Have your say & ask the experts!

Mains cables

106 replies [Last post]
MadSquirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 21

I notice that Maplin have started selling some "audiophile" power cables:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/screened-iec-lead-44118

That one (L85AZ) looks very similar to the Isotek Premium for half the price.  (I had a couple of Isotek Premium cables but they got lost when I moved house, I currently have a Chord SuperScreen on the AV receiver) Or there's this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/professional-hi-fi-mains-cable-219072

Looks similar but with the addition of a ferrite filter and Wattgate style IEC connector.

Anyone tried either of these out?

__________________

Main system: Denon DBT-1713 > Arcam AVR360 > Chord Rumour 4 > Monitor Audio Silver RX6 7.1

Ofice system: PC > M-Audio 2496 > Cyp AU-D3 DAC > Chord Cobra II > Yamaha DSP-A592 > Mission 760iSE

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3070
RE: Mains cables

I would check out russ andrews aswell.  Wink

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

MadSquirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 21
RE: Mains cables

Hmmm... over a grand for a power cable? I'm running an Arcam AVR360, not a Krell! Smile

__________________

Main system: Denon DBT-1713 > Arcam AVR360 > Chord Rumour 4 > Monitor Audio Silver RX6 7.1

Ofice system: PC > M-Audio 2496 > Cyp AU-D3 DAC > Chord Cobra II > Yamaha DSP-A592 > Mission 760iSE

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 964
RE: Mains cables

I'm sure the Maplin lead is as effective as any other replacement mains lead.  Smile

Chris

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 741
RE: Mains cables

Covenanter wrote:

I'm sure the Maplin lead is as effective as any other replacement mains lead.  Smile

Chris

rolling on the floor laughing

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 4356
RE: Mains cables

MadSquirrel wrote:

I'm running an Arcam AVR360, not a Krell! Smile

Hi MadSquirrel

I use a standard mains lead with my Krell FPB600 power amplifier  Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

__________________

Musicraft (Derby), Specialist Hi-Fi/AV & Multimedia Dealer

 

good accurate audio monitoring and good sound reproduction to all

MadSquirrel's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 21
RE: Mains cables

Well I did attend a demo at the Bristol show a few years back by Isotek where they were swapping out various mains cables and upgrades etc. The most surprising thing was when they demo'd a bog standard IEC cable where they'd replaced the moulded IEC socket with a Wattgate style one.

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

Incidentally I was able to walk around the show at Bristol one year and could tell just by listening which exhibitors were using upgraded mains cables / conditioners etc, and which were just using a bog-standard IEC lead. I got it right every time.

__________________

Main system: Denon DBT-1713 > Arcam AVR360 > Chord Rumour 4 > Monitor Audio Silver RX6 7.1

Ofice system: PC > M-Audio 2496 > Cyp AU-D3 DAC > Chord Cobra II > Yamaha DSP-A592 > Mission 760iSE

TrevC's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Jun 2013
Posts: 461
RE: Mains cables

MadSquirrel wrote:

Well I did attend a demo at the Bristol show a few years back by Isotek where they were swapping out various mains cables and upgrades etc. The most surprising thing was when they demo'd a bog standard IEC cable where they'd replaced the moulded IEC socket with a Wattgate style one.

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

Incidentally I was able to walk around the show at Bristol one year and could tell just by listening which exhibitors were using upgraded mains cables / conditioners etc, and which were just using a bog-standard IEC lead. I got it right every time.

 

Quite an achievement when you consider they don't make a difference. Perhaps a series of lucky guesses.

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: Mains cables

MadSquirrel wrote:

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

So do mine.

You might try Darren of Clearer Audio, who will give you a 60 day trial period.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

pioneer7's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 711
RE: Mains cables

I would suggest not spending silly money on mains leads, if you are looking at maplins cables, I would buy from clearer Audio as stated or Mark grant, he is very good here is a link, what you would be buying that is above the standard cables is quality...Cable-plug connector and fittings, as for a major improvement on sound and picture quality, well thats another story and debate, FWIW I will be ordering some figure 8 cables from mark, but only because I get sick and tired of the standard ones keep falling out, and as I say I want a better quality cable, but the decision is yours.. Cool

 http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45_18&products_id=47

__________________

L-R Mordaunt Short Avant 153 in-walls. Avant 165 Centre in-wall.QED Cables. Pioneer surrounds Pioneer SC-2022 Receiver 

Panasonic 50-GT50.Plasma

My system http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/lounge-tart-uppt-1

 

TrevC's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Jun 2013
Posts: 461
RE: Mains cables

CnoEvil wrote:

MadSquirrel wrote:

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

So do mine.

You might try Darren of Clearer Audio, who will give you a 60 day trial period.

My ears sometimes tell me there's a constant whistling sound. I don't trust them.

 

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 4356
RE: Mains cables

pioneer7 wrote:

I get sick and tired of the standard ones keep falling out

Hi pioneer7

I've never had standard mains cable fall out and as far as i recall standard mains cables have also all fitted been a perfect fit Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

__________________

Musicraft (Derby), Specialist Hi-Fi/AV & Multimedia Dealer

 

good accurate audio monitoring and good sound reproduction to all

davedotco's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Posts: 2342
RE: Mains cables

TrevC wrote:

MadSquirrel wrote:

Well I did attend a demo at the Bristol show a few years back by Isotek where they were swapping out various mains cables and upgrades etc. The most surprising thing was when they demo'd a bog standard IEC cable where they'd replaced the moulded IEC socket with a Wattgate style one.

I have to say as someone with a detailed knowledge of domestic electrics (I currently hold valid City & Guilds qualifications in Part P and 17th Edition domestic electrical installation) it surprises me that power cables make a difference. But my ears tell me that they do.

Incidentally I was able to walk around the show at Bristol one year and could tell just by listening which exhibitors were using upgraded mains cables / conditioners etc, and which were just using a bog-standard IEC lead. I got it right every time.

 

Quite an achievement when you consider they don't make a difference. Perhaps a series of lucky guesses.

Some years ago I was showing a 'budget hi-end' system at the Penta show. The system was modestly powered so I borrowed, from Isotec, one of their mid range power conditioners and 3 or 4 of their more modest mains cables.

Compared to stock cables and a regular 4 way plugboard the Isotec equipment offered a definite improvement, I was pretty cynical but I was impressed. The hazy, slightly gritty sound that I was hearing just disappeared and the system sounded at it's fluid, natural best.

Interestingly the results were not replicated outside the show, no reliable differences were heard.

My only thought is that the vast amount of audio and video equipment at the show was radiating all kinds of rubbish both through the air and through the mains and that the Isotec was doing a decent job of keeping most of it out, just a theory mind......

__________________

We do so many shows in a row,

And these towns all look the same,

We just pass the time in our hotel room

And wander 'round backstage,

Till the lights come up, and we hear that crowd,

And we remember why we came.

Jackson Browne

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: Mains cables

TrevC wrote:

My ears sometimes tell me there's a constant whistling sound. I don't trust them.

Well there's an irrefutable argument, if I ever heard one.  Wink

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

BigH's picture
Online
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: Mains cables

Never had a mains cable fall out of hifi either. Comupter monitors yes.

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: Mains cables

davedotco wrote:

Some years ago I was showing a 'budget hi-end' system at the Penta show. The system was modestly powered so I borrowed, from Isotec, one of their mid range power conditioners and 3 or 4 of their more modest mains cables.

Compared to stock cables and a regular 4 way plugboard the Isotec equipment offered a definite improvement, I was pretty cynical but I was impressed. The hazy, slightly gritty sound that I was hearing just disappeared and the system sounded at it's fluid, natural best.

Interestingly the results were not replicated outside the show, no reliable differences were heard.

My only thought is that the vast amount of audio and video equipment at the show was radiating all kinds of rubbish both through the air and through the mains and that the Isotec was doing a decent job of keeping most of it out, just a theory mind......

This corresponds with my own experience ie. It's all location (quality of power) and equipment dependent......so the results are far from predictable.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide