99 posts / 0 new
Last post
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5776
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Alantiggger wrote:

Well... you can't over the piece go wrong with 80's music as a whole.... It's WAY better than ANY other era, full stop.

Add to that ... many a song sung ... epecially by females was not as today... it was not all about taking off your clothes and inuendo about body-parts.... today's artists (we'll call em) should act in a like manner instead of so many coming across as tarts.... or like mannered descriptive.

I've kept out of this for as long as I can, now I have to say, there was very little good music in the eighties. Fashion and music wise, it was a dreadful decade.

As for songs not being about sex, or female artists not being tarts, two words, "Relax" and "Madonna".

The eighties was shite.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5776
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Level 42 - superb?

An oxymoron if ever there was one. Dreadful

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16818
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Nice to see BBB giving his usual balanced appraisal.

There was a lot of rubbish in the 80s, the flipside is there was a lot of good stuff too. No different from other decades.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1410
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Tastes differ and as the Romans said "I matters of taste there can be no dispute" (De gustibus non est disputandum).

I think there is a  natural preference for the music of our youth, mine was the 1960s, and at some point in life most people lose touch with developments in popular culture.  I lost touch towards the end of the 1970s.  I always try to listen to what is going on but most of it has no resonance with me.

I wonder how much our taste in hifi reflects our taste in music.  It seems to me that the majority of people on this forum don't like the same types of music as I do and so for example talk of sub-woofers leaves me cold as I don't need one to listen to a solo lute or a choir singing a 15th century mass.

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16818
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Covenanter wrote:

Tastes differ and as the Romans said "I matters of taste there can be no dispute" (De gustibus non est disputandum).

I think there is a  natural preference for the music of our youth, mine was the 1960s, and at some point in life most people lose touch with developments in popular culture.  I lost touch towards the end of the 1970s.  I always try to listen to what is going on but most of it has no resonance with me.

I wonder how much our taste in hifi reflects our taste in music.  It seems to me that the majority of people on this forum don't like the same types of music as I do and so for example talk of sub-woofers leaves me cold as I don't need one to listen to a solo lute or a choir singing a 15th century mass.

Chris

That's healthy. If we all like the same thing this world would be drab. In fact we'd all be walking around like robots, and we wouldn't learn anything, surely.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Charlie Jefferson's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 02/09/2007 - 23:49
Posts: 1898
RE: Level 42 - superb.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Alantiggger wrote:

Well... you can't over the piece go wrong with 80's music as a whole.... It's WAY better than ANY other era, full stop.

Add to that ... many a song sung ... epecially by females was not as today... it was not all about taking off your clothes and inuendo about body-parts.... today's artists (we'll call em) should act in a like manner instead of so many coming across as tarts.... or like mannered descriptive.

I've kept out of this for as long as I can, now I have to say, there was very little good music in the eighties. Fashion and music wise, it was a dreadful decade.

As for songs not being about sex, or female artists not being tarts, two words, "Relax" and "Madonna".

The eighties was shite.

Come on BBB, there's loads of great and not so good stuff in every decade. 

The Smiths, REM, New Order, Talk Talk,Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys, Husker Du, The Beastie Boys, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello amongst countless others all released brilliant albums in the 80s. But I'm guessing you were taking aim at the more chart-orientated stuff with which the decade is often associated. 

 

Level 42 were execrable though, I agree. And that's not a matter of taste, it's fact!

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5776
RE: Level 42 - superb.

plastic penguin wrote:

Nice to see BBB giving his usual balanced appraisal.

There was a lot of rubbish in the 70s, the flipside is there was a lot of good stuff too. No different from other decades.

It is a balanced view, because it comes from a lifetime of musical education. 

To me, music is about being educated, about being open minded enough to listen to something you've never heard before, something out of your comfort zone, and not a matter of taste.

Taste limits you as a listener. I didn't dismiss all music from the eighties, there are songs and bands I like from the eighties, it was the period of my teenage years.

Level 42 and superb are words I wouldn't associate with each other, this opinion is formed from hearing a lot of their songs, and not a dismissive reaction to their genre. If I heard something I liked by them, I would say so. 

So blunt and to the point, yes, but unbalanced, I don't think so.

 

 

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5776
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Alantiggger wrote:

Well... you can't over the piece go wrong with 80's music as a whole.... It's WAY better than ANY other era, full stop.

Add to that ... many a song sung ... epecially by females was not as today... it was not all about taking off your clothes and inuendo about body-parts.... today's artists (we'll call em) should act in a like manner instead of so many coming across as tarts.... or like mannered descriptive.

I've kept out of this for as long as I can, now I have to say, there was very little good music in the eighties. Fashion and music wise, it was a dreadful decade.

As for songs not being about sex, or female artists not being tarts, two words, "Relax" and "Madonna".

The eighties was shite.

Come on BBB, there's loads of great and not so good stuff in every decade. 

The Smiths, REM, New Order, Talk Talk,Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys, Husker Du, The Beastie Boys, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello amongst countless others all released brilliant albums in the 80s. But I'm guessing you were taking aim at the more chart-orientated stuff with which the decade is often associated. 

 

Level 42 were execrable though, I agree. And that's not a matter of taste, it's fact!

Charlie, you are undoubtedly a man with an educated ear. Please see my response above to see where I am coming from.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Diamond Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2008 - 14:35
Posts: 1300
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

Level 42 were execrable though, I agree. And that's not a matter of taste, it's fact!

A lot of other people of this thread will disagree with you. And BTW how can it possibly be "fact", what nonsense.
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16818
RE: Level 42 - superb.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Alantiggger wrote:

Well... you can't over the piece go wrong with 80's music as a whole.... It's WAY better than ANY other era, full stop.

Add to that ... many a song sung ... epecially by females was not as today... it was not all about taking off your clothes and inuendo about body-parts.... today's artists (we'll call em) should act in a like manner instead of so many coming across as tarts.... or like mannered descriptive.

I've kept out of this for as long as I can, now I have to say, there was very little good music in the eighties. Fashion and music wise, it was a dreadful decade.

As for songs not being about sex, or female artists not being tarts, two words, "Relax" and "Madonna".

The eighties was shite.

Come on BBB, there's loads of great and not so good stuff in every decade. 

The Smiths, REM, New Order, Talk Talk,Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys, Husker Du, The Beastie Boys, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello amongst countless others all released brilliant albums in the 80s. But I'm guessing you were taking aim at the more chart-orientated stuff with which the decade is often associated. 

 

Level 42 were execrable though, I agree. And that's not a matter of taste, it's fact!

Charlie, you are undoubtedly a man with an educated ear. Please see my response above to see where I am coming from.

We haven't got an educated ear then? Your responses come across as aggressive and, sometimes, patronising. We all love music for countless reasons, and I even mentioned (much earlier) in the thread this album only usually gets aired once in a blue moon. I was staggered by the sound quality. They were a good band, but nothing more... or less. 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Level 42 - superb.

This thread started off really well, discussing the SQ and mastering quailty of an album from 30 years ago.

Now it's turned into my music vs your music, my decade vs your decade, and as such has now degenerated into a pointless argument with no answer.

If we're talking about personal likes and dislikes (which we didn't start off doing) I think nearly all rap and what they now call R&B is utterly horrid, and if I had to choose between listenening to an hour of opera or drinking a glass of my own wee...pass the glass.  But someone else will have a different view, and that's ok too. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16818
RE: Level 42 - superb.

MajorFubar wrote:

This thread started off really well, discussing the SQ and mastering quailty of an album from 30 years ago.

Now it's turned into my music vs your music, my decade vs your decade, and as such has now degenerated into a pointless argument with no answer.

If we're talking about personal likes and dislikes (which we didn't start off doing) I think nearly all rap and what they now call R&B is utterly horrid, and if I had to choose between listenening to an hour of opera or drinking a glass of my own wee...pass the glass.  But someone else will have a different view, and that's ok too. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

:clap:

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Charlie Jefferson's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 02/09/2007 - 23:49
Posts: 1898
RE: Level 42 - superb.

MajorFubar wrote:

This thread started off really well, discussing the SQ and mastering quailty of an album from 30 years ago.

Now it's turned into my music vs your music, my decade vs your decade, and as such has now degenerated into a pointless argument with no answer.

If we're talking about personal likes and dislikes (which we didn't start off doing) I think nearly all rap and what they now call R&B is utterly horrid, and if I had to choose between listenening to an hour of opera or drinking a glass of my own wee...pass the glass.  But someone else will have a different view, and that's ok too. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

 

Diversity makes the world go round, does it? There was me thinking the revolving globe was all down to opinion, invective and wholehearted disagreements. 

 

Yes, I'm being facetious. Regarding geopolitics consensus and tolerance are self-evidently a good thing. But when it comes to matters Level 42, sorry but all reason and fairness fades to nought: they were appalling. 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5776
RE: Level 42 - superb.

MajorFubar wrote:

This thread started off really well, discussing the SQ and mastering quailty of an album from 30 years ago.

Now it's turned into my music vs your music, my decade vs your decade, and as such has now degenerated into a pointless argument with no answer.

If we're talking about personal likes and dislikes (which we didn't start off doing) I think nearly all rap and what they now call R&B is utterly horrid, and if I had to choose between listenening to an hour of opera or drinking a glass of my own wee...pass the glass.  But someone else will have a different view, and that's ok too. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

You can not dismiss all rap and modern R&B just from what you have heard. I used to do this, and it limits you to just listening to the same thing over and over, because you know you like it.

Personally, I haven't heard any modern R&B that does it for me, but it doesn't mean I will not listen to new stuff, or stuff I may have missed, that I just might like. I also hated all rap when I was younger, but i came to realise that you can't dismiss a genre of music by what charts, and what gets played on the radio. 

 

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5776
RE: Level 42 - superb.

Charlie Jefferson wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

This thread started off really well, discussing the SQ and mastering quailty of an album from 30 years ago.

Now it's turned into my music vs your music, my decade vs your decade, and as such has now degenerated into a pointless argument with no answer.

If we're talking about personal likes and dislikes (which we didn't start off doing) I think nearly all rap and what they now call R&B is utterly horrid, and if I had to choose between listenening to an hour of opera or drinking a glass of my own wee...pass the glass.  But someone else will have a different view, and that's ok too. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

But when it comes to matters Level 42, sorry but all reason and fairness fades to nought: they were appalling. 

Smile

But Charlie, as unlikely as it maybe, there could just be a track you've never heard that isn't awful. 

I'm not going to trawl through their albums to find it though, but if I heard one, I wouldn't call it shit if it wasn't.

 

 

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments