99 posts / 0 new
Last post
matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8308
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

PP - I wouldn't say the Roksan was any better than the Arcam CD17.  Perhaps that might be a possibility for you??

 

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

crusaderlord's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 29/04/2008 - 16:19
Posts: 746
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Yes why not try a silver arcam which is higher up the range - arcam CD players are in my opinion amongst the best. I heard the naim CD against the arcam cd37 and you can see what I ended up buying - you can pick up the cd37 for good value ex demo or 2nd hand prices - mine was £900

Arcam A38 Amplifier > Arcam CD36

Arcam irDac > Squeezebox Touch

Neat Motive 3 Speakers > Partington Super Dreadnought

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2088
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Hi PP,

Apologies if you've already thought of this, but have you tried a Leema CDP?

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12399
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

You're giving the Leema a bad Naim.  :oops:

Now if I was being Sneaky........ :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 days ago
Joined: 06/11/2010 - 19:40
Posts: 314
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

crusaderlord wrote:

Yes why not try a silver arcam which is higher up the range - arcam CD players are in my opinion amongst the best. I heard the naim CD against the arcam cd37 and you can see what I ended up buying - you can pick up the cd37 for good value ex demo or 2nd hand prices - mine was £900

I paid 800 ex demo for mine. It wouldn't bother me having separate makes and designs but my partner said I had to buy a matching cdp or the deal was off. I bought the cd37 blind seeing as it was a cracking price and tbh never looked back, it's fantastic IMO. When I demoed my a38/rx8 combo we used the roksan k2 cdp and I must say I was very impressed with it. 

unhalfbricking's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 18/01/2013 - 15:26
Posts: 59
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Going back to your original point, I actually think it's quite cool to have odd, mismatching stuff. I often prefer systems with contrasting shapes, design features and finishes -- they're just more interesting. It's too easy to assume that different styles don't 'go together'. Put it this way, your system is the opposite of a neat-looking little combo that sits in the corner, doesn't offend anyone and never gets used.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16527
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

matthewpiano wrote:

PP - I wouldn't say the Roksan was any better than the Arcam CD17.  Perhaps that might be a possibility for you??

 

That's interesting Matthew. Heard it once with the A18 thought it good. it was only hooked up because the 73T was at home, so had no direct comparison. If you say it's a good as the Kandy then it looks like a one well worth considering.

Ta.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16527
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

crusaderlord wrote:

Yes why not try a silver arcam which is higher up the range - arcam CD players are in my opinion amongst the best. I heard the naim CD against the arcam cd37 and you can see what I ended up buying - you can pick up the cd37 for good value ex demo or 2nd hand prices - mine was £900

Heard a lot of Arcam CDPs, obv, although not the CD37. Seems logical.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16527
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Macspur wrote:

Hi PP,

Apologies if you've already thought of this, but have you tried a Leema CDP?

Mac

Yes, thanks Mac. A serious contender if I had more tolerant speakers. From the reviews I've read an all-Leema set-up can sound a little shrill.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16527
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

CnoEvil wrote:

You're giving the Leema a bad Naim.  :oops:

Now if I was being Sneaky........ :shifty:

Yes, yes... if I was to take it to school I'll make sure it has a Naim Tag on it. :?

I know you love the Sneaky but just not practical at the mo.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16527
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Ben K. wrote:

crusaderlord wrote:

Yes why not try a silver arcam which is higher up the range - arcam CD players are in my opinion amongst the best. I heard the naim CD against the arcam cd37 and you can see what I ended up buying - you can pick up the cd37 for good value ex demo or 2nd hand prices - mine was £900

I paid 800 ex demo for mine. It wouldn't bother me having separate makes and designs but my partner said I had to buy a matching cdp or the deal was off. I bought the cd37 blind seeing as it was a cracking price and tbh never looked back, it's fantastic IMO. When I demoed my a38/rx8 combo we used the roksan k2 cdp and I must say I was very impressed with it. 

The Kandy certainly has a good reputation. How does it compare with the CD37? Or what are the differences?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 29 sec ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16527
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

unhalfbricking wrote:

Going back to your original point, I actually think it's quite cool to have odd, mismatching stuff. I often prefer systems with contrasting shapes, design features and finishes -- they're just more interesting. It's too easy to assume that different styles don't 'go together'. Put it this way, your system is the opposite of a neat-looking little combo that sits in the corner, doesn't offend anyone and never gets used.

Pretty much always mixed 'n' matched, so odd looking stuff doesn't really throw me. This Naim, along with Leema, just pushes the aesthetic boundary a little too far IMO. Where's the bucket?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 days ago
Joined: 06/11/2010 - 19:40
Posts: 314
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

plastic penguin wrote:

Ben K. wrote:

crusaderlord wrote:

Yes why not try a silver arcam which is higher up the range - arcam CD players are in my opinion amongst the best. I heard the naim CD against the arcam cd37 and you can see what I ended up buying - you can pick up the cd37 for good value ex demo or 2nd hand prices - mine was £900

I paid 800 ex demo for mine. It wouldn't bother me having separate makes and designs but my partner said I had to buy a matching cdp or the deal was off. I bought the cd37 blind seeing as it was a cracking price and tbh never looked back, it's fantastic IMO. When I demoed my a38/rx8 combo we used the roksan k2 cdp and I must say I was very impressed with it. 

The Kandy certainly has a good reputation. How does it compare with the CD37? Or what are the differences?

For me the k2s greatest strength was its ability to retrieve lots of detail and manage to present it without throwing it at you. Other than that it just seemed to let the music do the talking which I liked. The arcam finds the detail also but presents it in a more subtle way, it's there if you listen for it but you don't immediately notice it if that makes sense. The arcam also adds a slight smoothness to the sound but at the same time sounds weightier than the kandy. The bass resolution is fantastic and you can really here individual bass notes from different instruments. IMO the k2 was very good but the cd37 is an improvement over it and really complements the MA characteristics.

Sospri's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2011 - 10:22
Posts: 362
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

plastic penguin wrote:

unhalfbricking wrote:

Going back to your original point, I actually think it's quite cool to have odd, mismatching stuff. I often prefer systems with contrasting shapes, design features and finishes -- they're just more interesting. It's too easy to assume that different styles don't 'go together'. Put it this way, your system is the opposite of a neat-looking little combo that sits in the corner, doesn't offend anyone and never gets used.

Pretty much always mixed 'n' matched, so odd looking stuff doesn't really throw me. This Naim, along with Leema, just pushes the aesthetic boundary a little too far IMO. Where's the bucket?

Serious case of style over substance.............

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8308
RE: Naim 5i-2 vs Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Ben K. wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Ben K. wrote:

crusaderlord wrote:

Yes why not try a silver arcam which is higher up the range - arcam CD players are in my opinion amongst the best. I heard the naim CD against the arcam cd37 and you can see what I ended up buying - you can pick up the cd37 for good value ex demo or 2nd hand prices - mine was £900

I paid 800 ex demo for mine. It wouldn't bother me having separate makes and designs but my partner said I had to buy a matching cdp or the deal was off. I bought the cd37 blind seeing as it was a cracking price and tbh never looked back, it's fantastic IMO. When I demoed my a38/rx8 combo we used the roksan k2 cdp and I must say I was very impressed with it. 

The Kandy certainly has a good reputation. How does it compare with the CD37? Or what are the differences?

For me the k2s greatest strength was its ability to retrieve lots of detail and manage to present it without throwing it at you. Other than that it just seemed to let the music do the talking which I liked. The arcam finds the detail also but presents it in a more subtle way, it's there if you listen for it but you don't immediately notice it if that makes sense. The arcam also adds a slight smoothness to the sound but at the same time sounds weightier than the kandy. The bass resolution is fantastic and you can really here individual bass notes from different instruments. IMO the k2 was very good but the cd37 is an improvement over it and really complements the MA characteristics.

Agree 100%, particularly the bits I've put into bold.  You've perfectly described why I like the Roksan, and I also agree with you about the ways in which the CD37 is better.  Lovely CD player the CD37.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

Pages

Log in or register to post comments