Have your say & ask the experts!

HELP!!! Choosing a suitable speaker with a budget of USD$800-$1200

54 replies [Last post]
Chaloff's picture
RE: HELP!!! Choosing a suitable speaker

And still, Raymond, do you like to listen to music quite loud or not? I think it'll help to advise.

Please also mind that when one listens to a hi-fi set-up it seems that the sound is not that loud. This is because of the clarity of music. And you will want to turn the volume up.

1) Oppo BDP-105 - NAD 356 BEE - B&W CM1

2) Onkyo CR-N755 - Q Acoustics 2010i

the record spot's picture
RE: HELP!!! Choosing a suitable speaker with a

rayteyj wrote:

the record spot wrote:

Just to point out that one bad experience with one manufacturer's goods doesn't define the sector.  There are more options outwith AVI (or Naim in another thread) to choose from and active speakers are a good consideration in general. Many good models to choose from.

Got it. Smile would you recommend any good active speakers that fits my reqirements? Smile

Thanks

Best Regards

Raymond

Tha probably depends on what brands your local pro-audio retailers have in stock.  I am thinking Genelec, Adam, Mackie and Yamaha.  Dynaudio and Tannoy are two others to look out for too.  

Speaking of Tannoy, and given your room size, do check out the DC6 or Precision 6.1 speakers.  I have my DC4 in a confined space and they were incredibly well.  Check them out.  They give you positioning and scale that is very impressive given their dimensions.  I imagine the DC6 and the 6.1 will share the same characteristics.

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

richardw42's picture

Just to say. I use active speakers and listen to a lot of rock and metal, including thrash, industrial. 

TV room : Samsung 60" plasma-ATV3, -AVI ADM40, DM5 in 4.0,/Sonos ZP90,, Sky using Sonos for On Demand, PS4, Sony BDP S570 thru a Yamaha RXV3067. 

HiFi : Sonos ZP90 - AVI ADM9 RSS + AVI SUB

Bedrooms : 2 x Sonos Play 3

IPad Air for Sonos & Spotify / AKG K551

rayteyj's picture

Chaloff wrote:

And still, Raymond, do you like to listen to music quite loud or not? I think it'll help to advise.

Please also mind that when one listens to a hi-fi set-up it seems that the sound is not that loud. This is because of the clarity of music. And you will want to turn the volume up.

Erm..I dont blast my music as I'm afraid of disturbing my family haha..around the middle I'd say.

Thanks!

rayteyj's picture

richardw42 wrote:

Just to say. I use active speakers and listen to a lot of rock and metal, including thrash, industrial. 

I see..what's your take on them then? How does it sound?

BigH's picture
RE: HELP!!! Choosing a suitable speaker with a budget of

I heard the Tannoy 6.1, I liked them but felt they were pleasant and easy listening not sure they were really for rock. Also think they would be out of his price range as £900 here. I did actual hear them just after some active speakers and they were a bit lacking in clarity and attack.

Chaloff's picture

richardw42 wrote:

Do you say about this: http://www.thedigitalmusicexperts.com/TDME/AVI-d_ADM9RSS.html or this: http://www.avihifi.eu/ADM40/en 

>)

rayteyj's picture

Hey guys!

Thanks lot for helping! as you can see I'm a newbie and I'm slowly learning. Keep the ideas coming if anyone has anymore suggestions!

I'll probably audition the KEF100/300 and MAs. Any amps to go with these speakers?

Best Regards

Raymond

richardw42's picture

I'm not recommending them by the way Smile. The OPs in Singapore so m guessing a demo would be difficult. Although I'm pretty sure there's at least one ADM40 owner there. 

I just wanted to say that I've found them exactly what I wanted, and I'm sure other actives deliver with a large variety of music. 

Your experience might be of certain makes/models not reflective of the technology as a whole. 

TV room : Samsung 60" plasma-ATV3, -AVI ADM40, DM5 in 4.0,/Sonos ZP90,, Sky using Sonos for On Demand, PS4, Sony BDP S570 thru a Yamaha RXV3067. 

HiFi : Sonos ZP90 - AVI ADM9 RSS + AVI SUB

Bedrooms : 2 x Sonos Play 3

IPad Air for Sonos & Spotify / AKG K551

Chaloff's picture

rayteyj wrote:

Hey guys!

Thanks lot for helping! as you can see I'm a newbie and I'm slowly learning. Keep the ideas coming if anyone has anymore suggestions!

I'll probably audition the KEF100/300 and MAs. Any amps to go with these speakers?

Best Regards

Raymond

I would advise B&W 686 and Dynaudio DM2/6. They are of similar price range with Kef Q100.

Chaloff's picture

richardw42 wrote:

I'm not recommending them by the way Smile.

Ufffff. Now I got calm! Smile

BigH's picture

rayteyj wrote:

Hey guys!

Best Regards

Raymond

You could start with Rega Brio R, Arcam A19, Creek 50A, Marantz Pearl Lite, if those are too expensive then you could try Marantz 6004, also some Denons,  Rotels and Yahama get good reviews, some like the Pioneer A50. Not sure what you can hear in Singapore.

Can you get Q Acoustic speakers in Singapore?

You could try the KEF X300A, these are the active version of the Q300.

BigH's picture

Chaloff wrote:

richardw42 wrote:

Do you say about this: http://www.thedigitalmusicexperts.com/TDME/AVI-d_ADM9RSS.html or this: http://www.avihifi.eu/ADM40/en 

>)

He has both as you can see in his signature.

Chaloff's picture

BigH wrote:

Chaloff wrote:

richardw42 wrote:

>)

He has both as you can see in his signature.

Smile Yes, I know. I took the models from his signature and then searched the web. I thought Richard had advised Raymond one of them Smile. Then he clarified he had not Smile

Chaloff's picture

rayteyj wrote:

Hey guys!

Best Regards

Raymond

Onkyo A-9030, NAD C326BEE, Marantz PM5004, Yamaha A-S500, Denon PMA-520AE, Pioneer A-30.

There are also lower models within some of these lines. E.g. Yamaha A-S300 or NAD C316BEE or Pioneer A-10 / 20. I would not recommend them.

Have a good luck!