428 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6462
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Initially I ran them with just the outer bung, but I took the bungs out later in the evening when I was playing them at a lower volume. I think if I was playing at my normal levels, I would need the outer bung Smile

 

So in a fairly normal domestic setup, when changing volume one may need to fiddle round the back of the speakers (5 in your case) inserting or removing bungs? Doesn't sound very domestic friendly....

alchemist 1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 18 hours ago
Joined: 28/03/2012 - 18:19
Posts: 659
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

BenLaw wrote:

alchemist 1 wrote:

ErwinC wrote:

alchemist 1 wrote:

    So how do the LS 50 compare too say ATC's scm 11's ?    Smile

 

Perhaps this link (bottom of page) answers your question: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-r300-vs-ls50

It is the opinion of a former scm11 owner.

 

But you already knew that answer because you asked the same question in that thread. Did you not like the answer? Wink

    Yes, same question. Another persons opinion. 

                 Any way going to find out myself tomorrow demoing  LS50's and others, somewhere in coventry. Wink

 

Which other speakers will you be demoing?

        Acoustic energy's REF1'S, Atc19's plus any other's suggested on the day. 
David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11613
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

BenLaw wrote:
So in a fairly normal domestic setup, when changing volume one may need to fiddle round the back of the speakers (5 in your case) inserting or removing bungs? Doesn't sound very domestic friendly....

Always the negative eh Ben?

No. As they're running in, I'm experimenting. Chances are, I'll settle on just the outer bungs, as I did with the R300's.

I had the rear R300's fully bunged as they were either side if me and positioned right up against a solid wall. The fronts I just used the outer bung as that was the better balance for my room and preference.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

lindsayt's picture
Online
Last seen: 20 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 01:18
Posts: 1263
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

I think that the KEF LS50’s may well be the best book-shelf sized speakers that you can buy new for under £1000 from your local specialist hi-fi store.

 

I think that the designer has done a remarkably good job of balancing the compromises in a speaker such as this.

 

The LS50’s have a good amount of clarity, have a good overall balance between bass, midrange and treble with none of them dominating the tonal balance.

 

Are they the best sounding speakers you can buy for £800? No I don’t think so. Compared to speakers that I’ve bought 2nd hand for £500 the LS50’s are dynamically compressed. They are coloured with what sounds like a peak in their frequency response from 100 to 250hz with another peak or two in the midrange and one in the treble, with troughs inbetween them. Subjectively this creates a lack of smoothness across the midrange. They do the leading edge of bass guitar notes well, but are not good at the trailing, decaying parts of these notes. They lack the air pressurising authority that a much larger speaker would have for bass drums and bass synths. They also lack sweetness in the upper midrange and treble – when recreating sweet sounding instruments. Part of this will be down to the solid state amps that I heard them with. But then at 84 dbs/2.83v/1m efficiency they do nudge you towards the solid state amplification route. At lower volumes I noticed an interesting effect: the bass disappears somewhat, as if they need generous volumes to get the reflex port to wake up and come on song.

 

Having said all that, I still found them likeable speakers and can understand why many people would be very happy with them.

 

ErwinC's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 24/11/2009 - 12:02
Posts: 421
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

lindsayt wrote:

Compared to speakers that I’ve bought 2nd hand for £500 the LS50’s are dynamically compressed. They are coloured with what sounds like a peak in their frequency response from 100 to 250hz with another peak or two in the midrange and one in the treble, with troughs inbetween them.

 

The frequency response measurements i have seen don't show any peaks at all. In fact, the measurements are flat, more so than many other speakers. In one audio magazine they even made a very positive remark on the flat frequency response.

 

I don't find them dynamically compressed either compared to the many previous compact speakers i have owned (Dynaudio Focus 110, ATC SCM12, ...). Are you sure you listened to a pair that was well played in?

Naim UnitiLite - Chord Carnival Silverscreen - PMC Twenty.21

Rethep's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 02/05/2011 - 00:03
Posts: 381
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Definitely these speakers have the most buzz about them, here.

 

I think they can be driven by a good (expensive) tube-amp, which enhances their sound "invisibility". They really can disappear. The bass will be very good then.

I think my old Epos ES 11's surpassed them rytmically because of its stronger bass. Their midrange is sweeter too! It led to a more balanced sound. Of course a 13 cm woofer does no miracles to the bass. The Epos has a 16 cm.

 

Airport Express (still analog!), Artephonos Energa (tube-amp), Peitho 303 (infinite baffle speakers)

mike07899's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 31/07/2012 - 13:34
Posts: 4
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Can it be placed against a wall do you think? Will putting bungs in detract significantly?

Also do these speakers come with grilles? I'm not sure I'm completely comfortablewith the styling and not convinced they will stand the test of time. 

Loving the sound reviews though. Would audition them if there were any slightly less bold finishes that might sit more comfortably in my sitting room. 

Mike

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4653
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

alchemist 1 wrote:

Well the 11's ARE one of the bench marks on this forum.   Wink

Hi alchemist 1

No boom, bloom, gloom, bling, like for like or pretence. SCM11 monitors with their low distortion, flat and honest designs instead reproduce the stability and the power of the sound in a controlled, uncoloured and natural manner.

The original ATC monitoring  Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

lindsayt's picture
Online
Last seen: 20 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 01:18
Posts: 1263
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

ErwinC wrote:

lindsayt wrote:

Compared to speakers that I’ve bought 2nd hand for £500 the LS50’s are dynamically compressed. They are coloured with what sounds like a peak in their frequency response from 100 to 250hz with another peak or two in the midrange and one in the treble, with troughs inbetween them.

 

The frequency response measurements i have seen don't show any peaks at all. In fact, the measurements are flat, more so than many other speakers. In one audio magazine they even made a very positive remark on the flat frequency response.

 

I don't find them dynamically compressed either compared to the many previous compact speakers i have owned (Dynaudio Focus 110, ATC SCM12, ...). Are you sure you listened to a pair that was well played in?

Have you seen the measurements in this review?

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/review/LS50_HFN_0712.pdf

 

Dynaudio Focus 110, Atc SCM12 are also dynamically compressed speakers. It's a trait shared by every low efficiency coned and domed speaker that I've come across.

 

The pair that I listened to were well played in.

lindsayt's picture
Online
Last seen: 20 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 01:18
Posts: 1263
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

MUSICRAFT wrote:

alchemist 1 wrote:

Well the 11's ARE one of the bench marks on this forum.   Wink

Hi alchemist 1

No boom, bloom, gloom, bling, like for like or pretence. SCM11 monitors with their low distortion, flat and honest designs instead reproduce the stability and the power of the sound in a controlled, uncoloured and natural manner.

The original ATC monitoring  Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick,

what sonic limitations do you think that the ATC SCM11's have?

No speaker is perfect.

jaxwired's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 days ago
Joined: 07/02/2009 - 20:58
Posts: 1789
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

David,

Thanks for the update.  Smile

Music Server -> Devialet 400 -> PMC Fact 8 -> Chord Cables

ErwinC's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 24/11/2009 - 12:02
Posts: 421
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

lindsayt wrote:

Have you seen the measurements in this review?

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/review/LS50_HFN_0712.pdf

Dynaudio Focus 110, Atc SCM12 are also dynamically compressed speakers. It's a trait shared by every low efficiency coned and domed speaker that I've come across.

 

Have you campared these flat (the word they use is flat trend) measurements to other speaker measurements done by this magazine? I have seen measurements of the LS50 in 2 German audio magazines that were even more flat.

But according to you all low efficiency coned and domed speakers are dynamically compressed? I also owned B&W Nautilus 803, Dynaudio Contour S3.4, Audio Physic Virgo, Dunlavy SC-IV, .... . Compared to these, the LS50 do not sound dynamically compressed to me.

One of the best compact  speakers i have ever heard were the Dynaudio Confidence 3 and Confidence C1. These are also low efficiency speakers and thus also sound dynamically compressed according to you?

 

BTW, how do you know there are three peaks? I hope that the answer is not that you heard these peaks.

Naim UnitiLite - Chord Carnival Silverscreen - PMC Twenty.21

ErwinC's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 24/11/2009 - 12:02
Posts: 421
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

MUSICRAFT wrote:

No boom, bloom, gloom, bling, like for like or pretence. SCM11 monitors with their low distortion, flat and honest designs instead reproduce the stability and the power of the sound in a controlled, uncoloured and natural manner.

The original ATC monitoring  Smile

 

Although sounding dynamically compressed according to another poster in this thread. Wink

Naim UnitiLite - Chord Carnival Silverscreen - PMC Twenty.21

Kubs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 08/11/2007 - 17:55
Posts: 94
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Hi David,

Do you use a sub with the KEFs when listening to music (Stereo) - if so, which one?

Synology 212j
MDAC
-- Van Den Hul
Musical Fidelity M6500i
-- TQ Black
KEF ls50

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11613
RE: KEF ls50 - Highly Recommended

Kubs wrote:
Hi David, Do you use a sub with the KEFs when listening to music (Stereo) - if so, which one?

I haven't used a sub yet for music, but for movies in using a Ken Kreisel DXD12012. Tell a lie, I did briefly try a bit of music and they sounded good together. The fact that the DXD12012 has similar traits to the LS50's regarding their ability to disappear made a good pairing. I'll be exploring that a little more when they're run in. 

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Pages

Log in or register to post comments