796 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
RE: Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Macspur wrote:

Just waiting to hear back if I can home dem the Cardas Golden Reference PC before purchase.

Mac

Let me know how this goes.....and FWIW I think you are wise going for the GR first.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Macspur's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

Macspur wrote:

Just waiting to hear back if I can home dem the Cardas Golden Reference PC before purchase.

Mac

Let me know how this goes.....and FWIW I think you are wise going for the GR first.

Certainly will.

Dealer has agreed to loan me the GR and also suggested I try another couple of SC's

Audience AU 24 and Analysis plus big silver oval.

Before sending them though, he has asked me to Email a photo of my room and describe what I am looking for and any issues I may have, as he is keen not to sell me products unnecessarily.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture

Macspur wrote:

Certainly will.

Dealer has agreed to loan me the GR and also suggested I try another couple of SC's

Audience AU 24 and Analysis plus big silver oval.

Before sending them though, he has asked me to Email a photo of my room and describe what I am looking for and any issues I may have, as he is keen not to sell me products unnecessarily.

Mac

That's a good sign.....the more you can try, the better.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

CnoEvil's picture

Wazzup Peeps  :quest:

Macspur's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

Wazzup Peeps  :quest:

Quite... been waiting for this thread to spark all day.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

acalex's picture

Not much time these days to listen and post  :help:

In the meantime my booming problem completely disappeared after having added another Siltech power cable and the Siltech power block (the Octopus Signature). Needs now carefully to assess if the same result can be achived spending less.

No news from Vertere, Atlas, BR so far...

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

In the meantime my booming problem completely disappeared after having added another Siltech power cable and the Siltech power block (the Octopus Signature). Needs now carefully to assess if the same result can be achived spending less.

How many sockets does your mains block need?

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

How many sockets does your mains block need?

A minimum of 4, ideally 6, 8 is the best.

Roby's picture

Sorry Guys

Efther an excessive climbing session yesterday, I had not much Energy left for my impressions on the UB.

First of all UB & Graphite are bothe part of the good stuuff I tested untill now.

Personaly in my system I think the UB are better as they give me the feeling being more agile than the graphite certenly in the low end.

The detail is exceptional. But this all makes it a bit to agressive to my taste an on some albums this is really enyoyable but overol on most of my music it get the tendency being to much almost metalic an tiering.

The grafit where more laid back an musical but sounded haevier so a mix between those 2 cables would be a dream

mean a mix between the 2 would be perfect the More warm an musical sound of the graphit with the agility an punc of the UB...

So bothem line is that to me the 330L are still an overal winner, not being better in certain depatments certenly where the 2 others excels but being a better overal compromise. Detail, musicality, bass, punch etc it's all there. an never overwelming

Now I'm going to leave the UB on untill next weekend an than I will try the Kimber select 3033 that I took home from Francis.

But to be honest it look like 330l will do the job more an more....

I mean certenly if you look VFM I mean Graphite could be my choice but it's almost double the price an UB are a little more expensive so....even if I realy liked the TQ cables even with ther respectively pro an cons...

The 330l being a slightly better match in my system untill now an bieng slightly cheaper for me.....

But you never know what kimber will ad to this research.....

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

I am assessing the Atlas 4 way mains block at the minute: http://www.napthineporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Atlas-Eos-Power-Products-Press-ReleaseEmail.pdf 

It is beautifully made and might be a contender if you can get away with four sockets. It's not cheap, but I think is much cheaper than the Siltech.

In case you haven't seen it, here is Atlas's technical paper on their mains products: http://www.atlascables.com/assets/files/pdfs-technical/Atlas_Cables_Vol2__vs4.pdf

I will also be trying a 6-way from a company called Titan Audio.........atm it is only a proto-type that has been sent to my dealer to check out; but the only problem with it (for me), is that it has no surge protection for the hifi (unlike the Atlas which has a very sophisticated one so it doesn't effect the sound). If this isn't a must for you, it could be a very neat solution (made of perspex) and probably more affordable than the Atlas.

CnoEvil's picture

Roby wrote:

The grafit where more laid back an musical but sounded haevier so a mix between those 2 cables would be a dream

mean a mix between the 2 would be perfect the More warm an musical sound of the graphit with the agility an punc of the UB...

IMO. That is likely to be Cardas Golden Ref or Clear / Clear Light or indeed Atlas Mavros.......Francis seems to be a Cardas dealer and has a GR i/c and p/c on his website that I linked to (page 45 / post 15).

Any cable that is a little tiring to listen to at this stage, is likely to become more annoying over time.

acalex's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

I am assessing the Atlas 4 way mains block at the minute: http://www.napthineporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Atlas-Eos-Power-Products-Press-ReleaseEmail.pdf 

It is beautifully made and might be a contender if you can get away with four sockets. It's not cheap, but I think is much cheaper than the Siltech.

In case you haven't seen it, here is Atlas's technical paper on their mains products: http://www.atlascables.com/assets/files/pdfs-technical/Atlas_Cables_Vol2__vs4.pdf

I will also be trying a 6-way from a company called Titan Audio.........atm it is only a proto-type that has been sent to my dealer to check out; but the only problem with it (for me), is that it has no surge protection for the hifi (unlike the Atlas which has a very sophisticated one so it doesn't effect the sound). If this isn't a must for you, it could be a very neat solution (made of perspex) and probably more affordable than the Atlas.

Very interested to see how you get along with the Atlas and the Titan Audio also. Siltech is way too expensive...

CnoEvil's picture

acalex wrote:

Very interested to see how you get along with the Atlas and the Titan Audio also. Siltech is way too expensive...

I know.....the Atlas is really a little too expensive, but more manageable, especially if it brings an improvement and protects the kit. Russ Andrews and Clearer Audio also do them (and have a trial period).

Will report in when I have come to some sort of conclusion.

acalex's picture

What would you think of this?  http://www.psaudio.com/shop/dectet-power-center/

Macspur's picture

Had a response from the dealer following the receipt of photos of my room and system.

I may be wrong, but got the feeling he didn't really want to send the gear for home trial.

Here's his response;

Good Morning Eamonn

Thank you for the pictures, it has given a much clearer idea now.

You sit far too close to your speakers (which I realise the situation), your speakers are virtually against the wall and you listen with a hard wall against you head.

I also noticed you have a slab of granite under the equipment is correct?

From what I can see the issue for you is physical space to correctly set up the speakers. General rule of thumb, however far the speakers are apart you need to have the listening position at least the same distance preferably greater, which I realise would be an issue.

Suggestions, isolation plinths/platforms under the speakers, remove the granite, better speaker cable, and try some reposition of the speakers Eamonn.

Speaker isolation ideally you will need to fully decouple the stands/speakers completely from the floor, try some Sepele plinths on the fllor and the speakers on top of those and isolation under the plinths.

Mac 

Pages