Have your say & ask the experts!

Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

98 replies [Last post]
akosgyorfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Mar 2010
Posts: 10
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

Before I got shot dead by toyotaman( no offence:) )The M6i is  overall produces a sweet,warm, sound with good stereo imaging,very dynamic,detailed and loads of soft bass ,mids and highs. Whether it fits  your musical taste it is another question. I am sure someone will find it beautiful someone not. But hey, that is what Hi-Fi is all about, is'nt it?

 

__________________

ISAC69's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 548
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

Didn't like the M6i at all . Heard it with Proacs and was surprise to find out that have to bring the volume level to 12 o'clock to a decent volume .

the soundstage was unsufisticated and dull , the bass too boomy and uncontroled . Heard many better amps than the MF M6i ( this amp remind me the NAD amps which i don't like as well ) .

__________________

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

 

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 950
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

akosgyorfi wrote:

Before I got shot dead by toyotaman( no offence:) )The M6i is  overall produces a sweet,warm, sound with good stereo imaging,very dynamic,detailed and loads of soft bass ,mids and highs. Whether it fits  your musical taste it is another question. I am sure someone will find it beautiful someone not. But hey, that is what Hi-Fi is all about, is'nt it?

 

 

that i can agree...M6i its not for all people... Just have to get what really gives  you that hifi satisfaction...

__________________

HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i and M6 DAC, M1s (CDT, CLiC, ViNL), Onkyo TA2600, SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HT: Samsung UA55B7000 LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU,Marantz DV4003, Yamaha RX-V2067, Philips DVDR7300H, Infinity Primus Center, Wharfedale WH2, SW15 Sub, Mission M34i with full QED cabling

Bedroom: Apple AE, Bose WAVE Music Sytem III, Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp, Bose Over the Ear

HeadFi: Alessandro Grado MS Pro, Beyerdynamic T1, Bryston BHA-1 headphone Amp.

Office: iTunes, UD110 USB DAC, Bose Companion II, Bose AE2w 

 

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 950
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

ISAC69 wrote:

Didn't like the M6i at all . Heard it with Proacs and was surprise to find out that have to bring the volume level to 12 o'clock to a decent volume .

the soundstage was unsufisticated and dull , the bass too boomy and uncontroled . Heard many better amps than the MF M6i ( this amp remind me the NAD amps which i don't like as well ) .

 

12 o'clock??? Surprisingly to run the 140 you have to go that loud. Unless you have a pretty large room. I just need to turn it to 10 o' clock max to run my D18. Did u try a different M6i unit? That sounds like a malfunctioned M6i unit.

 

__________________

HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i and M6 DAC, M1s (CDT, CLiC, ViNL), Onkyo TA2600, SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HT: Samsung UA55B7000 LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU,Marantz DV4003, Yamaha RX-V2067, Philips DVDR7300H, Infinity Primus Center, Wharfedale WH2, SW15 Sub, Mission M34i with full QED cabling

Bedroom: Apple AE, Bose WAVE Music Sytem III, Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp, Bose Over the Ear

HeadFi: Alessandro Grado MS Pro, Beyerdynamic T1, Bryston BHA-1 headphone Amp.

Office: iTunes, UD110 USB DAC, Bose Companion II, Bose AE2w 

 

akosgyorfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Mar 2010
Posts: 10
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

Baltun, it is a really hard call! Your Hecos can handle 500w? With the big bass drivers and bass ports exhaling

backwards you will need extra care to position those speakers. They should be well off the walls otherwise you will get a boomy bass. MF will not make you happy here for sure. I would try a sec.hand Krell power amp( or even any krell integrated) to keep the bass under controll. Another bet would be a class A Luxman if buget permits. If you can live with less treble detail, a Dussun V6 is a cheep alternative and is especially good for rock/metal music and concerts and loves high volumes....

hope this helps

__________________

baltun's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 53
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

The room is almost 50m2, and the speakers are positioned almost in the centre of the room, thus very far from the walls.

Yes, according to specs, they handle 500Watts RMS Max.

Given the size of the room and essentially no restrictions in terms of volume at which I can listen to them (my closest neighbours are some 200 meters away from my house), I like to push the volume quite loud. With my current amp rated at 85 Watt, the sound starts distorting or 'choking' at volumes around 10 o'clock. That's why I'm avoiding Naims, given their low power rate.

As for the sound, tight and controlled bass is one of the things I want, yet with a considerable punch as well. So, definitely not the 'slow' bass as you put it, or a boomy bass. Also, I want large scale soundstage in both width and depth. And detail, especially in the highs, of course.

I guess ultimately what I want is not to have the impression I'm listening to recordings, "whose sound is coming from two speakers".

 

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 950
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

akosgyorfi wrote:

I tried with Benchmark DAC PRE -connected to M6i power amp directly and it sounded fantastic   with tight and accurate bass.

Thanks for reading

Akos

 

akos,

 

how did u connect a pre amp to the M6i power amp section? Using the HT/Aux input is it?

__________________

HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i and M6 DAC, M1s (CDT, CLiC, ViNL), Onkyo TA2600, SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HT: Samsung UA55B7000 LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU,Marantz DV4003, Yamaha RX-V2067, Philips DVDR7300H, Infinity Primus Center, Wharfedale WH2, SW15 Sub, Mission M34i with full QED cabling

Bedroom: Apple AE, Bose WAVE Music Sytem III, Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp, Bose Over the Ear

HeadFi: Alessandro Grado MS Pro, Beyerdynamic T1, Bryston BHA-1 headphone Amp.

Office: iTunes, UD110 USB DAC, Bose Companion II, Bose AE2w 

 

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 950
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

baltun wrote:

The room is almost 50m2, and the speakers are positioned almost in the centre of the room, thus very far from the walls.

Yes, according to specs, they handle 500Watts RMS Max.

Given the size of the room and essentially no restrictions in terms of volume at which I can listen to them (my closest neighbours are some 200 meters away from my house), I like to push the volume quite loud. With my current amp rated at 85 Watt, the sound starts distorting or 'choking' at volumes around 10 o'clock. That's why I'm avoiding Naims, given their low power rate.

As for the sound, tight and controlled bass is one of the things I want, yet with a considerable punch as well. So, definitely not the 'slow' bass as you put it, or a boomy bass. Also, I want large scale soundstage in both width and depth. And detail, especially in the highs, of course.

I guess ultimately what I want is not to have the impression I'm listening to recordings, "whose sound is coming from two speakers".

 

 

thats a big room to fill with enough power...you defnitely would benefit with a higher power integrated or a pre power combo.. In this case, yes... There are better amps than the M6i. 

__________________

HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i and M6 DAC, M1s (CDT, CLiC, ViNL), Onkyo TA2600, SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HT: Samsung UA55B7000 LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU,Marantz DV4003, Yamaha RX-V2067, Philips DVDR7300H, Infinity Primus Center, Wharfedale WH2, SW15 Sub, Mission M34i with full QED cabling

Bedroom: Apple AE, Bose WAVE Music Sytem III, Musical Fidelity M1 HPA headphone amp, Bose Over the Ear

HeadFi: Alessandro Grado MS Pro, Beyerdynamic T1, Bryston BHA-1 headphone Amp.

Office: iTunes, UD110 USB DAC, Bose Companion II, Bose AE2w 

 

ISAC69's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 548
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

El Hefe wrote:

ISAC69 wrote:

Didn't like the M6i at all . Heard it with Proacs and was surprise to find out that have to bring the volume level to 12 o'clock to a decent volume .

the soundstage was unsufisticated and dull , the bass too boomy and uncontroled . Heard many better amps than the MF M6i ( this amp remind me the NAD amps which i don't like as well ) .

 

12 o'clock??? Surprisingly to run the 140 you have to go that loud. Unless you have a pretty large room. I just need to turn it to 10 o' clock max to run my D18. Did u try a different M6i unit? That sounds like a malfunctioned M6i unit.

 

 

I made a  demo of the M6i in my dealer store surprisingly the Roksan Kandy  sounded much better to me  .The Storm Audio V55 was in a different league much better than the Roksan and M6I . 

__________________

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

 

akosgyorfi's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Mar 2010
Posts: 10
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

Yes. I used the HT input.

__________________

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

I like the M6i, but it wouldn't be my first choice at that money.....brands like Sugden, Electro, Pathos, Icon Audio and Unison Research would get there first.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

ISAC69's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 548
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

CnoEvil wrote:

I like the M6i, but it wouldn't be my first choice at that money.....brands like Sugden, Electro, Pathos, Icon Audio and Unison Research would get there first.

 

Hi CnoEvil

 

Did you hear the Unison Research Unico 100 ?

__________________

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

 

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

ISAC69 wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

I like the M6i, but it wouldn't be my first choice at that money.....brands like Sugden, Electro, Pathos, Icon Audio and Unison Research would get there first.

Hi CnoEvil

Did you hear the Unison Research Unico 100 ?

Sorry, I'm afraid not.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

baltun's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 53
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

That's very interesting, since I've been considering UR UNICO 50 as well (the 100 version is too expensive for me).

How would anyone describe the UNICO sound?

 

Thanks. 

baltun's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 53
RE: Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

El Hefe wrote:

baltun wrote:

The room is almost 50m2, and the speakers are positioned almost in the centre of the room, thus very far from the walls.

Yes, according to specs, they handle 500Watts RMS Max.

Given the size of the room and essentially no restrictions in terms of volume at which I can listen to them (my closest neighbours are some 200 meters away from my house), I like to push the volume quite loud. With my current amp rated at 85 Watt, the sound starts distorting or 'choking' at volumes around 10 o'clock. That's why I'm avoiding Naims, given their low power rate.

As for the sound, tight and controlled bass is one of the things I want, yet with a considerable punch as well. So, definitely not the 'slow' bass as you put it, or a boomy bass. Also, I want large scale soundstage in both width and depth. And detail, especially in the highs, of course.

I guess ultimately what I want is not to have the impression I'm listening to recordings, "whose sound is coming from two speakers".

 

 

thats a big room to fill with enough power...you defnitely would benefit with a higher power integrated or a pre power combo.. In this case, yes... There are better amps than the M6i. 

El Hefe, do you mean 200Watt per channel are not enough in my situation?  Shock

With Rotels (total 320Watt/channel), the results were terrible, but it was not due to lack of power, rather RA's pre-amp section.