91 posts / 0 new
Last post
jaxwired's picture
NAD C390DD - What HiFi Review???
English

Love to read a review of this amp. I think it's a game changer...

Music Server -> Devialet 400 -> PMC Fact 8 -> Chord Cables

Macspur's picture
RE: NAD C390DD - What HiFi Review???

jaxwired wrote:

In what way is it a game changer? have you heard it?

Cheers

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

jaxwired's picture

I've heard the NAD M2 which uses the same "direct digital" technology.  The simplified signal path for digital sources means the lowest noise level ever achieved.  The sound is pristine and amazing.  The M2 and the C390 are a completely new breed of amplifier and nothing else like them exists.  They are not "just another class D amplifier".

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

jaxwired wrote:

So would I. On paper it looks immense with a very extensive list of goodies for the price. Is a review in the pipeline?

manicm's picture

jaxwired wrote:

I've heard the NAD M2 which uses the same "direct digital" technology.  The simplified signal path for digital sources means the lowest noise level ever achieved.  The sound is pristine and amazing.  The M2 and the C390 are a completely new breed of amplifier and nothing else like them exists.  They are not "just another class D amplifier".

That's the point I was trying to make, and others insisted it was just another class D amp (was it you Jax? :)). NAD states the amps keep the signal completely digital until it's about to hit the speaker. And indeed with the C390 at least you cannot add analogue sources as standard - they'll sell a slot-in module for them but again it will convert to digital and pass along the amp's normal signal path!

jaxwired's picture

manicm wrote:

jaxwired wrote:

That's the point I was trying to make, and others insisted it was just another class D amp (was it you Jax? :)). NAD states the amps keep the signal completely digital until it's about to hit the speaker. And indeed with the C390 at least you cannot add analogue sources as standard - they'll sell a slot-in module for them but again it will convert to digital and pass along the amp's normal signal path!

Nope, I never said that. I've been a fan since the M2 first came out 2 years ago. I posted this pic on another thread so people can understand. This pic should make it obvious how NAD has changed things.

jovend's picture
Ajani's picture

Just for the record NAD isn't the only company with fully digital amps:

The Wadia 151 PowerDAC Mini and Nuforce DDA-100 are similar products (though much lower powered). 

This kind of product is truly fascinating for digital fans and I suspect is where a lot of integated amps will go in the future.

krolikgena's picture

Lyngdorf Tdai2200 true digital amplifier / Millenium.. they were even before M2

so Nad is far from game changer...

Cyrus CD8X

Benchmark DAC2 HGC

PMC TB2S-AII

Fostex TH-600

manicm's picture

krolikgena wrote:

Lyngdorf Tdai2200 true digital amplifier / Millenium.. they were even before M2

so Nad is far from game changer...

Not true - Sharp released the SM-SX100 in 2000, and Yamaha released their MX-D1 in 2005.

Andrew Everard's picture

A review sample has been requested – quite apart from the WHF review, I'm keen to have a play with it for Gramophone in the near future

krolikgena's picture

What exactly is not true? first Millenium came out in 1998 and was world's first true digital amplifier.

Cyrus CD8X

Benchmark DAC2 HGC

PMC TB2S-AII

Fostex TH-600

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Andrew Everard wrote:

A review sample has been requested – quite apart from the WHF review, I'm keen to have a play with it for Gramophone in the near future

Look forward to your thoughts!

manicm's picture

krolikgena wrote:

What exactly is not true? first Millenium came out in 1998 and was world's first true digital amplifier.

ah

the record spot's picture

And somehow, NAD still managed to make the damn thing look like a NAD - awful fascia.

EDIT: The technology looks good though - and their M-series stuff, along with the earlier Silverline range - was impressive IMO.  

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Andrew Everard wrote:

When do you think you will do the Gramophone review?

Pages