17 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51602
NAIM OR NOT

SYSTEM- REGA JUPITER CD, REGA CURSA 3 AND MAIA 3 AMPS R3 SPEAKERS THE PROBLEM IS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD A TURNTABLE SO THE PRE AND POWER AMPS WILL HAVE TO GO ( THE WIFE WONT HAVE ANYMORE BOXES)I HAVE HEARD THE SUPERNAIT WHICH I LIKED AND I WILL BE UP GRADING THE SPEAKERS AND CD WHEN FUNDS ALLOW I CANT MAKE UP MY MIND AS I HAVE HAD SUGDEN AMPS IN THE PAST WITH MY WALKER CJ DECK AND THE HIFI WORLD SEEMS VERY LOVE HATE TOWARDS NAIM GEAR SPEAKERS WILL HAV TOBE BOOKSHELVE OR SMALL COMPACT LIKE THE R3S HELP

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 797
RE: NAIM OR NOT

The Hi-Fi world may be love/hate towards Naim, but you liked the Supernait and that's all that matters. There is no point buying something you don't like just because the Hi-Fi World likes it. You have to buy what is best for you. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: NAIM OR NOT

CHEERS JJ ITS JUST THAT THERES SO MUCH GOOD STUFF OUT THERE AND BEING IN MY 50S THIS WILL PROBABLY BE MY LAST BIG UP GRADE  WOT U WANT AND WOT THE DRAGON WILL LET U HAVE IS TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

Helmut80's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/01/2011 - 12:25
Posts: 490
RE: NAIM OR NOT

I ALWAYS SAY BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AS YOU SHOULD ENJOY IT SO IF THAT IS THE SUPERNAIT FORGET ALL THE MARMITE TALK AND GO FOR IT PS NO NEED TO SHOUT AND PUNCTUATION CAN COME IN QUITE HANDY AS WELL I VE HEARD

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12417
RE: NAIM OR NOT

You need to listen to both Sugden and Naim (or even Luxman)......then pick the one you prefer.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

jjbomber's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 22/12/2006 - 00:42
Posts: 797
RE: NAIM OR NOT

hawkwind90 wrote:

CHEERS JJ ITS JUST THAT THERES SO MUCH GOOD STUFF OUT THERE AND BEING IN MY 50S THIS WILL PROBABLY BE MY LAST BIG UP GRADE  WOT U WANT AND WOT THE DRAGON WILL LET U HAVE IS TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

 

 

Don't pick on Dragons. Lots of Welsh people on the forum!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: NAIM OR NOT

Spent many years keeping the wife box happy!!  Couple of suggestions

Supernait does not have built in phono stage so you may need another box anyway for your turntable.  Had you considered an Arcam FMJ A38 which can be fitted with internal phono stage. With the money you save you can virtually purchase an Arcam CD37 especially if you Purchase the two together ...should be able get a good deal. You wont get the internal  DAC of the supernait of course. Before I upgraded to my present HDX/Supernait sytem I used an Arcam FMJ A32/ FMJCD36 and they produced a very refined sound that you could listen to for hours. (I could not part with the Arcam kit and still have it as a second sytem). Arcam sound very good with Spendor shelf/standmounts also the Dali speakers so you could auditions the DALI Mentor Menuet which very compact indeed. 

OR in order keep the wife happy had you considered CYRUS kit? As its half width you can stay with pre/power and if you prefer. If you use the Cyrus CD player you save more space so in the same space taken up by 2 full size units you could get a Cyrus pre/power setup , Cyrus Player and a Phono stage!. You have many specs to choose from including both integrated and preamps with on board DACS arguably your future proofed....

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: NAIM OR NOT

dont start me on the cyrus route or i,ll start looling at bel canto cheers

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: NAIM OR NOT

sorry for shouting to much hawkwind over the years and as for puntuwastion

Paul@HiFi-Lounge's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/09/2012 - 14:31
Posts: 96
RE: NAIM OR NOT

The Supernait is a real classic and I'm sure you'll be over the moon with it if you go down that route, as an alternative it may be worth looking at the Heed kit, it's getting great reviews on WHF and other mags at the moment and for good reason, I've been borrowing their Si integrated with the X2 power supply for the last couple of weeks to listen to, if you like the Rega sound I think Heed will definately agree with you, the only way I can describe it as is extremely smooth and musical, somehow you get all the detail but it just sounds so well rounded, you can't help but be pulled into the music.

It might not be the most well known brand in this country but I would definately try and hunt out a demo if possible, I think you'll be very impressed, and as a WAF it comes in white and black, is half sized and very discrete, almost apple-esqe, you can't go wrong, I was so impressed I've decided to take them on at HiFi Lounge, actually I find most of the time I'm listening to the Heed kit other than anything else.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12417
RE: NAIM OR NOT

Paul@HiFi-Lounge wrote:

.....as an alternative it may be worth looking at the Heed kit, it's getting great reviews on WHF and other mags at the moment and for good reason, I've been borrowing their Si integrated with the X2 power supply for the last couple of weeks to listen to, if you like the Rega sound I think Heed will definately agree with you, the only way I can describe it as is extremely smooth and musical, somehow you get all the detail but it just sounds so well rounded, you can't help but be pulled into the music.

It might not be the most well known brand in this country but I would definately try and hunt out a demo if possible, I think you'll be very impressed, and as a WAF it comes in white and black, is half sized and very discrete, almost apple-esqe, you can't go wrong, I was so impressed I've decided to take them on at HiFi Lounge, actually I find most of the time I'm listening to the Heed kit other than anything else.

I have a vague memory of the Ion Systems Obelisk back in the 80s, which from memory, was smooth and lively...I take it this one is a "grandson" of the well respected veteran amp.

Nice to see its return.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: NAIM OR NOT

strange you mentioned heed as id checked out there web page as whf put there amp in the top 30 amps in the august issue cheers paul.

NHL's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/11/2009 - 07:57
Posts: 544
RE: NAIM OR NOT

The funny thing is that some other mag found the Heed to be a copy of some old Naim classic, and now not up to the current market standard!

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16140
RE: NAIM OR NOT

CnoEvil wrote:
I have a vague memory of the Ion Systems Obelisk back in the 80s, which from memory, was smooth and lively...I take it this one is a "grandson" of the well respected veteran amp.

Same 'DNA'...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/obituary-richard-hay-1944-2012

 

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12417
RE: NAIM OR NOT

chebby wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:
I have a vague memory of the Ion Systems Obelisk back in the 80s, which from memory, was smooth and lively...I take it this one is a "grandson" of the well respected veteran amp.

Same 'DNA'...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/obituary-richard-hay-1944-2012

Thx Chebby for the link.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

malthus80's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 30/10/2008 - 00:55
Posts: 129
RE: NAIM OR NOT

If you like the Naim go for it. They make some stunning kit which you really grow to love. Naim does divide opinion as it is a very distictive sound but if you love it then thats whats important.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments