Have your say & ask the experts!

Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

35 replies [Last post]
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

shafesk wrote:

Hi Cno, have you heard both the r700 and r900s? What do you think are the differences? I know the r900s are bigger and go down lower in the bass due to their cabinet and driver size. Is there anything else that changes because I don't want to pay 300 pounds extra just for more bass.

Sorry for the late reply, as I forgot about your question.

I have heard the R700s but not the R900s........the reason for my comment, is that imo the R700s have as much bass as most people would want, unless they have a very big room or are "Bass Junkies".

Don't take my word for it, just bear it in mind while listening for yourself.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

hooflungdung's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2013
Posts: 6
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

hi shaf

 

i have both the mezzos & the caspian fr5's. In no way would i describe the roksans as warm compared to the mezzo's. Although both have their strengths. Mezzos are engaging in the lower mids & upper lows for rock such as pearl jam where a good bass line pulls you in. the caspians are detailed, throw out transient sounds fabulously around the room & are very open, but they are light in the 'guts' of the music, but fantastic with stuff like lonnie liston smith where high attention to detail in the production is evident.

considering the cost of each pair i reckon the mezzos are one of the great bargains of the hi fi world. Personally i am considering swapping both out for the old thin wall type sp2/3r2 or similar harbeth, but that is with caspian electronics which are pretty neutral.

 

Hope that helps & good luck 

shafesk's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 778
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

ISAC69 wrote:

shafesk wrote:

Dear all,

I finally have the oppurtunity to change my amp and speakers. At the moment I am looking at the Kef R900 paired with Cayin h-80 which is an 80 watt Class A amp with 150 watts @ 4ohms in Class A/B. The reviews say that the amp is on the warm side of neutral and as it is a tube hybrid it is more musical than analytical. I am looking for speaker which are just the same, they should be warmish and musical...musicality and vocal reproduction is most important, it should sound like someone is in the room. I get the in your room feeling with my current setup, although it is not the most revealing setup which I absolutely dont give a EDITED about. I am hoping someone who has these speakers could comment on the tonality so as to point me in the right direction or recommend some alternates. Just to make it clear, I care more about realism and don't like an analytical approach. THINK MUSICAL MUSICAL MUSICAL!

REally would appreciate any help,

Shafin

 

 

Hi Shafin 

 

The Cayin H-80 will arrrive to my country in the end of the mounth and I am very curious about this amp .

Did you buy or heard the Cayin h-80 ?

What is your opinion ?

 

Hi there, well I have placed an order and still waiting for it to arrive, right now all I know are from the rave reviews of stereophile which say "Put the Cayin up with any speakers and up against anything"...which is good enough for me. I will let you know once I have set it up to confirm...should take 3 weeks though, hope you can wait. 

Regards,

Shafin

__________________

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+

shafesk's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 778
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

CnoEvil wrote:

shafesk wrote:

Hi Cno, have you heard both the r700 and r900s? What do you think are the differences? I know the r900s are bigger and go down lower in the bass due to their cabinet and driver size. Is there anything else that changes because I don't want to pay 300 pounds extra just for more bass.

Sorry for the late reply, as I forgot about your question.

I have heard the R700s but not the R900s........the reason for my comment, is that imo the R700s have as much bass as most people would want, unless they have a very big room or are "Bass Junkies".

Don't take my word for it, just bear it in mind while listening for yourself.

Hi Cno, I'm no bass junkie...I was just wondering whether I'd end up with a lesser speaker if I buy the R700s. I don't want to spend this amount of money knowing I could've done better but didn't. If the R900s just add more bass I don't want it because it usually ruins it in my room. Thats why I didn't like the Aviano 8s, which are terrific in the midbass and treble but the bass sounds as if its disconnected from the speakers.

__________________

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+

shafesk's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 778
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

hooflungdung wrote:

hi shaf

 

i have both the mezzos & the caspian fr5's. In no way would i describe the roksans as warm compared to the mezzo's. Although both have their strengths. Mezzos are engaging in the lower mids & upper lows for rock such as pearl jam where a good bass line pulls you in. the caspians are detailed, throw out transient sounds fabulously around the room & are very open, but they are light in the 'guts' of the music, but fantastic with stuff like lonnie liston smith where high attention to detail in the production is evident.

considering the cost of each pair i reckon the mezzos are one of the great bargains of the hi fi world. Personally i am considering swapping both out for the old thin wall type sp2/3r2 or similar harbeth, but that is with caspian electronics which are pretty neutral.

 

Hope that helps & good luck 

Hi, thanks for the review. I do agree the Mezzos are great speakers but I'm afraid that in my setup it is one of the weaker components in terms of detail. Although the detail is great for an 800 pound speaker, I feel I can finally do better. I agree that a person can be happy with either Mezzos or Caspians, as with hifi we need to spend a lot more to achieve a bit more in terms of overall sound. 

__________________

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

shafesk wrote:

Hi Cno, I'm no bass junkie...I was just wondering whether I'd end up with a lesser speaker if I buy the R700s. I don't want to spend this amount of money knowing I could've done better but didn't. If the R900s just add more bass I don't want it because it usually ruins it in my room. Thats why I didn't like the Aviano 8s, which are terrific in the midbass and treble but the bass sounds as if its disconnected from the speakers.

Though I believe the R700 is the sweetspot of the range, the R500 is also worth trying as well.

It may not be the case that the R900 "only" gives more bass, as changing the bass (8" vs 6.5" Bass Drivers) "can" change the balance of the sound (for good or bad, depending on room / amp). This was the case when I compared 205/2 with 207/2, where the latter was more than a "205/2 with extra bass"......saying that, I believe the 205/2 is the sweetspot in that range.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

ISAC69's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 544
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

shafesk wrote:

ISAC69 wrote:

shafesk wrote:

Dear all,

I finally have the oppurtunity to change my amp and speakers. At the moment I am looking at the Kef R900 paired with Cayin h-80 which is an 80 watt Class A amp with 150 watts @ 4ohms in Class A/B. The reviews say that the amp is on the warm side of neutral and as it is a tube hybrid it is more musical than analytical. I am looking for speaker which are just the same, they should be warmish and musical...musicality and vocal reproduction is most important, it should sound like someone is in the room. I get the in your room feeling with my current setup, although it is not the most revealing setup which I absolutely dont give a EDITED about. I am hoping someone who has these speakers could comment on the tonality so as to point me in the right direction or recommend some alternates. Just to make it clear, I care more about realism and don't like an analytical approach. THINK MUSICAL MUSICAL MUSICAL!

REally would appreciate any help,

Shafin

 

 

Hi Shafin 

 

The Cayin H-80 will arrrive to my country in the end of the mounth and I am very curious about this amp .

Did you buy or heard the Cayin h-80 ?

What is your opinion ?

 

Hi there, well I have placed an order and still waiting for it to arrive, right now all I know are from the rave reviews of stereophile which say "Put the Cayin up with any speakers and up against anything"...which is good enough for me. I will let you know once I have set it up to confirm...should take 3 weeks though, hope you can wait. 

Regards,

Shafin

 

Good Luck with your new Cayin amp !

Please keep update .

__________________

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

 

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 6 Nov 2010
Posts: 314
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

A good review here http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kef3/1.html

I am hoping to demo these speakers in the future as there seems to be very positive reviews on the R series and the range toppers should be heard.

__________________

AV: Sony KDL37w5500-Yamaha RXV2065-Monitor Audio RX8 AV12-Pioneer BDP320-Chord & QED cables and connects-------------

HI-FI: Arcam A38-Arcam CD37-Monitor Audio RX8-Chord cables and connects

shafesk's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 778
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

Hi Ben, to be honest I tend not to go with 6moons reviews as they always talk more positives than negatives...I can't think of a review they did of a pair of speakers that they really disliked. I've found forum members and dealers to be more effective. I'll definitely give you a review if I end up buying these.

Regards,

Shafin

__________________

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+

improva's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Apr 2013
Posts: 5
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

I would give Harbeth SHL5, PMC Twenty 24, Atlantic Technology AT-1 a listen.

shafesk's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 778
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

CnoEvil wrote:

shafesk wrote:

Hi Cno, I'm no bass junkie...I was just wondering whether I'd end up with a lesser speaker if I buy the R700s. I don't want to spend this amount of money knowing I could've done better but didn't. If the R900s just add more bass I don't want it because it usually ruins it in my room. Thats why I didn't like the Aviano 8s, which are terrific in the midbass and treble but the bass sounds as if its disconnected from the speakers.

Though I believe the R700 is the sweetspot of the range, the R500 is also worth trying as well.

It may not be the case that the R900 "only" gives more bass, as changing the bass (8" vs 6.5" Bass Drivers) "can" change the balance of the sound (for good or bad, depending on room / amp). This was the case when I compared 205/2 with 207/2, where the latter was more than a "205/2 with extra bass"......saying that, I believe the 205/2 is the sweetspot in that range.

 

Well I think we have quite similar preferences in that we would have musical rather than neutral performance. With regards to this, it is my past experience that tells me that if you keep the midrange and the tweeter the same size and increase the bass drivers than the speaker sounds more authorotative and better capable of filling bigger spaces. It does however, tip the scale towards the bass region and can play havoc with small rooms. I can't think of any floorstander where I preffered the bigger floorstanding model from the same range. Mordaunt Short MEzzos, Avianos, Dynaudio Excites too. However, I will keep an open mind when auditoning the R900, as you say it can be different from the norm.

__________________

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

shafesk wrote:

Well I think we have quite similar preferences in that we would have musical rather than neutral performance. 

When I listen to a system, I am not trying to figure out if it's neutral (hard to determin), but if the music is emotional, credible, enjoyable and realistic......and this is not necessarily achieved with going ever more expensive.

I think we're on the same page here.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

BigH's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

shafesk wrote:

Hi Ben, to be honest I tend not to go with 6moons reviews as they always talk more positives than negatives...I can't think of a review they did of a pair of speakers that they really disliked. I've found forum members and dealers to be more effective. I'll definitely give you a review if I end up buying these.

Regards,

Shafin

 

I think Stereophile reviews are similar hardly any bad speaker reviews.

ISAC69's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Posts: 544
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

BigH wrote:

shafesk wrote:

Hi Ben, to be honest I tend not to go with 6moons reviews as they always talk more positives than negatives...I can't think of a review they did of a pair of speakers that they really disliked. I've found forum members and dealers to be more effective. I'll definitely give you a review if I end up buying these.

Regards,

Shafin

 

I think Stereophile reviews are similar hardly any bad speaker reviews.

From my experience the best way to decide if  the product is good or not is to listen to it sometimes reviews can make you confused one review

is telling that the other say the oposite... Your personal taste is most important when you are  making a decision what is the best speakers for you.

I am worry about the decision to buy the CAYIN H 80 A without demo it , I ordered before the Mission MX5 spakers without any demo and afer a year I realised that it was a big mistake and I replaced them for the Proac 140 MK2  , I hope it will be a good amp and that it will be a good match with the KEF R900 . KEEP US UPDATE !  

 

__________________

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

 

Ben K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 6 Nov 2010
Posts: 314
RE: Kef R900 with 80 watt Class A amp, am I doing it right?

I only use reviews to get an idea of what to demo. For example I demoed rx6 and rx8 and reviews suggested the 6 was the better speaker but for me the 8 was better in every way. Also my arcam a38 got a bad review here and a good review elsewhere and after a lengthy demo I thought it was amazing. I would always recommend a demo especially with speakers but it doesn't hurt to read some reviews and get an idea of what you want to test out.

I look forward to your personal review of the R series.

__________________

AV: Sony KDL37w5500-Yamaha RXV2065-Monitor Audio RX8 AV12-Pioneer BDP320-Chord & QED cables and connects-------------

HI-FI: Arcam A38-Arcam CD37-Monitor Audio RX8-Chord cables and connects