Have your say & ask the experts!

Ho do you run in a new separates system

28 replies [Last post]
shep1968's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 259

I've just bought some new Naim kit and it says it takes a long time to run in. How would you propose that i do this and how long will it take? Should i simply leave it switched on all day or do i need to play a CD for seven or eight hours at a time?

__________________

Naim CD5si

Naim Nait 5si Amp

Kudos X2 speakers

QED cable 

Apple AE

busb's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jun 2011
Posts: 920
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

It depends. Many speaker's drivers need music at low to medium volume to loosen up the suspension that may take 100hrs whereas some electronics only needs to be left on continuously for a week. Many will leave a CD on repeat. Some will advise just to use the equipment as you would normally. Improvements are usually fairly subtle. Other's claim that running in anything but speakers is unnecessary.

 

__________________

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true."

James Branch Cabell

 

_________________________________________________________

MAIN: Apple TV2, Mac Mini (controlled from various iThings using Remote), CA Azur 751BD & Panasonic P42V20B into audiolab M-DAC, feeding a Primare A34.2 class D power amp via XLRs, 2x 5m of Atlas Ascent 2 firing up Totem Arros. DALI Kubik Free in my kitchen

ON THE HOOF: iPhone 5S/Sennheiser MM450.

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 3567
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

shep1968 wrote:

I've just bought some new Naim kit and it says it takes a long time to run in. How would you propose that i do this and how long will it take? Should i simply leave it switched on all day or do i need to play a CD for seven or eight hours at a time?

There are four important steps to running in.

 

1. Switch on hifi.

2. Play music.

3. Enjoy music.

4. Stop worrying about running in. Smile

__________________

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Posts: 1668
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

steve_1979 wrote:

shep1968 wrote:

I've just bought some new Naim kit and it says it takes a long time to run in. How would you propose that i do this and how long will it take? Should i simply leave it switched on all day or do i need to play a CD for seven or eight hours at a time?

There are four important steps to running in.

 

1. Switch on hifi.

2. Play music.

3. Enjoy music.

4. Stop worrying about running in. Smile

+ living it ON 24/7... excellent!

OneBoxSystem's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 392
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

And I quote:

"Running in is a myth propogated by the expensive 'hifi' manufacturers so a. you get used to the sound and b. you can't return it via distance selling."

Speakers? Maybe. Solid state equipment? Nope.

Alec's picture
Online
Joined: 8 Oct 2007
Posts: 5896
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

Just kick back and listen.

__________________

Formerly known as al7478...

HC: Panasonic PXP 42 V20; Panasonic DMP BD35; Humax Foxsat-HDR

Music: Optical out from Asus P7H55-M Motherboard into AVI ADM 9.1 speakers.

"Music will provide the light you cannot resist"

the record spot's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 9024
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

steve_1979 wrote:

shep1968 wrote:

I've just bought some new Naim kit and it says it takes a long time to run in. How would you propose that i do this and how long will it take? Should i simply leave it switched on all day or do i need to play a CD for seven or eight hours at a time?

There are four important steps to running in.

 

1. Switch on hifi.

2. Play music.

3. Enjoy music.

4. Stop worrying about running in. Smile

 

Not too sure about that Steve.  Current experience suggests that when something's not right audibly, it needs looking at.  In my case, I needed to shift the speaker positioning to combat the UD7007's neutral and somewhat bass light presentation.  Now I can play and enjoy the music.  But sometimes it takes a little work...

__________________

 

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1536
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

Q: how do you run in a hifi separates system?

A: through the back door so the neighbours don't notice.

(I got that one in a Christmas cracker.)

 

 

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1536
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

Equally unfunny duplicate

 

davedotco's picture
Online
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Posts: 2397
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

Running in electronics is a nonsense, just a device to get the owner to take a little time to adjust to the new sound or presentation. 

Optimum temperature is a different issue, the measured characteristics of individual components (transistors, capacitors etc) will vary with temperature and competent design will take this into account. Most pieces of hi-fi equipment sound better at thier optimum temperature, in the case of high current devices such as power amplifiers, they reach this temperature quite quickly, low current devices such as dacs or pre-amps may take a lot longer to come up to temperature and may work best if left permanently powered up.

Speakers are different, they are mechanical devices and surrounds, spiders etc, may be a little stiff when new. Some usage will soften them and once again competent designers will have taken this into account, they will sound better after some use, how much use in impossible to say, but more than a week or so of normal use strikes me as excessive.

__________________

We do so many shows in a row,

And these towns all look the same,

We just pass the time in our hotel room

And wander 'round backstage,

Till the lights come up, and we hear that crowd,

And we remember why we came.

Jackson Browne

andyjm's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 576
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

davedotco wrote:

Running in electronics is a nonsense, just a device to get the owner to take a little time to adjust to the new sound or presentation. 

Optimum temperature is a different issue, the measured characteristics of individual components (transistors, capacitors etc) will vary with temperature and competent design will take this into account. Most pieces of hi-fi equipment sound better at thier optimum temperature, in the case of high current devices such as power amplifiers, they reach this temperature quite quickly, low current devices such as dacs or pre-amps may take a lot longer to come up to temperature and may work best if left permanently powered up.

Speakers are different, they are mechanical devices and surrounds, spiders etc, may be a little stiff when new. Some usage will soften them and once again competent designers will have taken this into account, they will sound better after some use, how much use in impossible to say, but more than a week or so of normal use strikes me as excessive.

Dave explains it very well - I agree with all his points.

I have searched the web for some justification of Naim's position on running electronics in, as well as their 'directional speaker cables' claims. I have been unable to find any justification from them for either position. You would have though that if they had solid reasons for this that they would explain them.  

__________________

Johnno2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Feb 2009
Posts: 303
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

Only thing I havereally noticed run in / break in is on a AT95E moving magnet cartridge, the cantiliver must loosen up and the tip gets a little polished well thats my take on it ,

I 'think' I have noticed it on speakers,  But never on amps and CD players  

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12616
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

Johnno2 wrote:
Only thing I havereally noticed run in / break in is on a AT95E moving magnet cartridge, the cantiliver must loosen up and the tip gets a little polished well thats my take on it ,

You might be right about the cantilever but a diamond being polished by vinyl?

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12616
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

davedotco wrote:
Speakers are different, they are mechanical devices and surrounds, spiders etc, may be a little stiff when new. Some usage will soften them and once again competent designers will have taken this into account, they will sound better after some use, how much use in impossible to say, but more than a week or so of normal use strikes me as excessive.

I'm sure last time this topic came up someone posted a link to a survey of speaker manufacturers asking them their thoughts on this matter, I believe, with one noticable exception, they all pretty much agreed that whilst speakers do need breaking in, it actually occurs in the factory during testing as it takes in the region of 10 seconds or so.

John Duncan's picture
Online
Joined: 8 Jan 2008
Posts: 22613
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

PMC recommend fifteen hours in the manual.

__________________

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

Johnno2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Feb 2009
Posts: 303
RE: Ho do you run in a new separates system

The_Lhc wrote:

Johnno2 wrote:
Only thing I havereally noticed run in / break in is on a AT95E moving magnet cartridge, the cantiliver must loosen up and the tip gets a little polished well thats my take on it ,

You might be right about the cantilever but a diamond being polished by vinyl?

but the diamond tip does wear eventually ?

 

along with the records ohhh sure