227 posts / 0 new
Last post
lecson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 13/08/2010 - 14:51
Posts: 10
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

I was hoping this was going to have some useful information about the two speakers mentioned in the OP but apprently not.

 

I pity the OP having to read through this lot.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23060
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Andrew Everard wrote:

John Duncan wrote:
About a million unique visitors a month last time I saw, but that was a long time ago.

Of late about 0.5m+ unique visitors per week for the site as a whole, and just under 350,000 page views for the forums out of a total of just under 3.25m.

Apologies, I'm clearly out of date. You're gonna need a bigger server...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16139
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Andrew Everard wrote:
John Duncan wrote:
About a million unique visitors a month last time I saw, but that was a long time ago.

Of late about 0.5m+ unique visitors per week for the site as a whole, and just under 350,000 page views for the forums out of a total of just under 3.25m.

I think if I was of a paranoid disposition, 350,000 forum page views per week would be a scarier statistic than a handful of people on another forum 'monitoring' us.

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3570
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

lecson wrote:

I was hoping this was going to have some useful information about the two speakers mentioned in the OP but apprently not.

 

I pity the OP having to read through this lot.

It does, but it's well hidden amongst the detritus.

moon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 10/11/2011 - 09:14
Posts: 861
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Overdose wrote:

altruistic.lemon wrote:

Wireless. Floorstanders, too.

If you have the room I'd go Magnepan or Martin Logan, they are really so much better than active and passive equivalents.

I have no idea why the AVI forum would be paranoid. The challenge from Dynaudio, ATC, Linn etc perhaps?

The floorstanders still have no better amplification and wireless is at the moment of little benefit.

Electrostatics, yes, I see the appeal, but it is unlikely that I'll find myself in a situation where I have the space for them anytime soon (having small chldren running around). Some electrostatics and a conventional sub would be quite nice I suppose, but for me right now, bookshelf/standmount speakers are where it needs to be. My choices at the moment for more headroom are larger monitors or the ADMs. My shortlist is fluid, but has a few core speakers.

The paranoia thing wasn't actually aimed at AVI or anyone in particular, but part of the reason that I would give the ADMs a reference, is a lack of any challenge at their price point, even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison and that is also without the apparent quality of drivers in the ADMs.

I think your system challenges the AVi's ! and you have a USB input which oops .....they seem to have forgotten.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

The original ADM9 had USB, and they ditched it in favour of optical and coax.  

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 18 hours ago
Joined: 11/03/2011 - 23:54
Posts: 1166
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Overdose wrote:

even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison

underpowered? to what exactly application? 50W/ driver will easily give you +100dB output in your listening room on your listening position. 50W is enough to yield 100dB @ 1m (I assume Xeo would be around 86dB efficient). if you factor in the fact that you'll actually have 2 sound sources and room gain, increased distance at listening position will have no consequences. if this is underpowered to you I beg to ask at what exactly volume levels you listen to your music?

have you ever considered a fact that maybe Dynaudio were simply more logical with the choice of their power amps? therefore they decided not to overspec (which I think should be squarely in line with AVI's engineering philosophy. I noticed that some HDD forum members don't applaud to "arc welder" type amp technology. I personally see nothing wrong in such amps though...).

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3570
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Appreciate the complement, but I could do with a bit more bass authority and overall volume headroom on the odd occasion, mainly for movies though.

BM12A

Event OPal (used)

ADM9RSS

Quested S8R (budget busting, but v.nice)

 

moon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 10/11/2011 - 09:14
Posts: 861
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

the record spot wrote:

The original ADM9 had USB, and they ditched it in favour of optical and coax.  

even though there are loads of PC users out there which dont have optical ouputs.?

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11287
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Overdose wrote:
I've seen the Xeos, quite a bit down on power than the ADMs though and this would be an issue in a larger room.  They wouldn't really give me anything over what I already have.

The Xeos are aimed at a different market to the ADM's - those that want wireless speakers. They're not aiming for AVI's market, they just want a good quality, wireless speaker for their normal sized living room that looks good too. Dynaudio have done the job very well.

Overdose wrote:
Now as far as arguments go, the argy bargy usually begins once the ADMs have been advised and then someone chips in with a snippy comment against the ADMs and the 'blue touch paper' is lit.

I disagree. It all usually starts when those who recommend ADM's compare them (always crossover) and talk (in infamous Ash fashion) negatively about passive speakers. There's never any mention of cabinet or drive units, just 'the crossover".  

I'm sure if passive crossovers are as nasty and hideous as Ash makes out, all passive speakers would sound worse than a Brian May guitar solo. Not the case though, is it.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3570
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

Overdose wrote:

even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison

underpowered? to what exactly application? 50W/ driver will easily give you +100dB output in your listening room on your listening position. 50W is enough to yield 100dB @ 1m (I assume Xeo would be around 86dB efficient). if you factor in the fact that you'll actually have 2 sound sources and room gain, increased distance at listening position will have no consequences. if this is underpowered to you I beg to ask at what exactly volume levels you listen to your music?

have you ever considered a fact that maybe Dynaudio were simply more logical with the choice of their power amps? therefore they decided not to overspec (which I think should be squarely in line with AVI's engineering philosophy. I noticed that some HDD forum members don't applaud to "arc welder" type amp technology. I personally see nothing wrong in such amps though...).

I have the BM5As and the topology is very similar. I suspect the same amplification is used in both models. The BM5As are fantastic to a point, that point being what most people would consider adequate, but played at 'party' levels can sound strained, and they would have a right to, being primarily nearfield monitors for smallish studios. My room is about 12' x 22'.

In addition the larger drivers should give a better lower frequency performance.

Anyhow, over-engineering, headroom, factor of safety, call it what you will, it is always nice to have power in reserve, knowing full well that you'll always have enough. The Xeos might well be OK for many, but for me, they'd be more of a move sideways.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

moon wrote:

the record spot wrote:

The original ADM9 had USB, and they ditched it in favour of optical and coax.  

even though there are loads of PC users out there which dont have optical ouputs.?

 

Yup, me included, but they go some ways to pitch themselves alongside Apple and the Home Cinema user, so you're looking at optical from those two and coax for good measure.  I think rediscovering USB and sticking back in would be a good move, but that's not where they see it to my understanding.

moon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 10/11/2011 - 09:14
Posts: 861
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

the record spot wrote:

moon wrote:

the record spot wrote:

The original ADM9 had USB, and they ditched it in favour of optical and coax.  

even though there are loads of PC users out there which dont have optical ouputs.?

 

Yup, me included, but they go some ways to pitch themselves alongside Apple and the Home Cinema user, so you're looking at optical from those two and coax for good measure.  I think rediscovering USB and sticking back in would be a good move, but that's not where they see it to my understanding.

perhaps the AVi's are too niche a product for the average pc user. Pioneer have included a usb in put on the top ot the range AV amp.

Overdose's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 08/02/2008 - 18:23
Posts: 3570
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Overdose wrote:
I've seen the Xeos, quite a bit down on power than the ADMs though and this would be an issue in a larger room.  They wouldn't really give me anything over what I already have.

The Xeos are aimed at a different market to the ADM's - those that want wireless speakers. They're not aiming for AVI's market, they just want a good quality, wireless speaker for their normal sized living room that looks good too. Dynaudio have done the job very well.

 

Overdose wrote:
Now as far as arguments go, the argy bargy usually begins once the ADMs have been advised and then someone chips in with a snippy comment against the ADMs and the 'blue touch paper' is lit.

I disagree. It all usually starts when those who recommend ADM's compare them (always crossover) and talk (in infamous Ash fashion) negatively about passive speakers. There's never any mention of cabinet or drive units, just 'the crossover".  

I'm sure if passive crossovers are as nasty and hideous as Ash makes out, all passive speakers would sound worse than a Brian May guitar solo. Not the case though, is it.

 

Whatever the XEO market is, they're not for me for the reasons I've already stated. I see no point in moving sideways. I'm sure the Dyns are very nice.

As far as arguments go, then if issue is with whatever a poster writes then that post should be replied to, preferably with a balanced response rather than emotional ranting or petty sniping. There are not many people who seem to be able to reply in a knowledgable and informative way it would seem, so the responses given just come out as irrelevant noise. Obviously there are exceptions, but exceptions they are and not the rule.

Being such a knowledgable chap on the subject, why not put in your own counter argument about how passive speakers are not bettered by actives in the way mentioned in this post and others. Would that not lend you more credence to your position?

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 days ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Overdose wrote:

...why not put in your own counter argument about how passive speakers are not bettered by actives in the way mentioned in this post and others. Would that not lend you more credence to your position?

 

Mine: not necessarily practical and can require additional adapters to facilitate CD (or other) connectivity (e.g. if XLR or unbalanced 1/4" only available), appearance, inflexible, need to choose carefully to avoid a "sound" that doesn't suit the listener (e.g. too flat and better off in a recording studio for mastering purposes), can need a pre-amp if one not built-in...horses for courses.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments