone's cup of tea....

L00k_C wrote:

I would have liked the 3rd option.  Ie to use my full range speakers and get that extra loes with a sub....

I do not like yo have a rave party with them.   Even at mid volumes and even at easy lustening genre I like yto be able to feel this 'gut' feeling sound....

So should I go with two smallones?

And which amps provide sub outs? 

It is very difficult to integrate a sub into a 2 channel setup in a seamless way.  The point at which both sub and main speakers are active is very tricky to balance.  I have a parametric equalizer on my sub, and DSP filters on my processor. I messed around for a good couple of days solid with a measurement mic and test equipment to dial the sub in. Even then, its not perfect.

Sub's are great in 5.1 AVR setups, but I am not convinced that a 2.1 setup for stereo can be set up well enough to work properly.

Might be better just to buy mains with better LF performance.

 

__________________