28 posts / 0 new
Last post
unsleepable's picture
RE: nad d 3020 question...

The thing is that apart from your own preferences, the right hi-fi equipment also depends strongly on where it will be played. If you have limited space now, and try to fit there an equipment that you buy for a bigger place in the future, you risk being neither happy now nor later on—as you may not know how this future place will be. 

I would get now something that works well where you are, and change it later if necessary. If you don't think you will be that long where you live now, maybe it'd be sensible not to spend so much as you would for a place where you think you'd live for many years. Pre-owned audio equipment doesn't lose value as quickly as new one.

So if you believe that active speakers would work better in your present situation—it sounds like they would—, I'd consider that path. 

Arcam irDac • Arcam FMJ A19 • Arcam FMJ P38 • Kef R100

unsleepable's picture

maxpain wrote:

What do you think about the atc scm 7? I think they are preety combact and they do not need a sub..

The ATC SCM 7 are low sensitivity speakers and don't have a bass reflex port. Therefore they require powerful amplification. I have not heard them, but according to reviews they sound great but are short on bass.

Something I've also read of other ATCs and don't know if it's a general feature of the brand, is that they sound better at higher volumes—not so much speakers for low volume listening.

maxpain's picture

Usefull information about the act's! I understand that i would have to buy sensitive speakers so that they can play well with low volume...I just think that if I buy an  amplifier now...I can just buy new speakers in the feature...do you have in mind any small nearfield passive speakers at 600$-700$ that would play good with my configuration? I also have been told to look out for triangle color speakers...monitor audio bx2...and dali zenzor 3.

unsleepable's picture

I'm not entirely sure that for speakers to sound well at low volume, they need to have a high sensitivity. The R100 are somewhat low sensitivity speakers and I like them at low volume—I do lots of late-night music listening too. How the system sounds at low volume also depends on the amp, and Arcam seems to be very good at that. But maybe others here can provide more opinions about this.

maxpain's picture

Oh I like arcam! I dont have the budget for an a19 though...I could go for an a18...have you listened to the a18? I have read that it is not so talented as the 19 is...they say that you have better options at the price.You are correct about the sensitivity but again it depends on your listening possition and of course your amp.I will try to audiotion some speakers and amps and hopefully i can make my mind considering all the information I got here!

gasolin's picture

what speakers with high sensitivity is best for the Nad D3020 price range of the  Q acoustic 2020I (Max 300€ for a pair).

How come theres no bass and treble controls,eq?

gasolin's picture

Why does the amp play louder using a optical interconnect compared to usb cable?

davedotco's picture

gasolin wrote:

Why does the amp play louder using a optical interconnect compared to usb cable?

No reason.

The computer will have volume controls on the USB output at the application level and at the system level. 

Check that they are all set to maximum.

gasolin's picture

davedotco wrote:

gasolin wrote:

No reason.

The computer will have volume controls on the USB output at the application level and at the system level. 

Check that they are all set to maximum.

Read it somewhere just can't find it. Asked today when i bought some speaker cable  and he confirmed it.

unsleepable's picture

gasolin wrote:

Read it somewhere just can't find it. Asked today when i bought some speaker cable  and he confirmed it.

Do you mean that this happens to all Nad D 3020?

gasolin's picture

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-d3020-dac

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-d-3020-analogue-input-volume

I think it was analog compared to digital input.

But the guy at the store confirmed that usb might not be as loud when using a opptical cabel, mabye he just was somone who didn't knew what he was talking about, at my local hifi stor in denmark where they sell Nad,B&W i think it would be hard to find some over 25 (atleast it looks like none of them more then 25 years old)

davedotco's picture

gasolin wrote:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-d3020-dac

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/nad-d-3020-analogue-input-volume

I think it was analog compared to digital input.

But the guy at the store confirmed that usb might not be as loud when using a opptical cabel, mabye he just was somone who didn't knew what he was talking about, at my local hifi stor in denmark where they sell Nad,B&W i think it would be hard to find some over 25 (atleast it looks like none of them more then 25 years old)

This obsession with volume setting is just plain wierd.

So the USB is quieter, so what, just jurn it up a bit more..... :doh:

Pages