41 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16984
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

CnoEvil wrote:

matt49 wrote:

I'm with PP on this. I've heard most of the MF range in the last 6 months, and I think they're very up and down. The top-end Class A stuff is wonderful. The Class D stuff is very good and keenly priced. But I don't really rate the mid-range Class AB amps.

YMMV, as ever.

:santa:

Matt

I preferred the Arcam AVR600 to the M6i, and I would also take a Sugden A21 SE or Electro ECI-3 over it as well......but saying that, I like the way it (or M3i) sounds and wouldn't really describe it as "woolly".....such is the nature of personal taste / perception.

I've found it is much easier to agree on what is a wonderful sound.......the difference becomes more marked in cheaper systems, where you have to decide where to make the compromises.

But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

damonster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 30/10/2008 - 07:24
Posts: 181
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

plastic penguin wrote:

iceman16 wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Naim amplification can be in ya face with the wrong speakers, but with the right set-up Naim is not fatiguing. From personal experience MF is warm and wooly sounding. Possibly the worst hi-fi experience I had.

Can have a agile, emotive sound without fatigue.

PP,

 That's the same reason why Im keeping my speakers:grin: .Synergy:dance:

Yup, it's about getting that right combo. Having heard naim with my old MAs it was nasty. Rig up some PMCs and that changes dramatically. Not just presentation, but tonal qualities too.

When did you get your Pmc's pp and how do they sound with the naim and Leema ?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16984
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

damonster wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

iceman16 wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Naim amplification can be in ya face with the wrong speakers, but with the right set-up Naim is not fatiguing. From personal experience MF is warm and wooly sounding. Possibly the worst hi-fi experience I had.

Can have a agile, emotive sound without fatigue.

PP,

 That's the same reason why Im keeping my speakers:grin: .Synergy:dance:

Yup, it's about getting that right combo. Having heard naim with my old MAs it was nasty. Rig up some PMCs and that changes dramatically. Not just presentation, but tonal qualities too.

When did you get your Pmc's pp and how do they sound with the naim and Leema ?

Had them about a week and a half. Not heard the TB2 before, so bought blind. It was a calculated risk, based on the fact I know the DB1is well, but needed a little extra bass as I'm used to floorstanders.

How do they sound? Fanbloomintastic. Don't have the bloated bass of the RS6s but they immensely tuneful.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

damonster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 30/10/2008 - 07:24
Posts: 181
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

Would you describe them as on the warm side .i heard my db1s on a naim system and fell in love with the sound .

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16984
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

From what I can remember - I haven't heard the DB1i for close on 18 months - they are a mirror image, just the TBs have a little more of pretty much everything. The thing I'm getting used to is the larger bass/midrange driver. Sounds gorgeous but it takes a little time.

What Naim amp did you hear?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12803
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

plastic penguin wrote:

But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

That means it wasn't the current model that you tried, and they are different.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16984
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

That means it wasn't the current model that you tried, and they are different.

Certainly wasn't the 'M' models. Have they really changed that much?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12803
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

plastic penguin wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

That means it wasn't the current model that you tried, and they are different.

Certainly wasn't the 'M' models. Have they really changed that much?

IMO. They are better. "Much" is subjective......It also depends which model you had on demo.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

KeithT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/02/2010 - 14:00
Posts: 144
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

I've not heard any MF stuff in a while (ex MF A1 owner) but you have to remember that Anthony Michaelson is a classical clarinetist (if I recall rightly) and he tends to set up his kit to suit that type of music rather than Motorhead! :rockout:

wilro15's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 19/01/2012 - 15:53
Posts: 329
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

I used to own a Musical Fidelity amp a while ago and also found it be very smooth.  Nothing wrong with that, I still loved every minute of it.

Music: Naim ND5 XS | Naim SuperNait | Kef LS50

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16984
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

That means it wasn't the current model that you tried, and they are different.

Certainly wasn't the 'M' models. Have they really changed that much?

IMO. They are better. "Much" is subjective......It also depends which model you had on demo.

This creature.

No. Sorry to disagree with you but "much" not subjective in this context. That is just semantics or a forum appeasement. It retailed at about £1300, and when a £375 amp beats around the head (that could be deemed as subjective) then something is drastically wrong. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16984
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

wilro15 wrote:

I used to own a Musical Fidelity amp a while ago and also found it be very smooth.  Nothing wrong with that, I still loved every minute of it.

Absolutely nothing wrong, but when it's so smooth it veers heavily on boring. Hi-Fi system should entertain. The MF was miles from the mark.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

shep1968's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 20/08/2007 - 15:59
Posts: 281
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

If i buy the Naim combo new speakers will have to wait awhile. Will be trying Tannoy DCT6's and LS50's, are my current B&W685's a good match for them in the meantime?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12803
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

plastic penguin wrote:

This creature.

No. Sorry to disagree with you but "much" not subjective in this context. That is just semantics or a forum appeasement. It retailed at about £1300, and when a £375 amp beats around the head (that could be deemed as subjective) then something is drastically wrong. 

Here is a quote lifted from Stereophile's Best Integrated Amps 2013 (in Class B section)  that gives some insight:

 "Circuitry derives from Musical Fidelity’s Titan series. Like the M3CD, the M3i had “a direct, ingratiating quality,” with detail, definition, and an overall tonal rightness, said ST. Though it lacked the bass control of the NAD 375BEE, the M3i exhibited greater refinement in the midrange and treble. “One of Musical Fidelity’s best integrateds ever,” says Sam, “which is saying a lot.” 

 

Here is an excerpt from Hi-Fi Choice, that doesn't describe a boring amp, which would send one to sleep...and would certainly suggest a fairly big sonic difference from the model you had on demo:

 "Life in the fast lane"

 "Summarised in one word, the M3i could only be described as ‘entertaining’. It will replay anything with a sense of excitement and liveliness that is hard not to like.

 That this punch and timing is coupled to excellent tonality and soundstage and placed in a well- finished and relatively well-specified box, results in a very strong performer at the price point.

 The slightly boisterous presentation it can sometimes display with gentler music may not be to everybody’s taste, but many will revel in the sheer enjoyment that the M3i can bring to listening.

 If this is the result of a new Musical Fidelity philosophy and an example of what we can expect in the future, then we hope it is one that the firm will follow enthusiastically for some time to come. The M3i is definitely a welcome addition to the fold.

LIKE: Extremely engaging performer with excellent sonics and solid build

DISLIKE: May be too forward if incorrectly partnered

WE SAY: Thoroughly enjoyable performer that will work well across a variety of systems"


"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

altruistic.lemon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 25/07/2011 - 09:18
Posts: 1865
RE: Naim or Musical fidelity

Everyone has different tastes, cno, there's no one right. Even me old mate ddc would agree with that.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments