48 posts / 0 new
Last post
lpv's picture
Marantz M-CR510 experience

ok, so I've got MCR510 now from tuesday.. sound quality compared to PM6004 with rDac? No difference at all. Simple as that. Tested with wide range of music on the same pair of speakers - Q300. Headphone output? Again, no difference. 510 is really plasticy beyond imagination. How come Marantz released such low quality plastic thing in 60th anniversary? No idea.. but I would pay £100 more for more effort. It's this type of equipment one would like to hide on lower shelf and forget. It's possible as 510 can be operated via iDevice. Marantz remote app? Top 3 in the worst app I've seen. Luckily theres Airplay so Spotify's own app can be used with better results. 

Everything else - like connectivity, set of features - you'll get from the specs but I can assure you the two amps/ dac's I have compared sounds the same. 

lpv's picture
.. sounds the same and sounds

.. sounds the same and sounds good I should say Smile

chebby's picture
RE: Marantz M-CR510 experience

lpv wrote:

510 is really plasticy beyond imagination. How come Marantz released such low quality plastic thing in 60th anniversary? No idea.. but I would pay £100 more for more effort.

It's a shame that Marantz stuck to the same pricing of the M-CR602 / 603 at their launch three years ago, rather than adjust the price and spend the extra on (at least) an equivalent level of finish.

Originally their partner brand -  Denon - did the all-plastic versions (CEOL range) and Marantz did the 'premium' model.

The M-CR610 / 510 also have clunky styling (actually no styling it seems) and if it weren't for gapless (on FLAC/WAV), I would advise anyone to pick up an M-CR603 whilst some are still out there.

It's a pity they seem to have 'dropped the ball' (at least in terms of build and finish and styling) on the latest incarnation of the Melody series.

I was hoping Marantz would take the M-CR603's replacement further 'upmarket' with even better quality components and materials (and a bit more power), leaving all the budget 'plastic' versions to the Denon side of the business. But I suppose such a product might have threatenend sales of their own budget seperates.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

webb204's picture

Having just upgraded from the 603 to the 610 ,I have to agree that the 603 is a much nicer build,however the built in Spotify is fantastic on the 610 ,the gap less playback a welcome bonus ,as is the wifi,the rear USB is very handy as I can hide my USB hard drive now ,all in all I,m very impressed so far with the 610

magnus78's picture

Hi Webb204,

Any sound improvement for cd audio on the 610 compared to 603?

webb204 wrote:

Having just upgraded from the 603 to the 610 ,I have to agree that the 603 is a much nicer build,however the built in Spotify is fantastic on the 610 ,the gap less playback a welcome bonus ,as is the wifi,the rear USB is very handy as I can hide my USB hard drive now ,all in all I,m very impressed so far with the 610

penbat's picture

It really annoyed me that although Random now works on USB it is almost useless as it only operates on the current folder.

webb204's picture

magnus78 wrote:
Hi i havent had chance to try yet

Hi Webb204,

webb204 wrote:

webb204's picture

magnus78 wrote:
Hi i havent had chance to try yet

Hi Webb204,

webb204 wrote:

LuniCycle's picture

Can anyone confirm that it does gapless playback from a NAS?

Is the GUI a bit quicker and has it stopped doing that thing where it virtually stops responding when it has just changed track?

I am disappointed about the finish perhaps if we wait long enough they will come out with an SE or KI model!

Based on these 1st impressions I think I will stick with the 603 and keep saving for Naim or Linn.

The Fat Priest's picture

I bought a 610, but it's had to go back:

The CD drawer wouldn't open

It wouldn't connect to a network via an ethernet cable

It wouldn't connect to a network wirelessly

DAB stations it would find were limited to the BBC

FM seek ran at about one change of frequency every two or three seconds

I didn't try and play anything through it from a laptop or USB drive as I was too fed up with it by that point. I'm waiting for another but I'm not optimistic.

Machinemessiah's picture

I've seen a firmware update for the Marantz NA7004 which gives it ALAC support, 24/192 and gapless playback. Is there not a similar firmware updated for the CR603 to give it this spec?

SiUK's picture

Quote:
It really annoyed me that although Random now works on USB it is almost useless as it only operates on the current folder.

Are you certain? On the 610 random works from the root folder just fine. I'd be surprised if was a hobbled feature on the 510.

SiUK's picture

Quote:
I've seen a firmware update for the Marantz NA7004 which gives it ALAC support, 24/192 and gapless playback. Is there not a similar firmware updated for the CR603 to give it this spec?

Marantz told me that there'll never be gapless on the 603 because it isn't a firmware issue but a hardware one. That's why I got the 610s.

To someone else who asked, the 610 does gapless over ethernet and USB.

penbat's picture

SiUK wrote:

Quote:

Are you certain? On the 610 random works from the root folder just fine. I'd be surprised if was a hobbled feature on the 510.

This is customer services response to my question relating to this issue:<p>

"Does the USB operate in the same way in the M-CR610 ? In which case as the M-CR610 also has CD-audio, FM & DAB it would be impossible for you to argue that the M-CR610 is primarily a network device and therefore the USB a "secondary additional bolt on"."

The same USB feature set operates across all of our usb enabled network products in Marantz, from the entry level up to the top end NA11S1 network receivers. There are no products in our portfolio that are sold exclusively with USB being their primary feature ; USB playback is always regarded as a secondary or additional feature. The M-CR610 is primarily a network receiver, with the additional feature set of including a CD player, radio tuner for convenience, and USB also. Many users in requirement of the functionality (both on our products and many other manufacturers), will create a duplicate folder of music, with all the music from different artists in one folder called random.

penbat's picture

They categorically accept that Random doesnt work properly on the 510, they say because of the limitations of the chipset. They are also heavily implying that its the same for the 610. How many levels of folder do you have ? I have 2 levels although that shouldnt make any difference.

SiUK's picture

Well they've got it wrong then because it works on the 610! I was playing music all day the other day on random/shuffle. I selected the folder Artists in the root and pressed play and then when it is playing the first track selected random/shuffle and off it went all day.

USB drive:

\

\ Artists

\ artist 1

\ album 1

\ album 2 etc.

\ artist 2 etc.

\ album 1

\ album 2 etc.

\ Classical

\ artist 1

\ album 1