Have your say & ask the experts!

New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

29 replies [Last post]
SpursGator's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 233

I was just perusing the Audio Affair site and I saw that there is a major change to the ProAc Reponse range coming. Funny thing is, there is no mention of it on the ProAc site. Was there an announcement that I missed? Audio Affair has published details of the speaker and photos but did they jump the gun? A Google search turns up nothing but a reference to the 'newly announced' D30s in March.

They look like replacements, at long last, for the D28s. The setup looks roughly the same as the D40 except with only one midbass driver, and an identical choice of ribbon or dome tweeters. The midbass looks the same as the cabon-fibre D40 driver except the description says that it has a polypropylene coating on the back of the cone. MSRP is a cool 4500 quid - over a grand higher than the D28. Wow.

__________________

Living Room: Mac Mini, Oppo BDP95EU disc player, Benchmark DAC1, Balanced Audio Technology VK-50 SE preamp, McIntosh MC150 power amp, DIY 22 litre standmounts based on Scan-Speak 18W/8542, DIY subwoofer based on 15" Dayton Reference HF and a Hypex DS4.0 amp.

Office: A bunch of computers, Cambridge DACMagic, Naim Nait 5, DIY 11L standmounts based on Scan-Speak 15W/8530K00

On hand, testing, or selling: Pathos Logos, ProAc Response D18, B&W PV1D subwoofer, Tripath 2020-based 'Class T' amp, Single-driver speakers based on Fostex FE103EN, PMC DB1i, Boston A25, Roth OLi RA2

Recently sold: KEF Q300 speakers, AudioEngine D1 DAC, Mini TL speakers based on Seas W15LY001

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10874
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

D28's are not being discontinued - they're currently one of ProAc's most popular speakers!

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

SpursGator's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 233
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

D28's are not being discontinued - they're currently one of ProAc's most popular speakers!

I know, but they are also the member of the Response range that have gone the longest since the last refresh. If the D28s stay in the range, there will be three '6+1' floorstanders in the range. I see how the D18 is very different from the D28 but it's hard to see both a D28 and a D30 in the same lineup. And the numbering would seem to indicate it as well (they didn't keep the D25 when the D28 was released, or keep the D15 after the D18 was released).

David, can you share anymore info about this product release? Has ProAc announced anything?

__________________

Living Room: Mac Mini, Oppo BDP95EU disc player, Benchmark DAC1, Balanced Audio Technology VK-50 SE preamp, McIntosh MC150 power amp, DIY 22 litre standmounts based on Scan-Speak 18W/8542, DIY subwoofer based on 15" Dayton Reference HF and a Hypex DS4.0 amp.

Office: A bunch of computers, Cambridge DACMagic, Naim Nait 5, DIY 11L standmounts based on Scan-Speak 15W/8530K00

On hand, testing, or selling: Pathos Logos, ProAc Response D18, B&W PV1D subwoofer, Tripath 2020-based 'Class T' amp, Single-driver speakers based on Fostex FE103EN, PMC DB1i, Boston A25, Roth OLi RA2

Recently sold: KEF Q300 speakers, AudioEngine D1 DAC, Mini TL speakers based on Seas W15LY001

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10874
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

The D28 does continue.

The D30 and D30R (ribbon tweeter) will be available from mid June. The D30 will be £4500, and the D30R will be £4750 (standard finishes). 

After the D40 was released, we sold off our D28's expecting those to change too, and over a year later we got them back in, as we we're (repeatedly) told they weren't going to change (we didn't believe them!). I'm glad we did get them back in, as they're a great sounding speaker. 

So there you go Smile

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

SpursGator's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 233
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

Thanks for the info David - it is very interesting. They have always had three floorstanders in the Response range so I assumed they wouldn't go to four. But they have staked out a price point well north of the D28 so looks like this is the plan.

The 2.5 / 25 / 28 is a bit of a classic. Surely there will continue to be a market for it.

Since this thread probably will attract people looking for ProAcs, I have another question for you. I demoed the D18 and the D28 at the same time in my home - I kept them for three weeks and in the end chose the D18s. My impression was that the D28 had better bass, obviously, but that the D18's midrange was quite a bit better. I think that a lot of people view the D28 as a D18 with better bass, but as you know this is not the case at all - the speakers have very different personalities. Not only did I prefer the overall voicing of the D18 but I didn't really like the 'better' bass of the D28s - the low notes were loud but they suffered from a very boomy character - I felt like I could hear too much of the bass-reflex port. This is more down to my listening setup than any real problem with the speakers - I was sitting too close to them. Even the WHF review notes that they need quite a bit of space to work well and I don't have enough. the D18s, in other words, worked better for my room.

The question: To your ears, is the D40's character more comparable to either of its little brothers, or is it completely different? I'm sure that the bass is another level due to the 2.5-way design, but what about the midrange? Is it better than the D18? I am very curious as to what the D30 can bring to the table that the D18/D28 does not. Clearly they think it's a grand better; I have my doubts simply due to the limitations of the 2-way design. What are you expecting from the D30 that might get your customers to part with an additional thousand quid?

__________________

Living Room: Mac Mini, Oppo BDP95EU disc player, Benchmark DAC1, Balanced Audio Technology VK-50 SE preamp, McIntosh MC150 power amp, DIY 22 litre standmounts based on Scan-Speak 18W/8542, DIY subwoofer based on 15" Dayton Reference HF and a Hypex DS4.0 amp.

Office: A bunch of computers, Cambridge DACMagic, Naim Nait 5, DIY 11L standmounts based on Scan-Speak 15W/8530K00

On hand, testing, or selling: Pathos Logos, ProAc Response D18, B&W PV1D subwoofer, Tripath 2020-based 'Class T' amp, Single-driver speakers based on Fostex FE103EN, PMC DB1i, Boston A25, Roth OLi RA2

Recently sold: KEF Q300 speakers, AudioEngine D1 DAC, Mini TL speakers based on Seas W15LY001

ISAC69's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 547
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

The D28 does continue.

The D30 and D30R (ribbon tweeter) will be available from mid June. The D30 will be £4500, and the D30R will be £4750 (standard finishes). 

After the D40 was released, we sold off our D28's expecting those to change too, and over a year later we got them back in, as we we're (repeatedly) told they weren't going to change (we didn't believe them!). I'm glad we did get them back in, as they're a great sounding speaker. 

So there you go Smile

 

Hi David 

 

Is there big difference between the Studio 140 mk2 to the Response  D18 and between the D18 to the D28 ? 

__________________

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

 

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10874
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

ISAC69 wrote:
David@FrankHarvey wrote:
The D28 does continue. The D30 and D30R (ribbon tweeter) will be available from mid June. The D30 will be £4500, and the D30R will be £4750 (standard finishes). After the D40 was released, we sold off our D28's expecting those to change too, and over a year later we got them back in, as we we're (repeatedly) told they weren't going to change (we didn't believe them!). I'm glad we did get them back in, as they're a great sounding speaker.So there you go Smile

Hi David

Is ther much difference between the Studio 140 mk2 to the Response  D18 and between the D18 to D28 ? 

There is. The Studio 140's seem to follow the more recent move towards a faster, more exciting sound compared to older ProAc models. Listen to the 140's and you'll hear more of an 'immediate' sound to them, rather than the richer, warmer presentation of the likes of the D18's. Again, the D28's are part of the 'older' sound, so more like the D18's, but there is quite a difference in bass presence between the two. I think most people expect the D18 and D28 to be fairly similar, just a "bit more", seeing as the D28's are a little bigger, but they're almost an entirely different speaker.

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10874
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

SpursGator wrote:
Thanks for the info David - it is very interesting. They have always had three floorstanders in the Response range so I assumed they wouldn't go to four. But they have staked out a price point well north of the D28 so looks like this is the plan.

The 2.5 / 25 / 28 is a bit of a classic. Surely there will continue to be a market for it.

Since this thread probably will attract people looking for ProAcs, I have another question for you. I demoed the D18 and the D28 at the same time in my home - I kept them for three weeks and in the end chose the D18s. My impression was that the D28 had better bass, obviously, but that the D18's midrange was quite a bit better. I think that a lot of people view the D28 as a D18 with better bass, but as you know this is not the case at all - the speakers have very different personalities. Not only did I prefer the overall voicing of the D18 but I didn't really like the 'better' bass of the D28s - the low notes were loud but they suffered from a very boomy character - I felt like I could hear too much of the bass-reflex port. This is more down to my listening setup than any real problem with the speakers - I was sitting too close to them. Even the WHF review notes that they need quite a bit of space to work well and I don't have enough. the D18s, in other words, worked better for my room.

Most people will have a personal preference when it comes to speakers, and some will prefer what they've been used to. While there will always be benefits with the next model up - whether technical or not - some may actually prefer the 'lesser' model. As an example, I prefer the balance of the KEF Reference 201/2's over the Reference 203/2's - the 203/2's will be technically better, but my preference says otherwise. It has always been the case and always will that some people may prefer the model that is supposedly inferior.

Quote:
The question: To your ears, is the D40's character more comparable to either of its little brothers, or is it completely different? I'm sure that the bass is another level due to the 2.5-way design, but what about the midrange? Is it better than the D18? I am very curious as to what the D30 can bring to the table that the D18/D28 does not. Clearly they think it's a grand better; I have my doubts simply due to the limitations of the 2-way design. What are you expecting from the D30 that might get your customers to part with an additional thousand quid?

The ribbon tweeter really does sweeten things up in comparison to the dome tweeters used in the other models, which has a 'bit of an edge' to it - some will prefer this, some won't. As this is not an option on the D28, this in itself might be enough so sway some people, but with the extra mid/bass driver you're halving the work that one driver has to deal with as well as reducing distortion, reducing driver travel and in doing so producing a tighter bass, and you also get the benefits of the d'Appolito style driver arrangement. You also have the more recently developed carbon fibre mid/bass drivers, and the same style bass loading as the D40, which is different to the D18 and D28. On top of that you also have whatever other small changes ProAc have made to this specific model.

Obviously we've yet to hear them, but seeing as the D30's have more in common with the D40's than the D28's, there should be a worthwhile difference between them. We'll see when they land in store Smile

 

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1527
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

I had a very quick listen to the Proac D30Rs this morning, when I was at my local dealer's on other business. I thought they sounded gorgeous, very smooth and silky, with a lovely sweet tone. What I'd call 'grown-up' speakers, with no in-yer-face brightness. Admittedly it was only a couple of minutes, and the dealer said they were still running in, but I'll certainly be giving them a proper audition once I've decided on my amp.

Matt

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 4356
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

matt49 wrote:

I had a very quick listen to the Proac D30Rs this morning, when I was at my local dealer's on other business. I thought they sounded gorgeous, very smooth and silky, with a lovely sweet tone. What I'd call 'grown-up' speakers, with no in-yer-face brightness. Admittedly it was only a couple of minutes, and the dealer said they were still running in, but I'll certainly be giving them a proper audition once I've decided on my amp.

Matt

Hi Matt

Nice one Smile

Btw, what electronics did you hear the D30R's with please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

__________________

Musicraft (Derby), Specialist Hi-Fi/AV & Multimedia Dealer

 

good accurate audio monitoring and good sound reproduction to all

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1527
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

You've got me there, Rick. I'm pretty sure I saw some Musical Fidelity boxes, but I didn't hang around to find out.

Matt

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 4356
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

matt49 wrote:

You've got me there, Rick. I'm pretty sure I saw some Musical Fidelity boxes, but I didn't hang around to find out.

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply and fair enough.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

__________________

Musicraft (Derby), Specialist Hi-Fi/AV & Multimedia Dealer

 

good accurate audio monitoring and good sound reproduction to all

igloo audio's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Posts: 26
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

Hi Matt,

Very good description of its sound.

The ProAc rep visited us with the D30R last week. We were using a Stello Ai700 integrated amplfier @ £4.5k and they sounded stunning, especially when using a Mac Mini/Auralic DSD DAC.

It's a dream upgrade over the D18!

Peter

__________________

Igloo Audio is an experienced Hi-Fi dealer in Tunbridge Wells, Kent and Sussex

ErikM's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Jul 2013
Posts: 19
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

Hi new user here.. I just ordered the D30R to replace my D2.. I'm currently using an Ayon Spirit MKIII .. It's  60 watts in pentode and 30 watts in triode. I can say that in pentode it could drive the D2 to very loud and clean levels, sounding much like the 200 watt Plinus it replaced. I'm hoping it will drive the D30R's ok.. any thoughts or opinions?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

ErikM wrote:

Hi new user here.. I just ordered the D30R to replace my D2.. I'm currently using an Ayon Spirit MKIII .. It's  60 watts in pentode and 30 watts in triode. I can say that in pentode it could drive the D2 to very loud and clean levels, sounding much like the 200 watt Plinus it replaced. I'm hoping it will drive the D30R's ok.. any thoughts or opinions?

I think you will be fine, and very fine it should sound too........so you tell us when you have all set up.

BTW. Welcome to the forum.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Macspur's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 May 2010
Posts: 1891
RE: New ProAc D30 speaker - a leak?

I've heard some very good things about Ayon equipment and a big fan of ProAc, so will look forward to your thoughts once all in place.

Mac

__________________

Accuphase E350 amp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP, Siltech 25th Classic anniversary 330I  XLR Harbeth Super HL5 on Sound Anchor Quod ELS63 stands, Chord Odessey2 SC.  Grado SR60I headphones.  HIFI RACKS Podium Reference rack.