55 posts / 0 new
Last post
lovemusic's picture
RE: Marantz PM6004 problem running my speakers

CRACKED IT

The Yamaha AS500 is perfect for us and to our ears in our lounge, is way better than the Marantz PM6004 sounded and that was great but this is outstanding. Really pleased he came back with that amp now, I wouldn't mind we nearly purchased it the first time round but went with the Marantz instead.

Just got to pick up the Marantz CD6004 tomorrow, hope that will pair nicely with the Yamaha.

Thanks for all your help everyone :rockout:

PAULCHRISTOPHER's picture

Hi I have just joined the forum and I have a similar situation to the couple above but have had no problems and if I had i would just switch off the rear speakers I have posted in another section which was  relevant but not used since August post So if you will bear with me I will copy my post to here in full:-

Hi. Just joined the forum. Posting this here as it seems appropriate. I have just bought the Marantz PM6004 amplifier and the CD6004 CD Player.

These have replaced a Technics SUVZ220 (30watts per channel) amplifier with an irreplaceable volume control board. Curry's Partmaster say they are no longer available. Also replaced Cambridge Audio D100 CD Player. Not a complete HI FI Buff but made some valve amplifiers and speaker cabinets in the 60's . You haven't lived until you have blown up (sheet of flames) a speaker with Deep Purple in Rock on full volume in your box room bedroom!

Present set up is now:-

Technics SL- BD22 Turntable with MM cartridge (Belts & styli still available).

Old Aiwa  FM/AM Tuner

Old Sony Twin Cassette Deck

Marantz PM6004 Amplifier

Marantz CD6004 CD Player

Mordaunt & Short 20i(Pearl I think)  at the front

Mordaunt & Short 10i at the rear.

The set up is in a 12 Foot X 18 Foot lounge and sounds superb.

The 15 year old speakers are 4 to 8 ohm  say average impedance 6 ohms

Two sets used (switchable) therefore overall average impedance 3 ohms .

PM6004 4 to 16 ohms. DOH! Have long cables , don,t know whether this affects it.

Dealer says should be OK as only to be used on up to 40% full volume and PM 6004 as a thermal cut out.

No problems at all up to now. Initial impression was lack of bass on CD’s but that has come back when run in.

The pre-amp stage for vinyl is really superb. Very good bass .Much better than the Technics.

Vinyil and CD’s very good mid range. I am not looking to replace the speakers in the next year unless I blow them up of course but this is the logical upgrade in due course.

Music tastes :Classical ,Opera, Jazz, & Vintage Rock & Pop.

Any comments fellow forum members or should I just keep taking the tablets!

Paul

dumbledore's picture

MS10i and MS20i speakers are 8 ohm nominal impedance so compared to the Dali's 4 ohms they are easy load. So the maratz amp can drive them in parallel and you don't seem to experiece any issues. Also longer cables make the nominal impedance larger which in term make the load easier for the amplifier. However, running two speakers per channel is a compromise as the amplifiers usually struggle to handle just one speaker at a time. How big that compromise is you will not know unless you try the same setup with two amps.

Thanks for that. I always thought that the Mordaunt & Shorts were 8 ohm, but in various internet seaches they come up as 4 to 8 ohm. Going back a few decades! good quality Hi - Fi speakers were usually 15 ohms whilst record players had 3 ohm. In my opinion the speakers also have to be matched to the room and these possibly with 15 years of living with them are matched. The front speakers are on the long side of the room (it should be the other way round) on shelves 4 foot 6 inches off the ground whilst the rear speakers are a couple of feet higher on wall mounted stands so that the main focus of the sound is not directly opposite.For those who don't know why one would have 4 speakers in one room the difference in llistening to a Puccini opera say is like being on the stage not in the auditorium. So to sum up the PM6004 is fine driving 4 bookshelf speakers but not 4 big floorstanders which with the right impedance would be better served by the PM 8004.

PS I don't think my neighbours would be too impressed with me getting  a second amplifier as I live in a terrace!

lovemusic's picture

Hi, your speakers are larger ohms than ours so your amp should be OK from what other posters have pointed out. I've been on a fast learning curve and it seems the combined Ohms of our four speakers was the problem regards the PM6004 running them. However it is the first amplifier we have come across that has struggled to run these four speakers. Even smaller amps have coped, must be a sensitive protection system that Marantz has. Our new AS500 runs them, beautiful amp, we love it already and we've only listened to it for a couple of hours so far. 

Our speakers need cables that are 11.5 metres each, that is long but we don't have a choice on the matter because of their position in the room, doorways etc.....

Hubby will be back with the CD6004 in a couple of hours and some heavier speaker cable (Why! Only he knows, the new stuff we have now seems spot on to me)

Hi I have just tried the PM6004 with just the front Mordaunt & Short 20i's and with the volume turned up a bit to about 10 o'clock and the set up seems better than using the 10i's at the back as well . I think that the Technics amp had deteriorated over the years and I was compensating for this by using four speakers. I may update to some better spakers next year (2014 I mean!). The Mordaunts were quite good speakers in their time and I don't think speakers deteriorate if you look after them. These were made before they went bust of course. We have hundreds of LP's and I am trying to find the Eagles for Hotel California. , it is in there somewhere. Rod Stewart's Hot Legs sounds as punchy as ever. Just ordered Manhattan Transfer's double CD from Amazon for a fiver. Have to see what the quality is like ,some are not so good.  Glad you are happy with your new amp. Happy listening!

dumbledore's picture

Yes, at 11.5 m each and if you can not short them then you have to look for the best interconects you can get. And they need to be heavy as you driving 4 ohms speakers as well. Just hopefully once you do this will not bring back again the amp drive issue.

lovemusic's picture

PAULCHRISTOPHER wrote:

Hi I have just tried the PM6004 with just the front Mordaunt & Short 20i's and with the volume turned up a bit to about 10 o'clock and the set up seems better than using the 10i's at the back as well . I think that the Technics amp had deteriorated over the years and I was compensating for this by using four speakers. I may update to some better spakers next year (2014 I mean!). The Mordaunts were quite good speakers in their time and I don't think speakers deteriorate if you look after them. These were made before they went bust of course. We have hundreds of LP's and I am trying to find the Eagles for Hotel California. , it is in there somewhere. Rod Stewart's Hot Legs sounds as punchy as ever. Just ordered Manhattan Transfer's double CD from Amazon for a fiver. Have to see what the quality is like ,some are not so good.  Glad you are happy with your new amp. Happy listening!

Hey a fellow Eagles fan Smile  The PM6004 sounded great with our speakers, it just wouldn't run them lol. The CD6004 was great too, it won't be long now before I find out if that player sounds OK with our AS500, Hubby is still stuck in traffic having collected it.

Hope you find your Hotel California,   Happy Listening

lovemusic's picture

dumbledore wrote:

Yes, at 11.5 m each and if you can not short them then you have to look for the best interconects you can get. And they need to be heavy as you driving 4 ohms speakers as well. Just hopefully once you do this will not bring back again the amp drive issue.

Hopefully lol. They are running OK on the standard speaker core that is already connected, so the law of so and so would could rear its head with the new stuff. He hasn't bought anything expensive and probably not good enough. I'm not totally sure which one it is he has gone for but I think it could be the Cambridge Audio Symphone 300, not sure until he gets back home.

Pages