Have your say & ask the experts!

Kef R100 or Dynaudio Excite X12 for Rega Brio-R?

28 replies [Last post]
jazz21's picture

Has anyone had experience with both these two please? Which ones is better for Brio-R?
Thanks!

jerry klinger's picture
RE: Kef R100 or Dynaudio Excite X12 for Rega Brio-R?

Good question.

Rega RP6 Groovetracer sub and counterweight/DV20X2L/Rega Aria/Naim CD5XS/Flatcap XS/NAT05XS/ND5XS/Supernait 2/Dynaudio 1.8-II & sometimes Rega RS5

Whichever you like the sound of best Smile

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

therecruiter's picture

May not be too much help but heard the KEF R100s a lot with the Brio R as well as the LS50s but only the Dynaudio DM2/6s...

the R100s bar far were the better suited; fantastic sound, punchy/taut & deep bass with superb mids and top end. LS50s and the Dynaudios were very good but they didnt seem to gel as well with the Brio R but I think that's because they're not as a easy drive as the KEF R100s...

Living room: iTunes to ATV 2 (via AirPlay) to Cyrus 8 DAC with KEF LS50 speakers - Tellurium Q Blue cables

Spare room: Marantz CR603, AirPlay, Monitor Audio RX2's - Chord Odyssey 2 cables

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

Hi Jazz21

About the Kef 100 i can not help you, but it was on my list to demo but in Portugal the dealer didn't have them...

Regardering the Dynaudios Excite X12 i don't get tierd to speak good things about my system combo Rega Brio R / Dynaudio Excite X12 !!!

it is important to know a bit more about your music tastes and the space you can provide to the Dyns. 

In my oppinion: 

- it is a killer system for detail

- very revealing

- a knock out for female voices, jazz, bossa nova, classic music, pop, rock ( Dire straits, Pink Floyd an so on...) the bass is fast, clean and tight. And for the speaker sise some time i get up to certify miself if the sub is off.

And if you like vinyl, oh my god, as i think the Brio R and the Dyns were made to play it!

if you need some more info plaese ask!

beauty, eh

jazz21's picture

Thank you for your answers ... It seems that both have their strengths, I try to listen to both, but do not know if I will succeed (because long distance to the dealers).

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

I think that the Kef R100 aren't a match for the Excite X12, try instead the R300.

therecruiter's picture

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I think that the Kef R100 aren't a match for the Excite X12, try instead the R300.

youve said you haven't heard the KEF R100s so how can you say they're not a match!

please only advise if you're in a position to do so; not here say or 'feelings'!

Living room: iTunes to ATV 2 (via AirPlay) to Cyrus 8 DAC with KEF LS50 speakers - Tellurium Q Blue cables

Spare room: Marantz CR603, AirPlay, Monitor Audio RX2's - Chord Odyssey 2 cables

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

therecruiter wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

youve said you haven't heard the KEF R100s so how can you say they're not a match!

please only advise if you're in a position to do so; not here say or 'feelings'!

Kef R100 freq. Response +-3db 56hz - 28 Khz crossover freq 2.5 khz 

sensit 86db

Kef R300 freq. Response +-3db 50Hz - 28 Khz crossover freq 500hz - 2.8 khz

sensit 88db

Dynaudio Excite X12 freq response +-3db 50Hz - 23 Khz crossover freq. 2,0 Khz

sensit 86 db

this is the paper talking !!! Not me!

therecruiter's picture

Ignore paper specs; trust your ears!!!

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

If i can't heard them i've to trust some thing specific! 

jjw20's picture

You've probably already made your decision but I have just spent the afternoon having a demo of the sonos through the Rega Brio with the Dynaudio x12's and the combo sounds excellent. We tried various other speakers but there was no comparison. I have purchased the amp and ordered the x12's. I don't think you will be disappointed.

jjw20's picture

You've probably already made your decision but I have just spent the afternoon having a demo of the sonos through the Rega Brio with the Dynaudio x12's and the combo sounds excellent. We tried various other speakers but there was no comparison. I have purchased the amp and ordered the x12's. I don't think you will be disappointed.

csq2's picture

I'd go for the R100s as they are much easy to drive than the X12s. X12s require a bit more power. 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture

jjw20 wrote:

Hi jjw20

Great CHOICE !!!

This Dyns X12 really are gems! And paird with the Rega Brio R that is a detaild and smooth sound they get along great.

Of course the Dyns X12 can handle and benefit from a more eficient amp. 

But if you only have money for the Brio R, you'll have a great sounding system.

And if you want to take the best from them try with a turning table...

Best REGArds

plastic penguin's picture

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

That maybe very true, but it's also down to room acoustics, how loud the OP plays music - and as you rightly pointed out - the style of music the OP likes. As I've found out with my system, sometimes less is more.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin