Have your say & ask the experts!

I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

106 replies [Last post]
womble72's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2012
Posts: 71

I'm loving my Marantz M-CR603 - Totem Dreamcatcher set up. I now need to find some affordable speaker cables to replace the 10 year old LTS High Performance Flat-1 cable that I having been using as they are too short and quite bulky with them being flat. I need two 5 metre lengths and have a budget of £5pm. I have a Richer Sounds and a Maplins close by but I thought I would ask on here first as to what cable would help continue my love for this little system I have put together :-D 

 

gasolin's picture
Online
Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 251
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

Audioquest FLX SLiP 14/4

__________________

Presonus 22vsl soundcard, Tc electronic level pilot and Krk Rokit Powered 5 G3 with isoacoustics stands

BigH's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

As you have a Maplins near you, you can get Van Damme Blue for about £3.25pm, that has quite a few fans on here, better than more expensive cables.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 9010
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

You'll get some 400 or 500 strand OFC copper cable off some of the dealers on Amazon or Ebay for cheap as chips prices.  I bought 10m of 322-strand a couple of years back and it replaced far more expensive Audioquest Type IV.  Digitalis Direct are very good but there's plenty of others to choose from. You'll probably pay no more than £15 all in.

__________________

 

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3120
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

Buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speaker-Cable-10Mx-801-888-OFC-521-Strand-4mm-...

It's all you'll ever need. Ask a recording-engineer, producer or mastering-engineer if spending stupid amounts of money on speaker-cable improves the sound and he'll laugh at you. 

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

DIB
DIB's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 1981
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

BigH wrote:

As you have a Maplins near you, you can get Van Damme Blue for about £3.25pm, that has quite a few fans on here, better than more expensive cables.

 

Thats what I use, the 2.5mm variety.

 

I've also got some of the 50p/60p per metre stuff mentioned by the Record Spot which is perfectly acceptable too, but I use the Van Damme because the colour matches my carpet.

 

 

.

__________________

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Sequel 40 phonostage -  Creek Evolution 2 CDP - Squeezebox Touch 

Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Classic Acryl with 2M Blue

Epos Elan 30s - Van Damme SC & Epiphany Atratus ICs

bluedroog's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Mar 2010
Posts: 387
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

Van Damme blue, the 4mm I reckon. Studio grade, sensibly priced.

richardw42's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 May 2010
Posts: 1765
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

DIB wrote:

 

, but I use the Van Damme because the colour matches my carpet.

 

 

.

 

this should be cut and paste into every cable thread Smile

__________________

TV room : Samsung 60" plasma-ATV3, -AVI ADM40, DM5 in 4.0,/Sonos ZP90,, Sky using Sonos for On Demand, PS4, Sony BDP S570 thru a Yamaha RXV3067. 

HiFi : Sonos ZP90 - AVI ADM9 RSS + AVI SUB

Bedrooms : 2 x Sonos Play 3

IPad Air for Sonos & Spotify / AKG K551

156
156's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 6
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)
__________________

Mew.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1864
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

I have said it before, these cheap cables are excelent value for money but they are 'directional' . . . be sure to mark the end if it does not have writing on it.  Dont fall into the trap of folding in half, cut and then put the 'two' cut ends together!   Thats what usualy happens, you can swap the pair end to end all day, they wont sound different.

CJSF

 

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 569
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

CJSF wrote:

I have said it before, these cheap cables are excelent value for money but they are 'directional' . . . be sure to mark the end if it does not have writing on it.  Dont fall into the trap of folding in half, cut and then put the 'two' cut ends together!   Thats what usualy happens, you can swap the pair end to end all day, they wont sound different.

CJSF

 

I am afraid your post isn't clear, but are you suggesting it matters which end of the speaker cable you connect to the amplifier?

__________________

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 569
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

the record spot wrote:

You'll get some 400 or 500 strand OFC copper cable off some of the dealers on Amazon or Ebay for cheap as chips prices.  I bought 10m of 322-strand a couple of years back and it replaced far more expensive Audioquest Type IV.  Digitalis Direct are very good but there's plenty of others to choose from. You'll probably pay no more than £15 all in.

The number of strands in a cable is irrelevant. It is the total cross sectional area 'CSA' of the conductors that matters.

Aim for a CSA of at least 2.5mm^2. 

More strands make for a more flexible cable, but there are arguments that a solid conductor works best. 2.5mm^2 mains twin and earth is very cheap, and can be used to good effect.

__________________

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 569
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

bluedroog wrote:

Van Damme blue, the 4mm I reckon. Studio grade, sensibly priced.

Nothing wrong with Van Damme, but it has an overall sheath which if the OP is worried about bulky cables, isn't going to help.

To be honest, unless you are going to drag the cable around a lot, or pull it though conduit, I dont see the point of having the blue cover. A 'shotgun' side by side cable takes up much less space for the same conductor size.

__________________

BigH's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3300
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

andyjm wrote:

bluedroog wrote:

Van Damme blue, the 4mm I reckon. Studio grade, sensibly priced.

Nothing wrong with Van Damme, but it has an overall sheath which if the OP is worried about bulky cables, isn't going to help.

To be honest, unless you are going to drag the cable around a lot, or pull it though conduit, I dont see the point of having the blue cover. A 'shotgun' side by side cable takes up much less space for the same conductor size.

Well you get the Van Damme OFC then it is about £5pm.

CJSF's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 1864
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

andyjm wrote:

CJSF wrote:

I have said it before, these cheap cables are excelent value for money but they are 'directional' . . . be sure to mark the end if it does not have writing on it.  Dont fall into the trap of folding in half, cut and then put the 'two' cut ends together!   Thats what usualy happens, you can swap the pair end to end all day, they wont sound different.

CJSF

 

I am afraid your post isn't clear, but are you suggesting it matters which end of the speaker cable you connect to the amplifier?

 

Sorry andyjm, in a word 'yes'.  Many will disagree but I have done the direction test many times on all sorts of cables over a 30 year period, I still get the same negative/positive results now as I did in 1980.

What I am saying is, both cables should have a positive end (for identification only), the positive end is the end that came off the reel, the negative end is the end that is cut at the reel, leaving a new positive end at the reel, ie, there is only one direction of flow, 'reel to positive end'.

Some cables have symbols and writing on, this writing should read in the same direction on both cables.

The most recent test I have done is with 'Linn K20' cable (£5pm) and 'OF 521' strand (£3pm).  The 521 strand had a distinct 'tiz' to the high frequancy end of the sound spectrum in one direction, turn it over (both cables end for end), and it improved dramaticaly.  The K20 is not too bad in either direction but we do have a preferance with the writing reading away from the speaker.  The K20 is my preferd speaker cable and has been for 30 years, I run 8m from amp to speakers, these days using a low powered valve amp runnig in triode mode.

CJSF

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15342
RE: I need longer speaker cable (budget £5 pm max)

The current rapidly alternates in both directions (on both conductors) at the frequency of the signal (AC) so how can there be a 'correct direction' for the cable?

If this is wrong, please explain how it is wrong.

Wouldn't a DC - direct current - signal in one direction from amp to speaker (and then back to the amp along the other conductor) actually cause stuff to melt or explode? (Let alone result in no vibration of the speaker cones.)

Maybe this idea of alternating current is not acceptable to audiophile cable consumers because it opposes their mental model of music 'flowing' smoothly from amp to speakers with the assistance of arrows to direct it on it's way.

It's not a 'stream' or a 'river' or a one-way road. It's a two-lane road where all the 'vehicles' on both lanes are being yanked backwards and forwards thousands of times a second at velocities - but not distances - of many tens of thousands of miles per second. The 'vehicles' don't flow. On average they never go anywhere. (Like you wouldn't actually go anywhere more than a few inches in either direction if you were rapidly shaken backwards and forwards.)

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390