47 posts / 0 new
Last post
alchemist 1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/03/2012 - 18:19
Posts: 641
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

ErwinC wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:
One thing I will mention, is that what the R series and LS50 is ultimately capable of is very dependent on the accompanying electronics. They're the same as the Blades - they can sound great, or they can sound phenomenal.

What amplifier below £1500 works best with the LS50 according to you? I currently still use a Cyrus 6XP.

The R series has worked on almost any amplifier we've tried them on, but I would say that the LS50's will be a little more fussy because of their slightly different presentation. They seem to sound great on a Naim Nait XS, the Leema Elements amplifier, various Cyrus integrateds, and on the end of an Audiolab 8200CDQ/8200P combination too. A 6xp will work fine, but adding a power amp at a later date will definitely benefit.

 

ErwinC wrote:
FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:
Exactly why I'll be changing my R300's for LS50's for my 5.1 system Smile

You will be using 5 LS50's en 1 subwoofer?

Yes, it'll be five LS50's used as satellites, and a single subwoofer.

  What did you do with the spare ls50 ?

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11152
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

alchemist 1 wrote:
What did you do with the spare ls50 ?

Still got it all wrapped up. Chances are, with the impending delivery of the Ken Kreisel speakers, I'll be wanting those as soon as I hear them (I have missed my M&K's!), so these will either be sold as a 6.0 system, split down to stereo pairs, or sold as a 5.1 as there is someone interested in my single one as a centre.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11152
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50 RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

charliecharlie wrote:
how is your 5.1 system working out with the ls50's? mind if i ask which av amp you paired with?

i asked the kef guys about it as an idea and they recommended the ls50's as front speakers only.....

im picking a pair up soon, was thinking about getting three more..

Who are you asking?

The LS50's will work well as rears as well. They're a pretty wide dispersion, and in the mixing studios they use direct firing speakers all round, so with the LS50's all round you're hearing it more like they were when they were mixing the movie. 

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

alchemist 1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/03/2012 - 18:19
Posts: 641
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50 RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

alchemist 1 wrote:
What did you do with the spare ls50 ?

Still got it all wrapped up. Chances are, with the impending delivery of the Ken Kreisel speakers, I'll be wanting those as soon as I hear them (I have missed my M&K's!), so these will either be sold as a 6.0 system, split down to stereo pairs, or sold as a 5.1 as there is someone interested in my single one as a centre.

                      Would be interested in the single speaker  David if it became available.  Smile

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11152
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

Business isn't allowed on the forum, so best to email me Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

alchemist 1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 28/03/2012 - 18:19
Posts: 641
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50 RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Business isn't allowed on the forum, so best to email me Smile

      Oop's    :doh:    

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16240
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Business isn't allowed on the forum, so best to email me Smile

Just a quick question: How does the R300 stack  up against DB1is? Heard so many good noises about the R300s it'll seem criminal not to hear them.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11152
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

The R300's reach deeper with regards to bass, which is helped by its cabinet volume and dedicated bass driver. They're larger in scale which is to be expected really as they are a larger speaker than the DB1i's. Even though detail levels are probably similar, they're smoother too, but some may prefer the brighter sound of the DB1i's. They're much better built than the DB1i's, allowing them to sound cleaner which helps towards them 'disappearing'. The difference in cabinet construction is pretty substantial - boxy isn't the sort of label you could attach to the R300's. 

The DB1i's excel at lower level listening. They're a great little speaker, and they'd certainly work a little better in smaller rooms. Even though there are many benefits to the R300's, I'd still recommend people to try the DB1i as they are a good little speaker, and fairly easy to drive too.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16240
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

The R300's reach deeper with regards to bass, which is helped by its cabinet volume and dedicated bass driver. They're larger in scale which is to be expected really as they are a larger speaker than the DB1i's. Even though detail levels are probably similar, they're smoother too, but some may prefer the brighter sound of the DB1i's. They're much better built than the DB1i's, allowing them to sound cleaner which helps towards them 'disappearing'. The difference in cabinet construction is pretty substantial - boxy isn't the sort of label you could attach to the R300's. 

The DB1i's excel at lower level listening. They're a great little speaker, and they'd certainly work a little better in smaller rooms. Even though there are many benefits to the R300's, I'd still recommend people to try the DB1i as they are a good little speaker, and fairly easy to drive too.

Thanks David. I have said many times DB1is are one of my favourite sub-1k standmounters (even though they've just crept over that threshold). It's just whether they'll sound fine a foot from the rear wall, like the DB1s,...

Really I'm to discover which speakers have  the virtues of the RS6s, yet eliminate the negatives of the MAs - DB1is certainly tick those boxes, as does Totem Arros.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11152
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

I think you'd like the R300's based on the sort of level of bass you're used to, although the R300's will sound cleaner, and you should find the R300's more seamless at its crossover points, particularly midrange to treble. Using the outer bungs, they should be fine a foot from the wall - I had mine closer. The DB1i's HF will be more like the MA's though. It'll be interesting to see how you view them after a demo.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16240
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

Yup, based on comments I've read here they do seem to come close to "my sound". I also work on the unscientific basis that if the RS6s sound fine 12" from the wall then a standmount should also. In addition the Leema's bass is so tight, and fairly leanish, should cover all aspects... I hope. Smile

Thanks again, David.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Zax89swe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 19/04/2011 - 15:53
Posts: 153
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

Which is the best speaker of these two? I can get those for the same price. Do I get audiophile sound compare to my wharfedales 155? I see this as a long time investment.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12095
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

Zax89swe wrote:

Which is the best speaker of these two? I can get those for the same price. Do I get audiophile sound compare to my wharfedales 155? I see this as a long time investment.

Depends.......probably not the answer you were looking for.

If you are looking for a slightly more detailed, cleaner, neutral and controlled sound.....the LS50s would be my pick.

Wheras, if you want more scale in a bigger room, and a slightly more forgiving sound.......it would be the R300s.

I can't compare them with the 155s as I haven't heard them.

Also IMO. they ideally need an amp that's more in line with the cost of them

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

eindhoven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/02/2014 - 12:45
Posts: 2
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

Does anybody have an idea which one will sound better with Marantz CD6003, PM7003 and do I need to consider R500 as an option. My room is 3.5 by 7 but I only listen to 3.5 x 3.5. I Ilike the warm sound of R300 but there was something appealing in the more open LS50. I don't want to add sub and will use them for music only

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12095
RE: KEF R300 vs LS50

eindhoven wrote:

Does anybody have an idea which one will sound better with Marantz CD6003, PM7003 and do I need to consider R500 as an option. My room is 3.5 by 7 but I only listen to 3.5 x 3.5. I Ilike the warm sound of R300 but there was something appealing in the more open LS50. I don't want to add sub and will use them for music only

If you want scale and impact, the R500s would be my choice. If you want speed and detail, with a tight punchy and revealing sound...look at the LS50s.

Only a detailed listen, will give you your answers.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments