117 posts / 0 new
Last post
dimedrol's picture
RE: Entry level amps aren't capable to drive Proac Studio 110

Dave, I am still in process of auditioning but I would not say the increase in the bass made overall sound be less accurate. At least not to my taste. This amp is no worse than the Rotel, from what I heard during the day, plus it tries with certain degree of success to fill the gap in the low end. Which is plain to me due to its 2 times more powerful design. And... I don't really kean on buying a third amp )

David@FrankHarvey's picture

Don't get drawn in by power ratings. A power rating won't tell you if an amplifier can control the bass of a speaker.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

dimedrol's picture

Was reading bi-wiring topics on the avsforum and what a funny reading it was. Even though, will prolly pick up few meters of a cable occasionally to try myself. I am rather sceptic about it, but thats not the biggest expense anyway

dimedrol's picture

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Don't get drawn in by power ratings. A power rating won't tell you if an amplifier can control the bass of a speaker.

I am happy it was capable of squeezing at least some bass of the wooden boxes. Thanks God! What more to desire for a modest audiophile.

Remiding you that the bass response I got is still not sufficient to my taste, still overall less then what my Adam active monitors can do.

dimedrol's picture

dimedrol wrote:

The bass increased to what I would estimate as 50% of what I would expect

, means it is half way to normal )
dimedrol's picture

Craig M. wrote:

Big Colz, I recommend you read this.  It was compiled by whf member idc and is very good. http://idc1966.blogspot.co.uk/

what a link. thanks a lot, will definitely dedicate some time for reading

dimedrol's picture

Just tried bi-wired connection to the speakers. Can't say if something has changed but definitely nothing in the balance between highs and bass. I was listening to the Deep Purple's gorgeous Made in Japan CD which on Proacs sounds overly bright, drum cymbals are pushed forward whereas the bass that is forming drive and dynamics is laidback and is somewhere behind the scene. I thought of a bad mastering. Then I went to another room and tried Adams: just a perfect sound it was, it would rock you. Even when the first song Highway star begins on the Adams one can clearly hear hum of the stage, feel presence, which Proacs hijack with their either hyped highs or poor 60-100Hz bass.

I was not expecting a miracle and a miracle did not happen. Thats all.

dimedrol's picture

just out of curiosity I looked into the bass-reflex and noticed that one third of it is covered by foam rubber. Take a look.

proac 110 bass-reflex

I figured thats because of the thickness of the foam rubber, it is 2cm thick and the bass-reflex is very close to the cabinet bottom so it is pressed into the damping material.

dimedrol's picture

I ended up bying floorstanders from German manufacturer, costed me slightly under 3k $. They beat proacs literally  in everything, gosh, they just sound balanced. Tried to switch between the two sets of speakers, proacs just sound compressed in a bad way including those tracks where bass is subtle in the recording (where floorstanders are supposed to have no advantage)

Macspur's picture

dimedrol wrote:

I ended up bying floorstanders from German manufacturer, costed me slightly under 3k $. They beat proacs literally  in everything, gosh, they just sound balanced. Tried to switch between the two sets of speakers, proacs just sound compressed in a bad way including those tracks where bass is subtle in the recording (where floorstanders are supposed to have no advantage)

Good, glad you found a speaker you're happy with, but just one thing... what was the make?

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

dimedrol's picture

Macspur wrote:

Good, glad you found a speaker you're happy with, but just one thing... what was the make?

Mac

I bought Heco Celan, they have a dealer in my town. Not that I was much aware of their loudspeakers before buying, not many posts in english on the internet about them either. I just went to the shop, tried new B&W CMs, Yamaha Soavo 3, Heco sounded most neutral to my ear. After auditioning them at home I am not disappointed. The best description would be: non-fatiguing, very smooth, no harshness as such. May lack aggression in some genres hence, but for acoustic and orchestra - just right. Good vocal rendering too, although for vocals my proacs are good too. Very solid finish, 32 kgs each cabinet. They can deliver deep and strong bass.

Still in process of listening to my recordings, will have a better formed opinion later if someone is interested

Pages