Have your say & ask the experts!

New amp and floorstanders for £1500

156 replies [Last post]
DAN.COWLAM's picture

Hi everyone.

I have just moved house and am going to replace my amp and speakers to suit a new larger room, the space is 6m x 6m with the ceiling open to the underside of the rafters and the floor is tiled, am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?

My source is a marantz cd-67se which I may upgrade in future but for now I plan to live with it and put the money to the amp and speakers, I plan to spend about £1500 but may stretch a little!

At the moment I am looking at the rotel ra12 amp with b&w cm8's but it has been mentioned to me the rega brio r is worth a look with some rega rs5's, the q acoustics 2050s also look tempting but I am unsure about amp partnering.

I do have some music on the iPhone and so the dock on the front of the rotel is a worthwhile bonus to me,

I will be having a demo when I have done my homework, has anyone got any other suggestions or opinions?

Thanks

Dan

Philim's picture
RE: New amp and floorstanders for £1500

dan

i am in a very similar situation as you and was looking for a similar bit of guidance. i was looking ar either dc6t se or radiance 2 with either the aj19 or cyrus 6a. both of which be bought for 1200-1300. off to demo on saturday.

CnoEvil's picture

For amps you might like to consider

- Musical Fidelity M3i

- Harman Kardon HK 990

- Creek Enolution 2

For Speakers check out Epos Epic 5

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Shanka's picture

Hi,

I would add to list above Naim 5i, great amp for the money if you can live with a slight lack of functionality.

I saw the new Arcam yesterday and a nice bit of kit, not heard though but certainly worth a listen.

Will work well with Epos as well.

There are a lot of speaker choices and make sure to see how they match with the amp and your listening preferences.

Have fun and good luck

Roksan Caspian M2 cd/amp ; Proac Studio 140 Mk 2

Ariston RD11s SME 111 AT95e Rega Fono MiniA2D Exposure XXV B&W CDM1NT

therecruiter's picture

Amps:

Rega Brio R

Creek Evo II

Rotel RA12

Arcam FMJ A32 (FANTASTIC amp and a multi award winner: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-A32-Integrated-Amplifier-in-Silver-Hardly-Used-Immaculate-/150982045317?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item23273b2e85

NAD C356BEE (another stonking amp for good money): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C356BEE-STEREO-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-GRAPHITE-NEW-SEALED-RN4498-/251217420529?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a7db9a0f1

Cyrus 6XP or 6a: http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/cyrus-bargains/cyrus-6-xp-amplifier-2072896-406703-832081.php / http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/cyrus-bargains/cyrus-6a-amplifier-repro-2215941-406703-833005.php

Speakers:

B&W 684's or 683's: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-683-Floorstand-Speakers-Black-finish-Ex-Display-/251216091270?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a7da55886

Monitor Audio RX6's

QUAD 22L2's

Rega RS3's or 5's

2nd hand Neat Motive 2's (these are amazing speakers; small but with an amazing soundstage and staggeringly deep, taut & punchy bass): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neat-Acoustics-Motive-2-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-Light-Oak-Excellent-Condition-/321058622477?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4ac095cc0d

2nd hand PMC GB1i's

Dynaudio Excite 32's (well worth watching these): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNAUDIO-EXCITE-X-32-LOUDSPEAKERS-HIGH-GLOSS-PIANO-BLACK-/181064350419?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2a2846bad3

Personally my money would be on the Arcam FMJ A32 or Cyrus amps with the Neat Motive 2's but all the other speakers would work very well indeed as well. The NAD is a superb amp; very gutsy but some people find them a bit too bass strong but that's ok with me as I listen to a lot of electronica and house music etc...

Living room: iTunes to ATV 2 (via AirPlay) to Cyrus 8 DAC with KEF LS50 speakers - Tellurium Q Blue cables

Spare room: Marantz CR603, AirPlay, Monitor Audio RX2's - Chord Odyssey 2 cables

therecruiter's picture

Double entendre...!

Living room: iTunes to ATV 2 (via AirPlay) to Cyrus 8 DAC with KEF LS50 speakers - Tellurium Q Blue cables

Spare room: Marantz CR603, AirPlay, Monitor Audio RX2's - Chord Odyssey 2 cables

BigH's picture

For that money I would consider some active speakers like AVI 

ADM9RSS

which are about £1,400, they have high quality amps (250W) and DAC inside them, so just hook your cd player up.  

Wherabouts do you live?

Paul.'s picture

BigH wrote:

ADM9RSS

which are about £1,400, they have high quality amps (250W) and DAC inside them, so just hook your cd player up.  

Wherabouts do you live?

Funny looking floor stander

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

hoopsontoast's picture

Ex-demo Rega RS7 and a Brio-R could be worth a look. The only 'standmounts/bookshelves' that could really fill that room size would be something larger like the ATC SCM19 or larger Spendor models for example.

You could fit some Magnepan MMG's in there, about £700 new or some MG12's are about £1k S/H or Ex-Demo. If you dont mind them having a bit of space away from the rear walls.

Whatever you go with, some nice big thick rugs would probably help with the tiled floor.

Main System: Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue  | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Rega Brio-R | ATC SCM10

Other Bits: Keesonic Kolt | Decware Zen

Hoops Stuff

BigH's picture

Paul. wrote:

BigH wrote:

ADM9RSS

Wherabouts do you live?

I don't think you need floorstanders, anyway they were asking for other suggestions, as I say worth a listen if you can.

What sort of music do you like?

Shanka's picture

Cracking deal on those Dynaudios, very good speaker, listened to them when I was demoing speakers, they live up to their Excite name.

Roksan Caspian M2 cd/amp ; Proac Studio 140 Mk 2

Ariston RD11s SME 111 AT95e Rega Fono MiniA2D Exposure XXV B&W CDM1NT

Paul.'s picture

BigH wrote:

Paul. wrote:

BigH wrote:

ADM9RSS

Wherabouts do you live?

I don't think you need floorstanders, anyway they were asking for other suggestions, as I say worth a listen if you can.

Six meters by six meters is a big room.  Wouldn't the OP need to buy the matching AVI sub to compete with the bass of a floor stander?  That's way out of budget.

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

BigH's picture

Paul. wrote:

BigH wrote:

Paul. wrote:

BigH wrote:

ADM9RSS

Wherabouts do you live?

Six meters by six meters is a big room.  Wouldn't the OP need to buy the matching AVI sub to compete with the bass of a floor stander?  That's way out of budget.

Yes maybe but the speakers have 250W amps to drive them, as I say depends what sort of music they play.

jjbomber's picture

Paul. wrote:

BigH wrote:

rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing rolling on the floor laughing

Careful Paul. Cult meeting tomorrow morning and you will be the first voodoo doll with pins in. There's an even funnier reply on another thread posted yesterday. A guy wanted to spend £600 on a DAC and one of the cult members recommended the £1,400 AVIs. The British Comedy Awards have got nothing on these guys.

hoopsontoast's picture

Anyway, ignoring the AVI advert attempt........ doh!

Remember, 6m square is a big room, no amount of power into a 6" bookshelf will fill that properly. No replacement for displacement.

Main System: Michell Gyrodec SE / RB300 / 2M Blue  | Sony DVP-S9000ES | Rega Brio-R | ATC SCM10

Other Bits: Keesonic Kolt | Decware Zen

Hoops Stuff

therecruiter's picture

hoopsontoast wrote:

Anyway, ignoring the AVI advert attempt........ doh!

Remember, 6m square is a big room, no amount of power into a 6" bookshelf will fill that properly. No replacement for displacement.

This!

My folks have B&W CM9's with Cyrus integrated & power set-up (8VS2 with an 8Power) in a 5 x 5.5m dining room and it does the job nicely but the B&W 602 S2's and Arcam Alpha 9 system they had before hand struggled to fill the room with decent sound and the 602 S2's are big speakers!

I also think that the Arcam FMJ A32 and B&W 683 set-up would work superbly in your size room... Solid, gutsy amp with bags of power and big floorstanders with a massive soundstage... Ideal for filling a 6 x 6m room!