Have your say & ask the experts!

Need HiFi for digital music

19 replies [Last post]
uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37

Juz sold off my 3 years old entry level set :

- Marantz 6003 CD player connected to ipod touch via usb

- Marantz 6003 Integrated Amp

- Mordaunt Short Aviano 2 speakers

The reason I choose 6003 is becoz it supports iPod. Frankly speaking I dont think I loaded more than 5 cd into this player.

I want to upgrade to a new set without CD player. I have read on internet whereby Mac Mini is good as it can act as media player. But some commented its waste of money if I dont currently own one. My concern is if I add say ipod or mac or any laptop sound outlet via headphone socket to an amp, will the quality of the music be affected compared to via usb (made for ipod)? I also reaad about DAC but I have no knowledge on it.

My supplier friend recommend me this setup:

- Naim CD5i mkII CD player

- Naim Nait 5i mkII Integrated amp

- ProAc Studio 115 bookshelf speaker

What do u guys think about this setup BUT without the cdplayer. Thus I need help on recommend me a digital player that is good quality n can connect to the amp via the source input? Does an ipod or a mac mini or acer laptop give different sound output? 

One last question is there any good quality headphone socket to RCA cable? 

Pls give me some advise as I m stuck.

 

 

Overdose's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2008
Posts: 3135
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

uniquexme wrote:

- Naim CD5i mkII CD player

- Naim Nait 5i mkII Integrated amp

- ProAc Studio 115 bookshelf speaker

What do u guys think about this setup BUT without the cdplayer. Thus I need help on recommend me a digital player that is good quality n can connect to the amp via the source input? Does an ipod or a mac mini or acer laptop give different sound output? 

One last question is there any good quality headphone socket to RCA cable? 

Pls give me some advise as I m stuck.

Not bad. I use a Mac mini and have no issues.

__________________

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

nopiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1059
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

Instead of the Nait and CD5 duo, you could get a UnitiLite and treat the CDP as a bonus for when you need it.  Then you only have one box.  And can get a NAS with the money you save.

Or there any number of other streamers to choose from, though none as neat as the all-in-one.

 

__________________

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 611
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

Or Apple Airport Express into a 5i-2 and use Airtunes?

Or ipod via Russ Andrews GQ-24 (or equivalent) directly into 5i-2?

Or the UnitiLite!

__________________

Living Room: Samsung 40C7000; Oppo BDP-103EU; Onkyo SR308; Apple TV3; Airport Express; Sky HD+; Jamo A102 HSC5; Naim Nait 5i-2; Neat Iotas; Chord / Wireworld / QED / TCI interconnects and speaker wire; Harmony 550 universal remote; Tacima mains conditioner Portable: Shuffle (1G); iPad (1G); iPad Minil FiiO E1; AKG450; Grado SR60i; Sennheiser CX300II; custom Ultimate Ears Car: iPod Classic 120GB

lpv
lpv's picture
Online
Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 280
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

I can tell what i did. Macbook Pro as main source of music connected by optical cable to Rotel RA-11 ( with built in DAC) and Kef Q300 speakers:-)

__________________

 ATC • Benchmark 

ID.
ID.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1320
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

I use an iPod Classic as my main source. I use an Onkyo ND-S1000 as the dock to take a digital signal from the iPod which if feed into the DAC section of my RZ-1. Sounds as good to me as playing CDs. Not sure how to go about getting a digital feed from iPods with the new connectors. Airplay and Apple TV might be options there.

__________________

Desk-Fi: Mac Mini - NuForce Icon HDP - Fostex PM0.4n - Audio Technica ATH900x - Sennnheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i

Bedroom system: Esoteric RZ-1 - PMC DB1i / iPod Classic - Onkyo NDS1000 - Firestone Audio FUBAR IV

uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

nopiano wrote:

Instead of the Nait and CD5 duo, you could get a UnitiLite and treat the CDP as a bonus for when you need it.  Then you only have one box.  And can get a NAS with the money you save.

Or there any number of other streamers to choose from, though none as neat as the all-in-one.

 

I reviewed the UnitiLite you recommended. Its kind of cool n I believe I have found what I long looking for. So with this UnitiLite, all I need is a pair of speaker, and no amp required rite? I guess with ProAc Studio 115 it pretty much fall within my budget.

Sorry to ask. I only know NAS is a stack of harddisk. So may I ask how do u guys pick the songs without any screen? I think best combo would be connecting a laptop or mac mini. May I also ask how to connect mac mini / laptop to this UnitiLite? Via the headphone socket? 

uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

Juzzie Wuzzie wrote:

Or Apple Airport Express into a 5i-2 and use Airtunes?

Or ipod via Russ Andrews GQ-24 (or equivalent) directly into 5i-2?

Or the UnitiLite!

 

All these Apple Airplay,  do we need fast broadband connection in order to use it? Coz m in overseas outstation and we only have EDGE connection here. Does it utilize the actual broadband or adhoc mode?

uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

Juzzie Wuzzie wrote:

Or Apple Airport Express into a 5i-2 and use Airtunes?

Or ipod via Russ Andrews GQ-24 (or equivalent) directly into 5i-2?

Or the UnitiLite!

 

All these Apple Airplay,  do we need fast broadband connection in order to use it? Coz m in overseas outstation and we only have EDGE connection here. Does it utilize the actual broadband or adhoc mode?

nopiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1059
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

uniquexme wrote:

nopiano wrote:

Instead of the Nait and CD5 duo, you could get a UnitiLite and treat the CDP as a bonus for when you need it.  Then you only have one box.  And can get a NAS with the money you save.

Or there any number of other streamers to choose from, though none as neat as the all-in-one.

 

I reviewed the UnitiLite you recommended. Its kind of cool n I believe I have found what I long looking for. So with this UnitiLite, all I need is a pair of speaker, and no amp required rite? I guess with ProAc Studio 115 it pretty much fall within my budget.

Sorry to ask. I only know NAS is a stack of harddisk. So may I ask how do u guys pick the songs without any screen? I think best combo would be connecting a laptop or mac mini. May I also ask how to connect mac mini / laptop to this UnitiLite? Via the headphone socket? 

Yes, amp based on the Nait is built in.  There is a basic screen but the best way is to use the iPad or iPod app. They call it nStream.

I'm not expert enough to advise about the Mac Mini, but I believe others use it as a NAS or server or whatever (?), indeed Linn offer one loaded with all their Hi Res downloads as an incentive to buy a Linn DS.  Will it not connect in to your (W)LAN?

More here:- http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/unitilite

 

__________________

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

nopiano wrote:

uniquexme wrote:

nopiano wrote:

Instead of the Nait and CD5 duo, you could get a UnitiLite and treat the CDP as a bonus for when you need it.  Then you only have one box.  And can get a NAS with the money you save.

Or there any number of other streamers to choose from, though none as neat as the all-in-one.

 

I reviewed the UnitiLite you recommended. Its kind of cool n I believe I have found what I long looking for. So with this UnitiLite, all I need is a pair of speaker, and no amp required rite? I guess with ProAc Studio 115 it pretty much fall within my budget.

Sorry to ask. I only know NAS is a stack of harddisk. So may I ask how do u guys pick the songs without any screen? I think best combo would be connecting a laptop or mac mini. May I also ask how to connect mac mini / laptop to this UnitiLite? Via the headphone socket? 

Yes, amp based on the Nait is built in.  There is a basic screen but the best way is to use the iPad or iPod app. They call it nStream.

I'm not expert enough to advise about the Mac Mini, but I believe others use it as a NAS or server or whatever (?), indeed Linn offer one loaded with all their Hi Res downloads as an incentive to buy a Linn DS.  Will it not connect in to your (W)LAN?

More here:- http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/unitilite

 

To use the app nStream, I assume we need to connect to a wifi for both the UnitiLite and iPod or iPad?

nopiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 1059
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

uniquexme wrote:

To use the app nStream, I assume we need to connect to a wifi for both the UnitiLite and iPod or iPad?

As far as I know, yes.

__________________

Hi-Fi: Krell KAV-300cd, Michell TecnoDec/RB250/Grado Prestige Black1, KAV-300i amp, Transparent balanced interconnects and bi-wire to Sonus faber Concerto grand piano speakers, Nakamichi ZX-7 cassette deck, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Hitachi FT-5500 and Sony S570ES tuners, BCD Engineering stand, RA Powerlink, Chord powerchord, Grado SR60i cans.

AV: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 telly, BDP-S370 player with QED HDMI. Currently unused: Denon AVR-1705, DVD-1710, KEF KHT1005.2 

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 3612
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

I really think you should look at the Unitilite - its crying out for you and buy some qualitty speakers £700-1000 and then you will have a very credible & neat system!

Dont see the point in shelling out for a £900 CDP

 

__________________

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

 

 

 

 

 

Dommer's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Mar 2010
Posts: 53
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

If you're not going to play any CD's. then I would reccomand the all in one Naim UnitiQute, it's got a front USB port for attaching your iPhone or iPad as well as USB keys. This is the easiest way to quickly listen to your music. It also has FM/DAB and Internet radio. You can also hook up a laptop or computer however you should do this with an optical cable (your laptop needs to have an optical out) most Macs, apart from the MB Air, have the optical built into the headphone out.

The third option and the one I use, is to buy a NAS drive. Set it up on your home network. (This does requre a bit of networking knowedge) You will need a router connected to both the NAS and unitiQute. You then store your music on the NAS and stream it to the unitiQute. You can control it with the qute's remote or with the n-stream app installed on an iPhone or iPad (yes a wifi connection is required when using the n-stream app). No computer is needed after you do the initial network setup and copy your music to the NAS.

 

If you do think that you might occasionally play a CD, then the unitiLite would be a better option.

 

__________________

Naim UnitiQute & Naim NAP100, Chord Silver screen cables, KEF R100 speakers, Atlas Eos power cable.

Audiolab 8200CD + Sonos streamer, QED reference silver spiral interconnects, ProJect head box Amp, Grado SR225

uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

Yes. I have concluded my set. Naim UnitiLite with ProAc Studio 115. M waiting for quotation now from my friend. Any recommended speaker cables? M really glad for all the helps here as I have been looking something like this since the 1st day I bot my Marantz. But somehow there are not many ppl into digital music here. Else I would be wasting money on this new set juz like my old set.thank you to all pro here.

uniquexme's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
RE: Need HiFi for digital music

Dommer wrote:

If you're not going to play any CD's. then I would reccomand the all in one Naim UnitiQute, it's got a front USB port for attaching your iPhone or iPad as well as USB keys. This is the easiest way to quickly listen to your music. It also has FM/DAB and Internet radio. You can also hook up a laptop or computer however you should do this with an optical cable (your laptop needs to have an optical out) most Macs, apart from the MB Air, have the optical built into the headphone out.

The third option and the one I use, is to buy a NAS drive. Set it up on your home network. (This does requre a bit of networking knowedge) You will need a router connected to both the NAS and unitiQute. You then store your music on the NAS and stream it to the unitiQute. You can control it with the qute's remote or with the n-stream app installed on an iPhone or iPad (yes a wifi connection is required when using the n-stream app). No computer is needed after you do the initial network setup and copy your music to the NAS.

 

If you do think that you might occasionally play a CD, then the unitiLite would be a better option.

 

I have read the review on UnitiQute, seems nice and cheap but sorry to say cant accept the design of it. Since I have a mbp n 1 extra windows laptop, I would try both when my hifi arrived. As for NAS n networking I still hv not much knowledge. Or I might also try connecting 1TB 2.5" HDD directly to UnitiLite USB port paired with nStream app. 

I dont think m able to use wifi connection as like I said if it uses the actual broadband speed then I will not be able to use due to the slow connection of EDGE here. Unless it uses adhoc then I might try.

Anyway thank you guys for helping out. It really saves me alot of money n time searching. Have a nice sunday!