Have your say & ask the experts!

NAD C356BEE vs Yamaha A-S2000

24 replies [Last post]
Chaloff's picture

This is a sad story Sad

Now I have NAD controlling B&W CM1. I am not actually satisfied with the sound at all. It's sometimes even hurting to listen to music. There's too much (I think) in upper mids  - voices and lead guitars sound too overwhelming. Very bright.

The more or less satisfying ballance is achieved when I switch bass and treble control. At low volume level I adjust bass and treble on maximum. At mid and high volume levels I add bass a little and leave treble on maximum. I am not speaking here about some substitution of loudness. Loudness can help only at low volumes. But I intentionally described different volume levels. How I understand I do it to somewhat "hide" the exaggerated upper mids and in a way to achieve flat response.

The reason of these upper mids can probably be in Nautilus tweeter (I have read a few opinions). Some like this type of sound, some not. And logically the advise for me would be to change the speakers as far as I don't like.

But! I really do not want to do this, as these were the best speakers I've ever heard after having listened about 20 pairs of similar price range. The reason is that they are coloured - have a bump in the upper bass (where all heavy music energy is), they are punchy and energetic. That's what I like.

At dealer's shop where I bought the CMs I was choosing amoung other 5 pairs (PMC db1i, ATC scm7, Neat Motive 3, MA gs10 and Dynaudio x12) with Yamaha a-s2000 amp. The  sound of the CMs was incredible. I understood that I found my dream. I am not sure that I will give the right description. But I'll try. First of all they gave punch. But another highly involving feature was  - sound was viscous like a mercury. At low volumes it was a bit far and it  attracted me to the speaker. I wanted to make the volume higher. It was mild, but strong. When I made the volume quite high the sound was the same - viscous with no any compression. And I think smooth at any volume. The drums were like you hit the table with piece of raw meat.

Now at home I have a very far sound from what it had been in the shop.  The sound I described at the beginning. Maybe some more. It's not like mercury, but like boiling water, not like raw meet, but like eggplant. And I don't want to make volume higher, but the opposite.

I believe that my problem is in suitability of NAD with the CMs. And the best way would be to change it to Yamaha. At least I've heard this set-up and it was amazing.

Another very important thing to note - my room is very small: 25m3. In the shop there was twice more volume.

So finally the question: shall I have at home the sound of Yamaha + CMs very close to the experience in the shop? Or very little air in my room would not allow the setup to open and it will be close to what I am having now?

Sorry for so many words and thank you for reading up to the end. But I really need help!

1) Oppo BDP-105 - NAD 356 BEE - B&W CM1

2) Onkyo CR-N755 - Q Acoustics 2010i

RE: NAD C356BEE vs Yamaha A-S2000

If it is that bad then your speakers don't match your room, and an amp change isn't going to do much. You'd be better off playing with positioning, room acoustics etc. If that doesn't work, then there's only one way to go.

poldo's picture

If it is horrible with the NAD it will be the same with the Yamaha. 

Could you trie to descripe your room and speaker placement?

AVI ADM 9.1 RS - Apple tv - iPod Touch - iPad - Panasonic 50 G20 - Philips BDP 9600

GSB
GSB's picture

Andrew can you take some pictures of your room/placemant?

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

Chaloff's picture

Altruistic.lemon, poldo,

You are killing me without a knife!!!  help, I`m sinking

I really wish you were wrong! With all respect to your opinion. If there's minimum two more replies equal to yours, I now how to research deeper.  But that would be too hard.

Someone else, help me with the opposit idea!

alchemist 1's picture

Chaloff wrote:

Altruistic.lemon, poldo,

I really wish you were wrong! With all respect to your opinion. If there's minimum two more replies equal to yours, I now how to research deeper.  But that would be too hard.

I have had CM1'S with my Yamaha as2000 they work very well together.......Cool

Bright is not a word I would use ti describe the Yamaha .

Chaloff's picture

Double post

Chaloff's picture

Double post

Chaloff's picture

alchemist 1 wrote:

Chaloff wrote:

Altruistic.lemon, poldo,

Alchemist 1, you give me a hope! What was your room volume (m3) when you've had this setup? And please clarify about "brightness". Thanks a lot!

CnoEvil's picture

If I had to guess, on balance, I'd be with AL and Poldo.....though saying that, see if they will lend you the Yammy to try at home, in order to make certain.

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

alchemist 1's picture

Chaloff wrote:

alchemist 1 wrote:

Chaloff wrote:

Altruistic.lemon, poldo,

Alchemist 1, you give me a hope! What was your room volume (m3) when you've had this setup? And please clarify about "brightness". Thanks a lot!

3M X4m Room.

The Yamaha will give you a big smooth sound to complement the B&W's relaxed presentation.

The as2000 will drive the CM's with ease.

But do try to get a home trial to satisfy your own mind.

The problem is that amps don't add or detract a heap from the sound, and the one you have, the NAD, I'd hardly describe as bright, more big and rich.

In the end, the room's going to have the biggest effect. I 'd always set my heart on some Dynaudio standmounts, heard the Excite 32s, thought they were stunning, listened to them for a week at home and took them back. They were horrible in my room, almost unlistenable. OK, I took a punt with the Maggies, and they've worked, but, if they hadn't, they'd have gone back too. 

ear
ear's picture

keep them away from rear walls and if possible away from side wall too. CM1 's always go well will rotel amps (or Harman kardons also)

Yamaha AX-397 + Yamaha NS-333;

HK 3390 + Tangent Millennium 200;

Cambridge Audio Sr10 +Cambridge audio  S30

Chaloff's picture

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

There's one more thing to point out - this is the transport that I am using now. It is a cheep $150 IconBit media player which is actually not a good gadget for hifi. Maybe this can also greatly impact the soud quality in my room. But, !Please!, don't hurry to blame me. When this idea came to my mind I immediately tried to audition the same albums on my Cambridge Audio 340 CD player. There was improvement in the sound. There was more control at all the levels. But still far from that sound that I described it was in the shop (mercury like).

It's maybe also worth saying that my CA 340 CD player is not the level of $2000 Cyrus in the shop.  

What do you say if I first swich my focus to the high level transport? I am thinking quite seriously of buying OPPO's 105.

Thanks to all!

Andrew

Chaloff's picture

Double post

Chaloff's picture

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

There's one more thing to point out - this is the transport that I am using now. It is a cheep $150 IconBit media player which is actually not a good gadget for hifi. Maybe this can also greatly impact the soud quality in my room. But, !Please!, don't hurry to blame me. When this idea came to my mind I immediately tried to audition the same albums on my Cambridge Audio 340 CD player. There was improvement in the sound. There was more control at all the levels. But still far from that sound that I described it was in the shop (mercury like).

It's maybe also worth saying that my CA 340 CD player is not the level of $2000 Cyrus in the shop.  

What do you say if I first swich my focus to the high level transport? I am thinking quite seriously of buying OPPO's 105.

Thanks to all!

Andrew