New Amp and Speakers advice from Australia (so product availability is limited)
Hi all, your collective opinions and experiences would be very much appreciated.
I am in Australia so product availability is a large part of my problem.
I’m buying a new hifi (just amp & speakers) with the following criteria:
- The setup is in an 16 foot square, wood-floored room (however would like it to carry potential to fill double this space for when I move house next)
- I listen to some instrumental and vocal music, and a lot of punchy drum n bass, and dub from vinyl via a vestax mixer.
- I like loud/powerful music with punch, but I also produce a little on PC (through a mixer channel), so a natural “accurate” sound with clear definition is important.
- $3600 is my budget for speakers and amp, however savings to this would be a good thing.
- There is not too much space so nothing rear ported – speakers should be front ported or sealed if poss as they’d need to be within about 12 inches of walls to the rear.
I’ve been trying to find a perfect speaker to start with but I’ve got a bit stuck, so I’ve instead found the amps available first and narrowed down the main options… I cannot find a Kandy k2 to audition or buy, so would have to ship this from uk and is not preferred. This leaves two primary candidates:
Rotel 1520 - $1150 (concerned a little underpowered – my Cambridge Audio 50wpc now isn’t quite enough, and reviews say the phono stage isn’t the strongest on the rotel)
Marantz 7004 - $1100 (probably the best option and value? What are people’s concerns with this amp?)
So my options then would be some good quality floorstanders (the only primary choice non-rear ported ones I can find are the DC6T’s at ludicrous prices though):
TANNOY Revolution DC6T Floorstanders - $1999 (are these too expensive? and could they be too large for the space? What are other good options?)
Alternatively I’d be very keen to pick up a monitor / sub combo. I really like the sound of this sub:
Rythmic Audio F12 - $1000
What are my bookshelf / monitor options to match with either the rotel or marantz amp, plus the rhythmic sub?
I would like recommendations for something with high accuracy in the mid and treble, and also with a clear definition on the bass, but without necessarily needing a low bass cutoff (to allow the sub to carry nearly all the low load, without interfering or muddying the sound). Budget remaining for these would be around $1500.
#1: Rotel 1520 or Marantz 7004?
#2: Would Tannoy DC6T floorstanders be too much for an 16ft square room, and are they overpriced at $2k? What alternatives are there?
#3: What bookshelf/monitor options are there to match with either amp plus a Rythmic Audio F12 sub?
Cheers all… any input whatsoever would be great, and whatever the opinion I’ll try to audition a couple, but availability is very poor where I live.