26 posts / 0 new
Last post
davedotco's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3320
Marantz system to better M-CR510
English

Some time ago there were some posters suggesting that what they really wanted was a slightly upmarket version of the M-CR510 and 610 systems.

Ie a single unit that has all the functionality of these 'all in ones', networking, Streaming, Airplay etc but with an improved sound quality.

Can't help if you want a CD player, but if you do not, take a look at the NR1504

All the functionality of the M-CR510 plus, if you are interested, TV switching too. Sure it's an A/V unit with 5 fairly lightweight power amplifiers but you can simply forget about them and use the 2.1 pre-outs.

Add a nice pair of active speakers, DM5s maybe, and you are good to go.

 

Even more 'traditional' users can just add a power amp and passive speakers to choice.

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2717
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

The NR1604 is actually better and more powerful - for not much more than a MCR610.

davedotco's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3320
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

manicm wrote:

The NR1604 is actually better and more powerful - for not much more than a MCR610.

I have to say that the feature that really appeals is the ability to use pre-outs. I am pretty sure that Marantz would make sure that the switching and network facilities were of decent qualty, the limitations at this price point being power supplies and then power amps. In my mind the obvious way to overcome these limitations is to use active speakers.

Of couse this kind of setup has been possible for some time, what is interesting is that Marantz have chosen to offer proper pre-outs on a budget reciever, something normally reserved for models much further up the range.

The NR1504 is cheap, around £230-250, add a pair of Presonus Eris 5 and you have a hell of a setup for less than £500, cd player apart, one that does pretty much everything.

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2717
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Ah, ok, I get it, you're basically suggesting using the 1504 as a comprehensive pre-amp/streamer.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3582
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

manicm wrote:

Ah, ok, I get it, you're basically suggesting using the 1504 as a comprehensive pre-amp/streamer.

 

zackly, and with a nice universal disc player like your 751, would make a nice comprhensive system needing only speakers to complete a system with a potentially wide price and performance range. 

davedotco's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3320
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Overdose wrote:

manicm wrote:

Ah, ok, I get it, you're basically suggesting using the 1504 as a comprehensive pre-amp/streamer.

 

zackly, and with a nice universal disc player like your 751, would make a nice comprhensive system needing only speakers to complete a system with a potentially wide price and performance range. 

I found it interesting because I do not play CDs, or any discs for that matter, but I do stream from my own library and use streaming sites a lot.

Having onboard support for Spotify is important to me, it lets me use a wired system, that makes me more comfortable. I expect streaming sites to become increasingly important, I have a Quboz trial (uncompressed) at the moment and am looking forward to seeing what Apple does with Beats music.

Given my seemingly permanent fascination with new (to me) music, I feel that streaming services is very much the way forward and, functionally at least, the NR1504 seens to do everything. It will, I think, depend on two factors, the sound quality from the 2.1 outputs and the ease of use of the iOS app.

Leeps's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 10/12/2012 - 18:43
Posts: 309
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Now that the NAD D7050 has built-in Spotify, UPnP streaming capabilities, pre-out for a sub & Airplay,  it too is an interesting option.  

Alternatively the Bluesound Node (which has Qobuz rather than Spotify support) into whatever integrated you like.

Bluray: Pioneer BDP-450; TV: Panasonic TX-P42G30B; AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-2021; Speakers: MA Radius R270HD/R250HD/R90HD/R370HD; Spotify>iPad>Airplay

nopiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 15/02/2009 - 19:25
Posts: 1491
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Dave, I must acknowledge how interesting I've found your various posts which touch on studio monitors. I'd never even heard of Presonus until I read the above!  Adam, yes, and I see from other threads you like some of theirs. 

It seems the fad of desktop speakers has led to the lines blurring somewhat between traditional  amplified HiFi speakers and studio models with amps. I'd never thought they might work at home, but am very tempted to take a listen, as I'm toying with a new system for a smallish room away from my main system. In hifi terms I might go to a Unitilite with Neat Iotas, but would rather spend mcr610 and Dali money!

Krell CD and amp, Michell/Rega/Grado record player, Hitachi and Sony tuners, Nakamichi cassette, SBT streamer, Sonus faber spkrs.  Sony and Samsung BDP & TVs. Qobuz > iPad > AudioPro Allroom Air One

Dommer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/03/2010 - 12:17
Posts: 66
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

"a single unit that has all the functionality of these 'all in ones', networking, Streaming, Airplay etc but with an improved sound quality."

 

I know just the answer... It's called the Naim UnitiQute. Sorry but I could not resist Wink

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3582
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Dommer wrote:

"a single unit that has all the functionality of these 'all in ones', networking, Streaming, Airplay etc but with an improved sound quality."

 

I know just the answer... It's called the Naim UnitiQute. Sorry but I could not resist Wink

At around five times the price of the NR1504, it'd have to be pretty cute and I'm fairly certain that I could resist. Wink

davedotco's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3320
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Overdose wrote:

Dommer wrote:

"a single unit that has all the functionality of these 'all in ones', networking, Streaming, Airplay etc but with an improved sound quality."

 

I know just the answer... It's called the Naim UnitiQute. Sorry but I could not resist Wink

At around five times the price of the NR1504, it'd have to be pretty cute and I'm fairly certain that I could resist. Wink

Actually not that 'qute' at all.

No Spotify (or Qobuz or anything else for that matter) support, no Airplay, in fact for a lot of people, myself included no use at all.... :doh:

davedotco's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3320
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

nopiano wrote:

Dave, I must acknowledge how interesting I've found your various posts which touch on studio monitors. I'd never even heard of Presonus until I read the above!  Adam, yes, and I see from other threads you like some of theirs. 

It seems the fad of desktop speakers has led to the lines blurring somewhat between traditional  amplified HiFi speakers and studio models with amps. I'd never thought they might work at home, but am very tempted to take a listen, as I'm toying with a new system for a smallish room away from my main system. In hifi terms I might go to a Unitilite with Neat Iotas, but would rather spend mcr610 and Dali money!

Hi nopiano.

First of all you need to get past this idea that there is something different about studio monitors, there really isn't. They are just speakers like any other, traditionally the only difference was one of robustness and the ability to play pretty loud.

There has been a big change in recent years, brought on by the simplicity and low cost of digital recording that has brought about a massive expansion in the home/project studio market.

The need for compact, affordable monitors for such studios has given birth to the huge market for active nearfield monitors. They are active because they can be designed as an integrated package that is robust, goes pretty loud and affordable. They are described as nearfield monitors because in the type of studio they are used in, acoustic treatment is minimal and the engineer sits close to minimise room effects.

There is a wide variety of active monitors to choose from, and guess what, just like hi-fi speakers, some are mediocre, some really great and a lot in between. Most of the time when I recommend active monitors to someone on here, it is for a reason, the most common ones being as a simple and extremely cost effective desktop solution, or for users who want some serious bass output at a sensible price.

There are some active monitors that I think do a fantastic job at the budget end of the market and others that are fine speakers by any (even hi-fi) standards but just like regular hi-fi speakers at the affordable end of the market you need to choose carefully and make compromises that suit you.

Dommer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/03/2010 - 12:17
Posts: 66
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

davedotco wrote:

Overdose wrote:

Dommer wrote:

"a single unit that has all the functionality of these 'all in ones', networking, Streaming, Airplay etc but with an improved sound quality."

 

I know just the answer... It's called the Naim UnitiQute. Sorry but I could not resist Wink

At around five times the price of the NR1504, it'd have to be pretty cute and I'm fairly certain that I could resist. Wink

Actually not that 'qute' at all.

No Spotify (or Qobuz or anything else for that matter) support, no Airplay, in fact for a lot of people, myself included no use at all.... :doh:

 

It's true the Qute is not for everyone and it might not have some of the latest Bluetooth and Airplay technology, but really? If you're serious about your music, would you be using wireless anyway, I wouldn't.

 

Spotify doesn't even do 16/41 FLAC streaming, Qobuz does and might even be good, but their music selection is quite limited, at least for now... 

 

Guess it comes down to what you value more and what features are more important.

davedotco's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3320
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Dommer wrote:

It's true the Qute is not for everyone and it might not have some of the latest Bluetooth and Airplay technology, but really? If you're serious about your music, would you be using wireless anyway, I wouldn't.

 

Spotify doesn't even do 16/41 FLAC streaming, Qobuz does and might even be good, but their music selection is quite limited, at least for now... 

 

Guess it comes down to what you value more and what features are more important.

For me, accessing the music I want to hear is most important.

I have spoken about this before, but I can not, and do not wish to, listen to the same music over and over again. Buying music (whatever format) is a thing of the past for me, I rarely listen to any recording more than a handful of times before wanting to move on to something else, this something else often being inspired by the music I have been listening too.

So for the moment Spotify remains the best option, for budget (up to around £2k) setups the quality limitations are, to me, somewhere between inaudible and inconsequential so my original post was a sugestion for a choice of systems that would suit my needs.

A 'Qute with onboard Spotify support would be interesting to me, but without it no, not really The annoying thing is that a month or two back Naim announced support for Spotify, then backtracked quickly, pretending it never happened....... :?

Dommer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/03/2010 - 12:17
Posts: 66
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

I do appreciate where your coming from. It is nice to have the option to listen to anything you want and to find new music to listen to at any time.

it would be very convenient if Naim did ad Spotify or Qobiz functionality to their Uniti range. Perhaps they will soon.

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1131
RE: Marantz system to better M-CR510

Interesting view on this matter, Dave! Use the good bits and bypass the crap!

Now, would the same approach be possible with a tape-out (remember those tape-decks? those were the days...)? Or would I then bypass the volume control too?

My sister is looking for a new system. She's an active musician herself (piano and cello), whereas her husband is more into sports. For him, as long as there's sound coming out of the speakers, there's no reason to change anything. They now have a 10+ year old "home cinema" (BDP, amp, sub and 5 speakers for <400 EUR; you catch my drift...).

I pity her, and I want to help her build a decent, living room-friendly system for as little money as possible. I spotted a SH Marantz CR-601 for little money. Maybe she could send this into a pair of active speakers (there's some cool B&O 6000s on the auction site too)... That would give them a CDP, FM, DAB and some analogue inputs and a quality amp-speaker combo in a classy, minimalist set-up!

Hence my question about the volume control... :?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments