111 posts / 0 new
Last post
BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

yes you can, in "Roadhouses & Automobils" theres crickets in the begining and the end of the music! 

For me is a must have album!

:cheers:

 

Apparently they are all the way through but only some systems will reveal it.

 

Do you have the album on cd or LP?

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1173
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

DocG wrote:

BigH wrote:

He is on Spotify but not that album. 

Here are some samples:  http://www.elusivedisc.com/CHRIS-JONES-ROADHOUSES-AUTOMOBILES-CD/productinfo/SFCD6027/

Its on Amazon for about £13.

Cheers, BigH. The samples do give an impression of the style, and of the quality of the record. I like!

Gonna try Amazon! :cheers:

I found the CD on Hot Shot Records (Germany), for 15 EUR + shipping. Ordered already, together with Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live CD (still didn't have that one, can you believe it?) for 9.99. Thanks again, guys! Um, and now back to work  :shhh:

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

BigH wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

yes you can, in "Roadhouses & Automobils" theres crickets in the begining and the end of the music! 

For me is a must have album!

:cheers:

 

Apparently they are all the way through but only some systems will reveal it.

 

Do you have the album on cd or LP?

now that you mention it, in fact they are all the way through, but in the parts that the music over right it you can ear them.

my copy is on CD, no vinyl edition of this album.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

my copy is on CD, no vinyl edition of this album.

 

Not sure about that did see 2 for sale as LPs.

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

davedotco wrote:

Alt country is the 'new' outlaw country but really it doesn't much matter what you call it. It's not difficult to tell good music from bad if you use your own criteria.

For example I consider good bar room rock and roll to be one of mankind's greatest achievements but I know that is a very personal view.

I like artists that bring 'something' to the music, can be anything really so for example I really love Muse, who shamelessly rip off everyone under the sun yet somehow make it all their own. In contrast I have no time for Alison Krause or Mary Chapin Carpenter invariably beautifully played and sung but to me quite pointless.

Then again I rather like Dido, so there is no logic to it at all.

 

Not sure what you mean by "good bar room rock and roll", do you mean pub rock? Any bands you could name? 

I think I know what you mean about Krauss/Carpenter some of their stuff does not move me either but I enjoy some albums of theirs, sure there is more challenging/emotional stuff out there but I don't want to play that all the time. I don't mind a bit of Dido either. 

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3988
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

BigH wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Alt country is the 'new' outlaw country but really it doesn't much matter what you call it. It's not difficult to tell good music from bad if you use your own criteria.

For example I consider good bar room rock and roll to be one of mankind's greatest achievements but I know that is a very personal view.

I like artists that bring 'something' to the music, can be anything really so for example I really love Muse, who shamelessly rip off everyone under the sun yet somehow make it all their own. In contrast I have no time for Alison Krause or Mary Chapin Carpenter invariably beautifully played and sung but to me quite pointless.

Then again I rather like Dido, so there is no logic to it at all.

 

Not sure what you mean by "good bar room rock and roll", do you mean pub rock? Any bands you could name? 

I think I know what you mean about Krauss/Carpenter some of their stuff does not move me either but I enjoy some albums of theirs, sure there is more challenging/emotional stuff out there but I don't want to play that all the time. I don't mind a bit of Dido either. 

Bar room rock and roll is simply good time music to be enjoyed on your feet with a beer in one hand and a woman in the other.

The size of the venue is irrelevant as is the musical style, well almost. I used to spend a lot of time in the US and they do this brilliantly, live music from an often unknown local band, minimal or zero cover, just a band and an audience determined to have good time.

See this on occasion in the UK but much rarer, audiences are 'cooler' and the bands more serious, different scene altogether.

Pub Rock is a quite specific 'sub set' of this kind of music that was popular in the U K in the mid 70s, it included hard line R & B from the likes of Dr Feelgood, and more unusual styles like Hatfield and the North Kilburn and the High roads and the rest. It was completely blown away by punk in 76-77, which itself in it's original state was probably some of the best 'bar room' music ever seen in the UK.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2234
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

davedotco wrote:

Bar room rock and roll is simply good time music to be enjoyed on your feet with a beer in one hand and a woman in the other.

Steve van Zandt has described the E-Street Band as a 'glorified bar band'. And at a concert once -- I forget where -- Springsteen described them as 'the best bar band in the world'.

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

BigH wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

my copy is on CD, no vinyl edition of this album.

 

Not sure about that did see 2 for sale as LPs.

There is no mention in the net about Roudhouses and Automobiles in vinyl, but please if you find any reference of this record being printed in vinyl advise me, and if you find a copy for sale I will buy it!! 

 

:cheers:

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3988
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

matt49 wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Bar room rock and roll is simply good time music to be enjoyed on your feet with a beer in one hand and a woman in the other.

Steve van Zandt has described the E-Street Band as a 'glorified bar band'. And at a concert once -- I forget where -- Springsteen described them as 'the best bar band in the world'.

Exactly, though I might take issue with the word 'glorified' if I was being picky.

Back in 77 I was at the Rainbow concerts (2 nights) that became the highly acclaimed Waiting for Columbus album. 

Little Feet were tremendous on both occasions and almost the entire audience were on their feet throughout, another fine example of a bar room band transcending the venue.

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

matt49 wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Bar room rock and roll is simply good time music to be enjoyed on your feet with a beer in one hand and a woman in the other.

Steve van Zandt has described the E-Street Band as a 'glorified bar band'. And at a concert once -- I forget where -- Springsteen described them as 'the best bar band in the world'.

Thanks for explaining Davedotco. Yes I agree its something that is lacking in the UK, although there are still pubs that have bands. I guess McCabe's is the sort of place you are referring to, check out Shelby Lynne Live at McCabe's, would love this set up over here. The problem is in the UK most of the fairly well know musicians don't play small venues.

Graham Parker and the Rumour were described as pub rock although I don't think they ever did play pubs, Bruce Springsteen was a fan also, there was a good program on BBC4 a few months ago about GP, did have Bruce on there as well. GP and the Rumour were an excellent live band.

 

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

BigH wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

my copy is on CD, no vinyl edition of this album.

 

Not sure about that did see 2 for sale as LPs.

There is no mention in the net about Roudhouses and Automobiles in vinyl, but please if you find any reference of this record being printed in vinyl advise me, and if you find a copy for sale I will buy it!! 

:cheers:

 

I just did a google search and here is one:  http://www.musicstack.com/album/chris+jones/roadhouses+and+automobiles

I did find another yesterday but can't find it now but it was about £31.

 

Here it is:  http://www.vinylsearcher.com/records/35442576/chris-jones-18/roadhouses-automobiles.aspx

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16448
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Bar music? George Thorogood & The Destroyers has to be on the list surely.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

chebby wrote:

Bar music? George Thorogood & The Destroyers has to be on the list surely.

 

How about Ace?

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

BigH wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

BigH wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

my copy is on CD, no vinyl edition of this album.

 

Not sure about that did see 2 for sale as LPs.

There is no mention in the net about Roudhouses and Automobiles in vinyl, but please if you find any reference of this record being printed in vinyl advise me, and if you find a copy for sale I will buy it!! 

:cheers:

 

I just did a google search and here is one:  http://www.musicstack.com/album/chris+jones/roadhouses+and+automobiles

I did find another yesterday but can't find it now but it was about £31.

 

Here it is:  http://www.vinylsearcher.com/records/35442576/chris-jones-18/roadhouses-automobiles.aspx

ok, thanks! 

But the first link is a CD item! 

The second link it takes to a vinyl item of this record, it's strange because there is no mention of this record being produced in vinyl in the the producer site STOCKFISCH RECORDS. 

But thanks just the same!

 

:cheers:

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3856
RE: Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

The first link has 2 cds and then 3rd down a LP.

 

Are some LPs being produced by specialist labels rather than the original label?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments