Have your say & ask the experts!

New amp and floorstanders for £1500

156 replies [Last post]
richardw42's picture
RE: New amp and floorstanders for £1500

It's quite nice though. 

Ashley personally delivered both pairs of my speakers and got them going. 

TV room : Samsung 60" plasma-ATV3, -AVI ADM40, DM5 in 4.0,/Sonos ZP90,, Sky using Sonos for On Demand, PS4, Sony BDP S570 thru a Yamaha RXV3067. 

HiFi : Sonos ZP90 - AVI ADM9 RSS + AVI SUB

Bedrooms : 2 x Sonos Play 3

IPad Air for Sonos & Spotify / AKG K551

relocated's picture

Paul, 

This is where part of the arguments stem from.  Not properly reading the post or not recalling it properly or taking the title over the post.

The OP said, "am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?" and also asked,"has anyone got any other suggestions or opinions?"

This is not a pop at you.  All through this discussion a number of  people have been arguing on a foundation of sand.  The OP was asking if floorstanders were needed, not, that the OP exclusively wanted them and also asked for any other suggestions or opinions.

You [but I doubt it] and or others may consider this to be pedantic but it goes to the fundamental basis of this thread.  

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40  also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i

Paul.'s picture

relocated wrote:

Paul, 

This is where part of the arguments stem from.  Not properly reading the post or not recalling it properly or taking the title over the post.

The OP said, "am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?" and also asked,"has anyone got any other suggestions or opinions?"

This is not a pop at you.  All through this discussion a number of  people have been arguing on a foundation of sand.  The OP was asking if floorstanders were needed, not, that the OP exclusively wanted them and also asked for any other suggestions or opinions.

You [but I doubt it] and or others may consider this to be pedantic but it goes to the fundamental basis of this thread.  

Its not that we ignored it, its just that we believe the answer to be a resounding yes.  Yes, you probably do need floorstanders in that situation.  This assumption was justified later in the thread when music taste revealed either a Sub or floorstanders were nessesary.  Post number 14 out of 90 odd was 

DAN.COWLAM wrote:

Wow, thanks for all the links. Some serious thinking to do.  

I listen to all kinds of music but do like early 90's house music, with lots of piano sections and female vocals!

So, 75 posts ago you may have had a point.   

The argument is not really about volume, but bass responce.  Bass will suffer in a large space and that is not to do with volume.

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

CnoEvil's picture

relocated wrote:

The heart of the matter (imo) is whether small standmounts will have enough scale to fill a room of that size. I think this is more than just about how loud a speaker can go, but whether it has enough bass that it won't get overwhelmed by the area.

What counts as enough bass, is taste and music dependent.......I have big rooms to fill, and it takes either floorstanders or standmounts with a sub, to give the kind of impact that I require.

This is only my experience, which doesn't make it more valid than that of anyone else. 

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

relocated's picture

Paul,

What a shame.  I thought you had broader shoulders and the ability to acknowledge when you were in error.  Just goes to show that one does indeed learn new things each day.

Your  " Funny looking floor stander" comment was on the first page.  The comment that you later said this about, " My initial comment was flippant, and sorry to everyone if I accidently started this rubbish again".

You made a mistake, we ALL do that.

Incidentally, in case you missed it, the first response on page 1 was from another person who said, "i am in a very similar situation as you and was looking for a similar bit of guidance.".  So the recommendations were quite possibly for this person as well????

Thank you for your time.

hello or goodbye

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40  also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i

Paul.'s picture

Do you think the Amds would satisfy a dance music fan in a massive space?  Does your Amds produce a kick that you can feel in your chest at 6 meters?  

I was flippant, but I stand by my advice as a dance music fan who knows what bookshelves sound like in a large space.

Paul's system thread

Small speakers can be made to fill larger rooms but they will be reliant on a sub in order to do so. I'd stick Modeselektor's "Evil Twin" on to firstly see how low the speaker can reach, secondly to see how well they can pressurise the room with the low frequencies that they can get down to, and also to see if they can hold it together at those higher volumes. There's no standmount I know of that will pass all of those tests with flying colours, and chances are, most will fail on two or all three points.

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

Paul. wrote:
Do you think the Amds would satisfy a dance music fan in a massive space?  Does your Amds produce a kick that you can feel in your chest at 6 meters?  

Read my post above Smile

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

relocated's picture
RE: New amp and floorstanders

Paul. wrote:

I was flippant, but I stand by my advice as a dance music fan who knows what bookshelves sound like in a large space.

Amds, Amds, Amds????????????????????????     puzzled     No you have lost me there Paul.  I don't think I have come across Amds doing anything.  In fact I don't know any Amds.   doh!

Detail and accuracy, they are a nuisance are they not?

hello or goodbye

and Grado SR80i

Paul.'s picture

Yep.  I made a typo.  Its a regular occurrence.  Forgive me for miss-spelling the imaginatively named string of letters!  Still dodging the question huh?

Paul's system thread

richardw42's picture

I don't think anybody with an interst in hi Fi would imagine getting chest thumping bass from a standmount at those distances. I can confirm the bass is detailed and precise right up to high volume. 

Whereas cheaper floorstanders might well loose the plot before going very loud. There will be more bass but it might well be all over the place. 

TV room : Samsung 60" plasma-ATV3, -AVI ADM40, DM5 in 4.0,/Sonos ZP90,, Sky using Sonos for On Demand, PS4, Sony BDP S570 thru a Yamaha RXV3067. 

HiFi : Sonos ZP90 - AVI ADM9 RSS + AVI SUB

Bedrooms : 2 x Sonos Play 3

IPad Air for Sonos & Spotify / AKG K551

lindsayt's picture
RE: 101010 or 101 or 101000?

jcbrum wrote:

moon wrote:

. . . true, but doesn't the OP want a pair of floorstanders and a techy box attached to them ?

No, this is what he said in his opening post . . . 

"am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?"

He then asked for alternative suggestions.   I don't think he was right in thinking floorstanders to be mandatory.   The person who suggested AVI ADM9RSS speakers was right.  They will do the job.  

I attested that my personal experience confirmed that.

At the NEC, in one of the major halls, they produced an SPL of 100dB at a distance of 10m, (Ashley phoned me to confirm this today), and the tonal quality was superb, certainly much better than the large 5 foot tall Wilson Benesch floorstanders with which they were compared (probable cost in excess of 10k irrc).

It was a perfectly valid suggestion. imo.

JC 

According to this calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

100dbs at 10 metres (32.75 feet) would have meant SPL's of about 120 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair.

I thought that the AVI ADM 9's were rated at a maximum of 108 dbs for a single speaker - making them about 111 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair?

Where did the extra 9 db maximum sound pressure come from?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. 9 is the answer to life the universe and everything.

the record spot's picture

relocated wrote:

Amds, Amds, Amds????????????????????????     puzzled     No you have lost me there Paul.  I don't think I have come across Amds doing anything.  In fact I don't know any Amds.   doh!

Detail and accuracy, they are a nuisance are they not?

hello or goodbye

Not half as annoying as annoying little nitpickers...   poke, prod    Smile

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

relocated's picture
RE: 101010 or 101 or 101000?

lindsayt wrote:

jcbrum wrote:

moon wrote:

. . . true, but doesn't the OP want a pair of floorstanders and a techy box attached to them ?

No, this is what he said in his opening post . . . 

"am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?"

He then asked for alternative suggestions.   I don't think he was right in thinking floorstanders to be mandatory.   The person who suggested AVI ADM9RSS speakers was right.  They will do the job.  

I attested that my personal experience confirmed that.

At the NEC, in one of the major halls, they produced an SPL of 100dB at a distance of 10m, (Ashley phoned me to confirm this today), and the tonal quality was superb, certainly much better than the large 5 foot tall Wilson Benesch floorstanders with which they were compared (probable cost in excess of 10k irrc).

It was a perfectly valid suggestion. imo.

JC 

According to this calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

100dbs at 10 metres (32.75 feet) would have meant SPL's of about 120 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair.

I thought that the AVI ADM 9's were rated at a maximum of 108 dbs for a single speaker - making them about 111 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair?

Where did the extra 9 db maximum sound pressure come from?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. 9 is the answer to life the universe and everything.

Why shoot yourself in the foot/mouth/pen?  A really interesting and relevent post until the last line when you fall back into nonsense.  Such a shame that you demean yourself like that.

and Grado SR80i

busb's picture

moon wrote:

When I'm listening to my Hi fi at night, after dinner I really really enjoy the distinctly peaty yet mellow taste of FAMOUS GROUSE whisky. It really lingers on one's tongue and slips down a treat making you feel all warm inside. FAMOUS GROUSE the music lovers whiskey.

other brands are available, always read the label, enjoy in moderation

Famous Grouse is indeed one of the best blended whiskies  Wink

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true."

James Branch Cabell

MAIN: Apple TV2, Mac Mini (controlled from various iThings using Remote), CA Azur 751BD & Panasonic P42V20B into audiolab M-DAC, feeding a Primare A34.2 class D power amp via XLRs, 2x 5m of Atlas Ascent 2 firing up Totem Arros. DALI Kubik Free in my kitchen

ON THE HOOF: iPhone 5S/Sennheiser MM450.