Have your say & ask the experts!

New amp and floorstanders for £1500

156 replies [Last post]
the record spot's picture
RE: New amp and floorstanders for £1500

jcbrum wrote:

Poor old Ashley is very sensitive, and easily gets upset.

JC

Too right JC.  Mind you, subjectivity in audio show reviews from you lot; bloody ironic if you ask me!        beauty, eh

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

hoopsontoast's picture

An explination, 100dB could have been the peak (once) or some sweet bending the laws of physics

Anyway, it would had been interesting to hear some of the AVI speakes at Scalford had any of the owners signed up, there were a pair of the ADM9's at the first one IIRC. Sounded OK.

Main System: Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue  | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Rega Brio-R | ATC SCM10

Other Bits: Keesonic Kolt | Decware Zen

Hoops Stuff

jcbrum's picture

lindsayt wrote:

Can you explain how the ADM 9's were able to get 100 dbs at 10 metres at the NEC?

Yes . . .

1.  You use the loudest track you can find.

2. You stand 10 metres in front of them and increase the volume to max.

3. Press the button on the SPL meter.

I watched it happening.  It was very loud, but they didn't burst.  We all thought they might.

JC

p.s.  It might have been the ex-dem pair, which Max bought.

BigH's picture

richardw42 wrote:

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

You may not, but many others do.

A 5 hour round trip ?

In this country. 

5 hours is nothing can take me that long to get to Heathrow and back and that is only 140 miles. Last August went to Scotland that was about 10 hours one way. Also went to DEvon that was about 5 hours one way.

Overdose's picture

DAN.COWLAM wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have just moved house and am going to replace my amp and speakers to suit a new larger room, the space is 6m x 6m with the ceiling open to the underside of the rafters and the floor is tiled, am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?

This may or may not have been picked up on already, but your room is going to be quite 'live' given its equal dimensions and reflective surfaces.

Probably the most important part of your system in this instance is going to be dealing with the acoustics in the room.

I wouldn't say that floorstanders would be 'necessary' and indeed, floorstanders have just the same drivers as their standmount counterparts, they are not intrinsically louder, but perhaps portray bass differently. There are plenty of standmount speakers that would be perfectly suited to you requirements, once you have sorted out the potential acoustic problems of the room.

Think thick rugs on the floor, heavy curtains, drapes and maybe acoustic panels on the walls are the sort of thing that you will need. It sounds complicated, but is rather simple, although it is often overlooked as one of the most important parts of any system.

If the acoustics are not right, any system in this room will sound harsh and generally unpleasant.

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

BigColz's picture

Overdose wrote:

DAN.COWLAM wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have just moved house and am going to replace my amp and speakers to suit a new larger room, the space is 6m x 6m with the ceiling open to the underside of the rafters and the floor is tiled, am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?

This may or may not have been picked up on already, but your room is going to be quite 'live' given its equal dimensions and reflective surfaces.

Probably the most important part of your system in this instance is going to be dealing with the acoustics in the room.

I wouldn't say that floorstanders would be 'necessary' and indeed, floorstanders have just the same drivers as their standmount counterparts, they are not intrinsically louder, but perhaps portray bass differently. There are plenty of standmount speakers that would be perfectly suited to you requirements, once you have sorted out the potential acoustic problems of the room.

Think thick rugs on the floor, heavy curtains, drapes and maybe acoustic panels on the walls are the sort of thing that you will need. It sounds complicated, but is rather simple, although it is often overlooked as one of the most important parts of any system.

If the acoustics are not right, any system in this room will sound harsh and generally unpleasant.

they may have the same components but often have twice the mid/bass drivers or seperate bass, mid drivers and larger cab meaning they can project a lot more volume in comparison.. I agree on acoustics, I had laminated room with few soft furnishings and was horrible.. Rug at the floor reflection point will be the essential first step IMO

Electrocompaniet PI 2 | Naim ND5 XS | Chord Epic | ProAc Studio 115