Have your say & ask the experts!

Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

27 replies [Last post]
camcroft's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 223
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

lindsayt wrote:

My Kylie Minogue CD's are fun to listen to. Well recorded, well produced pop songs.

 

It's quite possible that the plugs are making more difference than the cables in some bake-offs.

With mains cables the 3 pin plug, fuse and the IEC connector may well be making more difference than the cable itself.

 I should be so lucky.lucky.lucky.lucky.............

__________________

Marantz SR5023 - Marantz CD5003 - Project Debut Carbon Turntable Black gloss with acrylic platter & Rega Mini phono stage with Atlas Element Integra cables;Monitor Audio RX1 Black gloss Speakers.-Chord Carnival speaker cables.Atacama Nexus 7 speaker stands. Crystal Accoustics BluDAC streamer

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 743
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

lindsayt wrote:

My Kylie Minogue CD's are fun to listen to. Well recorded, well produced pop songs.

No doubt they are.  But I, for one, would rather be forced to slide naked down the rusty edge of a sheet of old corrugated iron using my manly parts as brakes than have to listen to them.

lindsayt wrote:

It's quite possible that the plugs are making more difference than the cables in some bake-offs.

I agree.  That's why I posed the question.  Which is better or does it make ****er-all difference?

lindsayt wrote:

With mains cables the 3 pin plug, fuse and the IEC connector may well be making more difference than the cable itself.

 

That's you off the WHF Christmas card list Smile

busb's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jun 2011
Posts: 920
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

lindsayt wrote:

My Kylie Minogue CD's are fun to listen to. Well recorded, well produced pop songs.

 

It's quite possible that the plugs are making more difference than the cables in some bake-offs.

With mains cables the 3 pin plug, fuse and the IEC connector may well be making more difference than the cable itself.

I'm with Lindsey here. I've a single or two that are well-recorded & well-crafted. Maybe I'm not such a music snob as I thought!

__________________

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true."

James Branch Cabell

 

_________________________________________________________

MAIN: Apple TV2, Mac Mini (controlled from various iThings using Remote), CA Azur 751BD & Panasonic P42V20B into audiolab M-DAC, feeding a Primare A34.2 class D power amp via XLRs, 2x 5m of Atlas Ascent 2 firing up Totem Arros. DALI Kubik Free in my kitchen

ON THE HOOF: iPhone 5S/Sennheiser MM450.

k77stan's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Posts: 67
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

i use solderless nakamichi bananas from e.b. 8 of them for less than a tenner..not bad at all..my partner wouldnt even dream to put a kylie cd in my player-she knows it will start skipping.. shame on you

__________________

Nad C352pd,C545bee,Denon DNP720ae,Panasonic DMP BDT500,JBL l830,Rel Stampede,Chord Cobra+,Atlas Element Integra and hundreds of assorted guitar driven cd's and dvd's

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 743
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

k77stan wrote:

i use solderless nakamichi bananas from e.b. 8 of them for less than a tenner..not bad at all..my partner wouldnt even dream to put a kylie cd in my player-she knows it will start skipping.. shame on you

I once skipped a Blackberry across Lake Ponchatrain (that's just north and east of New Orleans in case you didn't know).  I got seven bounces....

k77stan's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Posts: 67
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

Benedict_Arnold wrote:

k77stan wrote:

i use solderless nakamichi bananas from e.b. 8 of them for less than a tenner..not bad at all..my partner wouldnt even dream to put a kylie cd in my player-she knows it will start skipping.. shame on you

I once skipped a Blackberry across Lake Ponchatrain (that's just north and east of New Orleans in case you didn't know).  I got seven bounces....

try harder mate,should be doing better than this  doh!

__________________

Nad C352pd,C545bee,Denon DNP720ae,Panasonic DMP BDT500,JBL l830,Rel Stampede,Chord Cobra+,Atlas Element Integra and hundreds of assorted guitar driven cd's and dvd's

MajorFubar's picture
Online
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3147
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

Although I use banana-plugs for convienience, I remain unconvinced that adding another unnecessary component between the cross-over and the speaker-cable will ever add anything positive to the sound. Personally I doubt I'd hear a difference either way, but clamping the bare wire to the terminal at least seems to be one step closer to ideal.

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz CD63KIS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Nakamichi DR-1

Singslinger's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 658
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

BenLaw wrote:

hammill wrote:

Benedict_Arnold wrote:

And then your wife gets out her Kylie CD (or worse)...

Worse?

 

Dannii. 

Barry.

Vizzage's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Aug 2009
Posts: 103
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

camcroft wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Do you believe cables are likely to make difference in the first place?

I believe they do but there is so much negativity about the subject that i just use two pieces of string instead and they sound great Wink

So you only listen through one speaker? Wink

__________________

SRM-tech Rega P3/GL2400     Talk Electronics             Castle Howard

Rega Planet CD player       >    Hurricane/Tornado/   >  speakers with

Denon TU-1800 DAB/FM         Whirlwind amplifiers      Tellurium Q Black

Benedict_Arnold's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 743
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

k77stan wrote:

Benedict_Arnold wrote:

k77stan wrote:

i use solderless nakamichi bananas from e.b. 8 of them for less than a tenner..not bad at all..my partner wouldnt even dream to put a kylie cd in my player-she knows it will start skipping.. shame on you

I once skipped a Blackberry across Lake Ponchatrain (that's just north and east of New Orleans in case you didn't know).  I got seven bounces....

try harder mate,should be doing better than this  doh!

My bad, it's spelt "Pontchartrain" - it'ss the big bit of water Interstate 10 crosses on trstel bridges on the way into Mississippi (best avoided).

Idea: maybe we could get WHF to do a mini-test - Blackberries vs. Samsug Galaxies vs. iphones vs. Motorola Driods - see which one gets the most bounces Smile

fergi's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Mar 2013
Posts: 4
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

Cables, plugs, mains, all make a BIG difference to the sound. Just finnished latest mod to mains wall sockets replaced a switched for a non swiched (MK brand sound best without going into expensive silver or gold ones ) sheilded power cables, removed fuses replaced with soldered fuse wire, any time you can replace a mechanical joint with a soldered one ( skills required ) not to electrify yourself, all drop the noise floor, removed spade terminals from inside speaker connections and soldered direct ( made a massive diference to my 21 Mk2's QUAD take note ) all make their contribution to improving the sound. And use at least a Tachima power extension, to finnish off.

Marantz Pm7001 ki amp, Sa7001ki cd player, Quad 21Mk2's speakers, Beresford Camen Dac, Qed reference interconnects and speaker cable.

__________________

fergi's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Mar 2013
Posts: 4
RE: Is it the Cables or isit the plugs?

Cables, plugs, mains, all make a BIG difference to the sound. Just finnished latest mod to mains wall sockets replaced a switched for a non swiched (MK brand sound best without going into expensive silver or gold ones ) sheilded power cables, removed fuses replaced with soldered fuse wire, any time you can replace a mechanical joint with a soldered one ( skills required ) not to electrify yourself, all drop the noise floor, removed spade terminals from inside speaker connections and soldered direct ( made a massive diference to my 21 Mk2's QUAD take note ) all make their contribution to improving the sound. And use at least a Tachima power extension, to finnish off.

Marantz Pm7001 ki amp, Sa7001ki cd player, Quad 21Mk2's speakers, Beresford Camen Dac, Qed reference interconnects and speaker cable.

__________________