Have your say & ask the experts!

Good quality RCA to RCA switch box (4 inputs to 1 output) needed

8 replies [Last post]
jaburmester's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Jan 2013
Posts: 9

Hi all,

Anybody know of a good quality RCA to RCA switch box (4 inputs to 1 output) ?

Amplifier has only one input and I would like to connect more that one device.

I do not need any AV connection as box will only be used for sound.

Thank you for all info given.

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 1134
RE:

why don't you consider a passive preamp?

if you want the best of the lot then there's no better than transformer volume control type of pre. and yes, they are even better than all but the really best active preamps. something like Townshend Audioo:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/allegri/

or Music First Classic Pre

http://www.mfaudio.co.uk/classic.htm

transformer based preamps are relatively so you could go for (much) cheaper option (but technically not as beneficial) of "a pot in a box" kind of pre. Like this one from Icon Audio:

http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/passive-passive-pre-amp/

in this case you'll only need a power amp on the other side of the box.

 

__________________

Giro, InTheGroove, Digit, ClassicOne, MG12

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15393
RE: Good quality RCA to RCA switch box

jaburmester wrote:

Hi all,

Anybody know of a good quality RCA to RCA switch box (4 inputs to 1 output) ?

Amplifier has only one input and I would like to connect more that one device.

I do not need any AV connection as box will only be used for sound.

Thank you for all info given.

Beresford TC-7240

£59.99 + VAT direct from their online shop,

Picture of the back.

No power required. Switching only. Stereo only. No pre-amp built in.

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

pauln's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 439
RE: RE: RE:

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

why don't you consider a passive preamp?

if you want the best of the lot then there's no better than transformer volume control type of pre. and yes, they are even better than all but the really best active preamps. something like Townshend Audioo:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/allegri/

or Music First Classic Pre

http://www.mfaudio.co.uk/classic.htm

transformer based preamps are relatively so you could go for (much) cheaper option (but technically not as beneficial) of "a pot in a box" kind of pre. Like this one from Icon Audio:

http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/passive-passive-pre-amp/

in this case you'll only need a power amp on the other side of the box.

 

banging head against wall I just don't get how some people can think that someone who wants a simple switch would spend almost £2k on a high end passive pre-amp? This attitude is way too prevalent on this forum. IMHO.

__________________

On the road: HP Elitebook 8540w, Sennheiser HD650, Bose Computer Mini Monitors.

Home: Denon DBP-2010, Humax, Panasonic Plasma, Monitor Audio ASB-2, AKG K240 Studio, Audio-GD NFB 12, Audio Pro Addon T8 active monitors, definitely no fancy cables.

oldric_naubhoff's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Mar 2011
Posts: 1134
RE: RE: RE:

pauln wrote:

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

why don't you consider a passive preamp?

if you want the best of the lot then there's no better than transformer volume control type of pre. and yes, they are even better than all but the really best active preamps. something like Townshend Audioo:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/allegri/

or Music First Classic Pre

http://www.mfaudio.co.uk/classic.htm

transformer based preamps are relatively so you could go for (much) cheaper option (but technically not as beneficial) of "a pot in a box" kind of pre. Like this one from Icon Audio:

http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/passive-passive-pre-amp/

in this case you'll only need a power amp on the other side of the box.

 

banging head against wall I just don't get how some people can think that someone who wants a simple switch would spend almost £2k on a high end passive pre-amp? This attitude is way too prevalent on this forum. IMHO.

you're right. I got carried away. my suggestion would have been more in place if someone was looking after ca. 2000 GBP pre.

@ OP don't mind my ramblings.

__________________

Giro, InTheGroove, Digit, ClassicOne, MG12

zarathz's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Good quality RCA to RCA switch box (4 inputs to 1 output)

Go on eBay, and use search terms "rca switch -video" and you get a host of options, some expensive, and some super-cheap.  

This one seems to me like a good compromise:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-1-4x1-RCA-STEREO-ANALOG-RL-AUDIO-SWITCH-SWITHER...

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12624
RE: RE: RE:

pauln wrote:

oldric_naubhoff wrote:

why don't you consider a passive preamp?

if you want the best of the lot then there's no better than transformer volume control type of pre. and yes, they are even better than all but the really best active preamps. something like Townshend Audioo:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/allegri/

or Music First Classic Pre

http://www.mfaudio.co.uk/classic.htm

transformer based preamps are relatively so you could go for (much) cheaper option (but technically not as beneficial) of "a pot in a box" kind of pre. Like this one from Icon Audio:

http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/passive-passive-pre-amp/

in this case you'll only need a power amp on the other side of the box.

 

banging head against wall I just don't get how some people can think that someone who wants a simple switch would spend almost £2k on a high end passive pre-amp? This attitude is way too prevalent on this forum. IMHO.

To be fair though, the OP has given NO indication of the budget he's considering and no idea of what the rest of his kit is. The only thing we have to go on is the term "good quality", which is probably a label you can apply quite easily to both of OldRic's suggestions.

If people stopped asking such vague questions they might get more appropriate answers.

markbbailey's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jun 2012
Posts: 10
RE: Low budget option

If you're not too bothered about hifi quality then Maplin do one for about £10:

 

http://www.maplin.co.uk/four-way-stereo-audio-switch-box-9328

 

Cheers, Mark

__________________

Custom installer of AV, IT, lighting, security and home automation.

Reggie Mental's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 57
RE: Low budget option

All switching boxes are hifi quality. The only difference is looks and build. Switching doesn't cause losses that reduce fidelity. The Maplin one will work just as well as any other switch box.