Have your say & ask the experts!

New amp and floorstanders for £1500

156 replies [Last post]
jcbrum's picture
RE: 101010 or 101 or 101000?

lindsayt wrote:

My contention is that a decent pair of much larger speakers would fill such a room better.

Many people just do not want large speakers, and racks of techy boxes, in their living space, and are glad to be rid of all the room-filling clutter of yesteryear HiFi.

JC

moon's picture

jcbrum wrote:

lindsayt wrote:

My contention is that a decent pair of much larger speakers would fill such a room better.

Many people just do not want large speakers, and racks of techy boxes, in their living space, and are glad to be rid of all the room-filling clutter of yesteryear HiFi.

JC

true, but doesn't the OP want a pair of floorstanders and a techy box attached to them ?

RE: New amp and floorstanders for £1500

jcbrum wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Who knows what they'll be buying. Whatever it is, it'll be something from a dealer that is changing to meet demands.

Or direct from a factory outlet, and thereby avoiding the need to pay a very large dealer markup.

Lots of HiFi dealers are ceasing to trade because they can't compete in the developing marketplace.  

JC

"Mark ups" aren't necessarily as large as many people think (especially the anti-dealer mob). Most people expect a discount nowadays, so that 5-15% gone straight away, and if you have to match another dealer, you could be talking more. Add credit card charges, or even worse, interest free charges, and there's not really that much left. It's not that dealers can't compete, it because some are giving away too much discount for others to keep up with.

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

jcbrum wrote:

JC

That's all been changing for the last few years. Those with conventional systems are adding Sonos Connects and Squeezeboxes (if they're not adding on a full size streamer). Others are buying one box solutions like Naim Unitis and UnitiLites, right down to budget Denon CEOL systems - I'm guessing the next replacement for the Denon DM39 will stream too.  As someone else mentioned, Naim are moving more toward the one box route (although they're continuing their conventional hi-fi as it is still in demand). More manufacturers are building DACs into their amplifiers, and more boxes can stream music nowadays, or at least have the option of a plug in streaming module, like Primare. 

Having said that, I would still say that at least half of our customers are still using and wanting conventional multi-box systems, and last year we sold a record number of record decks (ranging from budget up to high end). 

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

lindsayt's picture

jcbrum wrote:

lindsayt wrote:

JC

Many people don't have 6m x 6m listening rooms! The OP does!

How far are the front baffles of your AVI's from the rear wall of your listening room? How far are the inner side faces of your AVI's from the side walls of you listening room? Do you have any large objects placed between the rear or sides of your AVI's and your rear and side walls?

I'll get onto the racks of techy boxes in my next post...

steve_1979's picture
RE: New amp and floorstanders

DAN.COWLAM wrote:
I listen to all kinds of music but do like early 90's house music, with lots of piano sections and female vocals! 

House music like all electronic dance music requires lots of deep bass to sound best. This means you'll want to use either big speakers on their own or small speakers with a subwoofer.

I suggest that you have a listen to the exellent Acoustic Energy ProSat and ProSub 2.1 system. clicky

Another option which is slightly over budget are these Event Opals on Ebay for £1512 plus £144 postage. Event Opals are fantastic sounding speakers that are capable of producing very good quality deep bass. You'll be hard pushed to find anything better than these for the money IMO. clicky

These are both active speaker systems so they'll need a pre-amp to control the volume. clicky

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

the record spot's picture
RE: New amp and floorstanders

Rather hope the OP goes with his first inclination and tries out the Q Acoustics 2050i.  A big speaker, subterranean bass and with a good amp will be nicely controlled.  Well under budget (Steve those Event Opals are nice enough, but the OP's budget is £1500, so your postage and the tin box volume controller adds another £200+ to the budget) and will sound excellent.  I wouldn't be fooled by the price either, the Qs perform well above their asking price.  Give 'em a spin I say!

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

jcbrum's picture

moon wrote:

. . . true, but doesn't the OP want a pair of floorstanders and a techy box attached to them ?

No, this is what he said in his opening post . . . 

"am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?"

He then asked for alternative suggestions.   I don't think he was right in thinking floorstanders to be mandatory.   The person who suggested AVI ADM9RSS speakers was right.  They will do the job.  

I attested that my personal experience confirmed that.

At the NEC, in one of the major halls, they produced an SPL of 100dB at a distance of 10m, (Ashley phoned me to confirm this today), and the tonal quality was superb, certainly much better than the large 5 foot tall Wilson Benesch floorstanders with which they were compared (probable cost in excess of 10k irrc).

It was a perfectly valid suggestion. imo.

JC 

BigColz's picture

Jesus christ this is boring.. Hifi shops have a mark up like every other shop on the highstreet.. They offer services, advise and 'try before you buy' and offer returns policy just like clothes shops, shoe shops and every other freaking shop! They have to pay rent, staff, utilities etc it's the basis of our whole retail sector and economy.. It's called supply andf demand! Which is why they don't stock actives as no one asks for them.  Yes online sales are cheaper and sometimes the way too go but if we all shoped online there would be no shops.. They are often very competitive and match online prices anyway so whats your beef?? Actives are mainly in pro audio so go to a pro audio shop! Most people want the many advantages of traditional Hifi and in this example WANT floorstanders to comfortably fill his larger listing room.. Bye  hello or goodbye

Electrocompaniet PI 2 | Naim ND5 XS | Chord Epic | ProAc Studio 115

Paul.'s picture

jcbrum wrote:

At the NEC, in one of the major halls, they produced an SPL of 100dB at a distance of 10m, (Ashley phoned me to confirm this today), and the tonal quality was superb, certainly much better than the large 5 foot tall Wilson Benesch floorstanders with which they were compared (probable cost in excess of 10k irrc).

It was a perfectly valid suggestion. imo.

see this is the sort of stuff which makes us suspicious.  My position is that I don't doubt that the AVI sound great, but I am in no position to ever hear them as I like home cinema too much and wouldn't want to waste the dealers time and my deisel to demo them.  BUT, how can a speaker which according to its specs cuts off at 60htz possibly sound better than a full range floor stander for many types of music?  If that was the case, why would AVI  make a floor stander?  

My initial comment was flippant, and sorry to everyone if I accidently started this rubbish again, but I stand by my initial assessment.  That is a funny looking floor stander!  It later transpired that the OP likes 90s house music, but it is not un common that people like thumping bass (definitely more common than transparency) and if someone is asking about floor standers it's probably for good reason.  Occam's razor and all that.  

Finaly, Ashley is calling you?  You got a landline in his building or something? :rofl:  Smile

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

spiny norman's picture

jcbrum wrote:
(Ashley phoned me to confirm this today)

Cat

'And so on February 22nd 1966, at Luton airport...'

hoopsontoast's picture

Direct line......

Main System: Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue  | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Rega Brio-R | ATC SCM10

Other Bits: Keesonic Kolt | Decware Zen

Hoops Stuff

jcbrum's picture

Paul wrote:

Finaly, Ashley is calling you?  You got a landline in his building or something? :rofl:  Smile 

Just a mobile phone, like most other people.

Ashley lives at the top of a steep hill in the Cotswolds.   He was snowed in at home, and I assume he was passing the time by browsing the forums.  He saw the post about ADM loudspeakers in big rooms and rang to confirm the SPL readings which AVI had measured at the NEC.

JC

richardw42's picture

I think some people find it utterly bewildering that a manufacturer should have any other contact with customers other than taking their cash. 

TV room : Samsung 60" plasma-ATV3, -AVI ADM40, DM5 in 4.0,/Sonos ZP90,, Sky using Sonos for On Demand, PS4, Sony BDP S570 thru a Yamaha RXV3067. 

HiFi : Sonos ZP90 - AVI ADM9 RSS + AVI SUB

Bedrooms : 2 x Sonos Play 3

IPad Air for Sonos & Spotify / AKG K551

Paul.'s picture

richardw42 wrote:

I think some people find it utterly bewildering that a manufacturer should have any other contact with customers other than taking their cash. 

Well I must admit, don't think I have ever had a manufacturer ring up for a natter!  Jonny Ive, if your bored mate, give us a ring I have a slow day today...

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page