91 posts / 0 new
Last post
cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 32 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1038
RE: Mains cables ?

Native_bon wrote:

Its my money dude. Wink

 

I've got some lovely magic beans just for you then Biggrin

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 938
RE: Mains cables ?

cheeseboy wrote:

Native_bon wrote:

Its my money dude. Wink

 

I've got some lovely magic beans just for you then Biggrin

 It not as good as mine dude... I really think you need to get a life now.. Cause ur beinging to bore the hell out of me.. ROFL

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3569
RE: Mains cables ?

So how much is the mains conditioner?

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 938
RE: Mains cables ?

BigH wrote:

So how much is the mains conditioner?

I think it was £680..00. But u could get it 4 less now.

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 32 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1038
RE: Mains cables ?

Native_bon wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

Native_bon wrote:

Its my money dude. Wink

 

I've got some lovely magic beans just for you then Biggrin

 It not as good as mine dude... I really think you need to get a life now.. Cause ur beinging to bore the hell out of me.. ROFL

 

but you keep replying.... think it must be love Biggrin

Alec's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6068
RE: Mains cables ?
Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 938
RE: Mains cables ?

cheeseboy wrote:

Native_bon wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

Native_bon wrote:

Its my money dude. Wink

 

I've got some lovely magic beans just for you then Biggrin

 It not as good as mine dude... I really think you need to get a life now.. Cause ur beinging to bore the hell out of me.. ROFL

 

but you keep replying.... think it must be love Biggrin

Yea course u should be worrying about your money dude not mine... I can only pls me & not you or anyone else with my system.. My system gives me a lot music pleasure dude.... I keep coming back cause its boys & thier toys ROFL

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3569
RE: Mains cables ?

Native_bon wrote:

BigH wrote:

So how much is the mains conditioner?

I think it was £680..00. But u could get it 4 less now.

 

OK Thanks.

MattSPL's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 04/01/2010 - 16:25
Posts: 805
RE: Mains cables ?

I once read that somebody bought a nice chunky expensive mains cable. It worked wonders on their hifi, but also boiled the Kettle faster  :grin:

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 24 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2052
RE: Mains cables ?

Covenanter wrote:

relocated wrote:

Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum.  Now that really is 'expectation bias'.    Shock

 

 

Don't knock the oenophiles; we really do know what we're talking about (and can prove it through blind tastings).

Life's too short to listen to bad hifi; life's too short to drink bad wine.

                                                                   ----------------------------------------

I rather suspect[as has been proved time and time again] that there are significantly more people who need the price of the bottle to fully appreciate wine complexity.  There is absolutely no need to pay £40 a pop to get excellent wine and there are plenty that I wouldn't give tuppence for.

It's strayed a long way off topic but whilst you can indeed get excellent wine for less than £40 a bottle, if you want a bottle of Premier Cru Burgundy from a good year it's going to cost you about that or more and if you can't taste the difference between that and say a good New Zealand Pinot Noir at £15 a bottle then you need new taste buds.

Chris

But where's the scientific proof?!

Lol!

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 1021
RE: Mains cables ?

Covenanter wrote:

relocated wrote:

 

Absolutely, there was someone earlier that seemed to think paying £80 for 2 bottles of wine was an excellent way of spending that sum.  Now that really is 'expectation bias'.    Shock

 

 

Don't knock the oenophiles; we really do know what we're talking about (and can prove it through blind tastings).

Life's too short to listen to bad hifi; life's too short to drink bad wine.

                                                                   ----------------------------------------

I rather suspect[as has been proved time and time again] that there are significantly more people who need the price of the bottle to fully appreciate wine complexity.  There is absolutely no need to pay £40 a pop to get excellent wine and there are plenty that I wouldn't give tuppence for.

 

It's strayed a long way off topic but whilst you can indeed get excellent wine for less than £40 a bottle, if you want a bottle of Premier Cru Burgundy from a good year it's going to cost you about that or more and if you can't taste the difference between that and say a good New Zealand Pinot Noir at £15 a bottle then you need new taste buds.

Chris

Indeed and strangely enough I can taste the difference between all the wine I drink, otherwise what would be the point of buying different wine? That does not alter the fact that blind and sighted testing of wine, particularly where price is given[or made up] prejudices peoples appreciation and ranking of wines.  Although I guess one would call that snob bias rather than expectation bias.

:wave:

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Mains cables ?

Quote:

Indeed and strangely enough I can taste the difference between all the wine I drink, otherwise what would be the point of buying different wine? That does not alter the fact that blind and sighted testing of wine, particularly where price is given[or made up] prejudices peoples appreciation and ranking of wines.  Although I guess one would call that snob bias rather than expectation bias.

:wave:

The norm in blind tasting of wine is to not reveal prices, precisely in order to exclude expectation bias (except of course if the purpose is to compare wines at a given price point, in which case price-related expectation bias is irrelevant).

My point in extending this discussion (which does look rather off topic) is this: why isn't there more blind testing of hifi equipment? It's standard practise in the world of fine wine (cp Decanter, The Wine Advocate. and Jancis Robinson's excellent website). And in the testing of pharmaceuticals a form of blind testing (double-blind randomised control trials) is now generally considered essential. 

Why so little blind testing of hifi?

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3569
RE: Mains cables ?

 

[/quote]

The norm in blind tasting of wine is to not reveal prices, precisely in order to exclude expectation bias (except of course if the purpose is to compare wines at a given price point, in which case price-related expectation bias is irrelevant).

My point in extending this discussion (which does look rather off topic) is this: why isn't there more blind testing of hifi equipment? It's standard practise in the world of fine wine (cp Decanter, The Wine Advocate. and Jancis Robinson's excellent website). And in the testing of pharmaceuticals a form of blind testing (double-blind randomised control trials) is now generally considered essential. 

Why so little blind testing of hifi?

[/quote]

 

Reviewers don't like it, think they will be tricked or caught out.

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1286
RE: Mains cables ?

matthewgbell wrote:

Quote:

Indeed and strangely enough I can taste the difference between all the wine I drink, otherwise what would be the point of buying different wine? That does not alter the fact that blind and sighted testing of wine, particularly where price is given[or made up] prejudices peoples appreciation and ranking of wines.  Although I guess one would call that snob bias rather than expectation bias.

:wave:

The norm in blind tasting of wine is to not reveal prices, precisely in order to exclude expectation bias (except of course if the purpose is to compare wines at a given price point, in which case price-related expectation bias is irrelevant).

My point in extending this discussion (which does look rather off topic) is this: why isn't there more blind testing of hifi equipment? It's standard practise in the world of fine wine (cp Decanter, The Wine Advocate. and Jancis Robinson's excellent website). And in the testing of pharmaceuticals a form of blind testing (double-blind randomised control trials) is now generally considered essential. 

Why so little blind testing of hifi?

Absolutely right!  Might I suggest that there is little blind testing of hifi because who in the industry would want their pretensions exposed?  If your jewellery isn't all its pretending to be you aren't going to rush round to the Assay Office!

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 1021
RE: Mains cables ?

Covenanter wrote:

matthewgbell wrote:

Quote:

Indeed and strangely enough I can taste the difference between all the wine I drink, otherwise what would be the point of buying different wine? That does not alter the fact that blind and sighted testing of wine, particularly where price is given[or made up] prejudices peoples appreciation and ranking of wines.  Although I guess one would call that snob bias rather than expectation bias.

:wave:

The norm in blind tasting of wine is to not reveal prices, precisely in order to exclude expectation bias (except of course if the purpose is to compare wines at a given price point, in which case price-related expectation bias is irrelevant).

My point in extending this discussion (which does look rather off topic) is this: why isn't there more blind testing of hifi equipment? It's standard practise in the world of fine wine (cp Decanter, The Wine Advocate. and Jancis Robinson's excellent website). And in the testing of pharmaceuticals a form of blind testing (double-blind randomised control trials) is now generally considered essential. 

Why so little blind testing of hifi?

Absolutely right!  Might I suggest that there is little blind testing of hifi because who in the industry would want their pretensions exposed?  If your jewellery isn't all its pretending to be you aren't going to rush round to the Assay Office!

Chris

 

Neither of you clearly understand, but, as you indicate it is off topic and I can't be asked to re-explain.

However to hifi blind testing, then the lack is to perpetuate the myth that equipment continues to get better [sound and vision wise] with every updated product and that there are differences between things that have no difference at all.  This would then prejudice existence of this medium and lots more besides.  

Myth peddling hasn't done the Church any harm in the last 2000 years,  Who knows perhaps the hifi/av industry will still be successfully peddling their myths in 2 more millenia, ably assisted by the hifi/av journalism in whatever form the future holds for us.

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

Pages

Log in or register to post comments