107 posts / 0 new
Last post
MadSquirrel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 31/05/2009 - 13:05
Posts: 20
Mains cables

I notice that Maplin have started selling some "audiophile" power cables:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/screened-iec-lead-44118

That one (L85AZ) looks very similar to the Isotek Premium for half the price.  (I had a couple of Isotek Premium cables but they got lost when I moved house, I currently have a Chord SuperScreen on the AV receiver) Or there's this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/professional-hi-fi-mains-cable-219072

Looks similar but with the addition of a ferrite filter and Wattgate style IEC connector.

Anyone tried either of these out?

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 3518
RE: Mains cables

I would check out russ andrews aswell.  Wink

MadSquirrel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 31/05/2009 - 13:05
Posts: 20
RE: Mains cables

Hmmm... over a grand for a power cable? I'm running an Arcam AVR360, not a Krell! Smile

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1325
RE: Mains cables

I'm sure the Maplin lead is as effective as any other replacement mains lead.  Smile

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 47 min ago
Joined: 16/01/2013 - 21:20
Posts: 800
RE: Mains cables

Covenanter wrote:

I'm sure the Maplin lead is as effective as any other replacement mains lead.  Smile

Chris

ROFL

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4601
RE: Mains cables

MadSquirrel wrote:

I'm running an Arcam AVR360, not a Krell! Smile

Hi MadSquirrel

I use a standard mains lead with my Krell FPB600 power amplifier  Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

MadSquirrel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 31/05/2009 - 13:05
Posts: 20
RE: Mains cables

Well I did attend a demo at the Bristol show a few years back by Isotek where they were swapping out various mains cables and upgrades etc. The most surprising thing was when they demo'd a bog standard IEC cable where they'd replaced the moulded IEC socket with a Wattgate style one.

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

Incidentally I was able to walk around the show at Bristol one year and could tell just by listening which exhibitors were using upgraded mains cables / conditioners etc, and which were just using a bog-standard IEC lead. I got it right every time.

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 761
RE: Mains cables

MadSquirrel wrote:

Well I did attend a demo at the Bristol show a few years back by Isotek where they were swapping out various mains cables and upgrades etc. The most surprising thing was when they demo'd a bog standard IEC cable where they'd replaced the moulded IEC socket with a Wattgate style one.

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

Incidentally I was able to walk around the show at Bristol one year and could tell just by listening which exhibitors were using upgraded mains cables / conditioners etc, and which were just using a bog-standard IEC lead. I got it right every time.

 

Quite an achievement when you consider they don't make a difference. Perhaps a series of lucky guesses.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12399
RE: Mains cables

MadSquirrel wrote:

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

So do mine.

You might try Darren of Clearer Audio, who will give you a 60 day trial period.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

pioneer7's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 26/07/2008 - 13:08
Posts: 707
RE: Mains cables

I would suggest not spending silly money on mains leads, if you are looking at maplins cables, I would buy from clearer Audio as stated or Mark grant, he is very good here is a link, what you would be buying that is above the standard cables is quality...Cable-plug connector and fittings, as for a major improvement on sound and picture quality, well thats another story and debate, FWIW I will be ordering some figure 8 cables from mark, but only because I get sick and tired of the standard ones keep falling out, and as I say I want a better quality cable, but the decision is yours.. Dirol

  http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45_18&products_id=47

TrevC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 12/06/2013 - 10:07
Posts: 761
RE: Mains cables

CnoEvil wrote:

MadSquirrel wrote:

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

So do mine.

You might try Darren of Clearer Audio, who will give you a 60 day trial period.

My ears sometimes tell me there's a constant whistling sound. I don't trust them.

 

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4601
RE: Mains cables

pioneer7 wrote:

I get sick and tired of the standard ones keep falling out

Hi pioneer7

I've never had standard mains cable fall out and as far as i recall standard mains cables have also all fitted been a perfect fit Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3311
RE: Mains cables

TrevC wrote:

MadSquirrel wrote:

Well I did attend a demo at the Bristol show a few years back by Isotek where they were swapping out various mains cables and upgrades etc. The most surprising thing was when they demo'd a bog standard IEC cable where they'd replaced the moulded IEC socket with a Wattgate style one.

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

Incidentally I was able to walk around the show at Bristol one year and could tell just by listening which exhibitors were using upgraded mains cables / conditioners etc, and which were just using a bog-standard IEC lead. I got it right every time.

 

Quite an achievement when you consider they don't make a difference. Perhaps a series of lucky guesses.

Some years ago I was showing a 'budget hi-end' system at the Penta show. The system was modestly powered so I borrowed, from Isotec, one of their mid range power conditioners and 3 or 4 of their more modest mains cables.

Compared to stock cables and a regular 4 way plugboard the Isotec equipment offered a definite improvement, I was pretty cynical but I was impressed. The hazy, slightly gritty sound that I was hearing just disappeared and the system sounded at it's fluid, natural best.

Interestingly the results were not replicated outside the show, no reliable differences were heard.

My only thought is that the vast amount of audio and video equipment at the show was radiating all kinds of rubbish both through the air and through the mains and that the Isotec was doing a decent job of keeping most of it out, just a theory mind......

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12399
RE: Mains cables

TrevC wrote:

My ears sometimes tell me there's a constant whistling sound. I don't trust them.

Well there's an irrefutable argument, if I ever heard one.  Wink

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3568
RE: Mains cables

Never had a mains cable fall out of hifi either. Comupter monitors yes.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12399
RE: Mains cables

davedotco wrote:

Some years ago I was showing a 'budget hi-end' system at the Penta show. The system was modestly powered so I borrowed, from Isotec, one of their mid range power conditioners and 3 or 4 of their more modest mains cables.

Compared to stock cables and a regular 4 way plugboard the Isotec equipment offered a definite improvement, I was pretty cynical but I was impressed. The hazy, slightly gritty sound that I was hearing just disappeared and the system sounded at it's fluid, natural best.

Interestingly the results were not replicated outside the show, no reliable differences were heard.

My only thought is that the vast amount of audio and video equipment at the show was radiating all kinds of rubbish both through the air and through the mains and that the Isotec was doing a decent job of keeping most of it out, just a theory mind......

This corresponds with my own experience ie. It's all location (quality of power) and equipment dependent......so the results are far from predictable.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments