Have your say & ask the experts!

Entry level amps aren't capable to drive Proac Studio 110

114 replies [Last post]
CnoEvil's picture
RE: Entry level amps aren't capable to drive Proac Studio 110

BigColz wrote:

The wide speetspit sounds good too but heard the metallic sound of the uni q can make make voices sound kinda tinny? Obviously can't go on others opinions.. Proof is in pudding tho I guess   beauty, eh

I owned the IQ, have the Reference and am familiar with the XQ......and imo. the R series sound quite different. I think they are a landmark range. I don't think the Q series are anywhere near the same league.

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Electro's picture

BigColz wrote:
Any speakers you recommend around £1k mark? You obviously love your PMC'S do the bookshelves at that price match well? I obviously want a big sound punchy and full in the midrange with a not too bright top end and as much bass as possible (but still controlled)

Yes the smaller PMC's have all the qualities that you are after especially a large sound with much deeper and controlled bass that you would expect from a bookshelf speaker .

This new model from PMC might fit the bill and it is right on budget .

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/pmc-db1-goldspeakersincludes-...

I think that they only come in black but it should be exactly what you are looking for and an unbeatable speaker for the money .

If you prefer a different finish then the DB1i can be had for about £90 more in a range of finishes

Or maybe a pair of second hand TB2i 's which will give more of the same especially bass depth and weight .

Any of these combined with an Electrocompaniet Pi2 or your Cyrus amps should give you all that you want and probably a whole lot more than you could ever imagine , a friend of mine uses a very old Cyrus pre / power  combo with PMCDB1i's and it sounds amazing , such a large sound from a very small system excellent!

The new PMC 20 series may not give you the bass depth and power that you want but are still worth a listen Smile

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

BigColz's picture

Electro wrote:

BigColz wrote:
Any speakers you recommend around £1k mark? You obviously love your PMC'S do the bookshelves at that price match well? I obviously want a big sound punchy and full in the midrange with a not too bright top end and as much bass as possible (but still controlled)

Yes the smaller PMC's have all the qualities that you are after especially a large sound with much deeper and controlled bass that you would expect from a bookshelf speaker .

This new model from PMC might fit the bill and it is right on budget .

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/pmc-db1-goldspeakersincludes-...

I think that they only come in black but it should be exactly what you are looking for and an unbeatable speaker for the money .

If you prefer a different finish then the DB1i can be had for about £90 more in a range of finishes

Or maybe a pair of second hand TB2i 's which will give more of the same especially bass depth and weight .

Any of these combined with an Electrocompaniet Pi2 or your Cyrus amps should give you all that you want and probably a whole lot more than you could ever imagine , a friend of mine uses a very old Cyrus pre / power  combo with PMCDB1i's and it sounds amazing , such a large sound from a very small system excellent!

The new PMC 20 series may not give you the bass depth and power that you want but are still worth a listen Smile

Thanks for the advise Electro. I quite like the look of the black ones.. To be honest the amp impressed me so much I may just sell mine and buy the one in the shop ex dem (£1300) when i take my streamer in for repair start of jan.. I should have around £500 spare to play with so will happily spend that on speakers. I'll see if I can get both those PMCs on dem at that shop and maybe the Kefs.. I'm certain I won't get the sound I want with the Cyrus as much as I appreciate how good it is. The thought of having a 'fit and forget' amp also makes me so happy as the temptation on the forever upgradable Cyrus path would be a hell for me.. Just start to enjoy the music, which is why is what it's all about after all?! party time! rockin out beauty, eh excellent!

Electrocompaniet PI 2 | Naim ND5 XS | Chord Epic | ProAc Studio 115

BigColz's picture

Cno and Electro a couple of (probably stupid) questions.. How would I run a sub off the PI 2 amp? It doesn't look like it has any outputs at all apart from the single speaker terminals.. Also is DIN outout on my Naim streamer a version of balanced and would it be worth connecting to the balanced input or just run normal RCA's? I thought I saw tape out when i looked at the back but I think it might be a nightmare fitting a sub now  doh!

Electro's picture

BigColz wrote:

Cno and Electro a couple of (probably stupid) questions.. How would I run a sub off the PI 2 amp? It doesn't look like it has any outputs at all apart from the single speaker terminals.. Also is DIN outout on my Naim streamer a version of balanced and would it be worth connecting to the balanced input or just run normal RCA's? I thought I saw tape out when i looked at the back but I think it might be a nightmare fitting a sub now  doh!

There are many brands of Naim DIN to XLR interconnects , here is a good one .

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&produ...

And another depending on what type you need .

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380169854536?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceIte...

I am not an expert but I believe most subs can be connected from a high level output /input  using the speaker outputs of the amp , from memory I think this is the best way to connect a sub for music rather than using a low level rca connection but CNO is far more knowledgeable about HT and subs than me . Smile

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

BigColz's picture

Electro wrote:

BigColz wrote:

There are many brands of Naim DIN to XLR interconnects , here is a good one .

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&produ...

And another depending on what type you need .

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/380169854536?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceIte...

I am not an expert but I believe most subs can be connected from a high level output /input  using the speaker outputs of the amp , from memory I think this is the best way to connect a sub for music rather than using a low level rca connection but CNO is far more knowledgeable about HT and subs than me . Smile

Ok cool, cheers Electro. I'm not sure if splitting the signal would affect quality as they only have one set of speaker terminals.. I guess you could just fit spades from the sub then banana plugs from speakers to hold in place? I REALLY want that amp as i've heard it, loved it and fits with my budget perfectly..  rockin out

CnoEvil's picture

Electro wrote:

.... but CNO is far more knowledgeable about HT and subs than me . Smile

Ooooh, reputation can be misleading.

@BC

My amp has a pre-out, so that's how it's connected.

Subs can usually be connected though, as Electro has suggested, but in some ways, I would work towards speakers that don't need one.

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

BigColz's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

Electro wrote:

.... but CNO is far more knowledgeable about HT and subs than me . Smile

Ooooh, reputation can be misleading.

@BC

My amp has a pre-out, so that's how it's connected.

Subs can usually be connected though, as Electro has suggested, but in some ways, I would work towards speakers that don't need one.

I think from what i've experienced/demoed so far that isn't going to happen, certainly not in a room as small as mine, plus I want to have my listening room (when i get it) double as a 2.1 movie room excellent!

I read a few other posts about this and I hope they're right... I could undo the speaker terminals, connect BK XLS200 via the neutrix speakon cable (splits into 3) with spade connectors (1 to each red and one to either black) nip them back up and then plug the speaker cable in like normal.. As the sub cable is only taking the info and not driving anything it SHOULDN'T and apparently doesn't affect sound quality.. I guess it's really no different to if you had the sub plugged into the spare bi-wire sockets as they are all active all the time a signal is going through anyway..  puzzled pray

CnoEvil's picture

BigColz wrote:

I read a few other posts about this and I hope they're right... I could undo the speaker terminals, connect BK XLS200 via the neutrix speakon cable (splits into 3) with spade connectors (1 to each red and one to either black) nip them back up and then plug the speaker cable in like normal.. As the sub cable is only taking the info and not driving anything it SHOULDN'T and apparently doesn't affect sound quality.. I guess it's really no different to if you had the sub plugged into the spare bi-wire sockets as they are all active all the time a signal is going through anyway..  puzzled pray

BK Subs are versatile in the way they can be connected, so you'll be fine....if in doubt, give BK a ring and talk it through.

BigColz's picture

CnoEvil wrote:

BigColz wrote:

BK Subs are versatile in the way they can be connected, so you'll be fine....if in doubt, give BK a ring and talk it through.

Yeah they sure are.. The way I described would def 'work' its just whether or not it would affect the quality going to the speaker, which I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.. I may give them a call anyway for piece of mind.. Any idea's of a good place to post my amp for sale? eBay gave put up there seller fees  Angry

CnoEvil's picture

I don't sell stuff (just let it pile up!! Sad )...but Gumtree and DoneDeal spring to mind.

dimedrol's picture

Did not come back to the topic for a while. A day ago I got Camridge 840a amp for a bargain price. So posting my audition results here. The bass increased to what I would estimate as 50% of what I would expect comparing to the Rotel amp I own. At least now I can sense the bass vibrating through the walls when siting in the next room. The bad thing is that nothing happened to the overly bright mid highs, dominating through the spectrum (7-10kHz). My reference to evaluate tonal balance of  a sound is professional studio monitoring headphones with proper amplification.

Best regards

Dmitry Pavlov

dimedrol wrote:
Did not come back to the topic for a while. A day ago I got Camridge 840a amp for a bargain price. So posting my audition results here. The bass increased to what I would estimate as 50% of what I would expect comparing to the Rotel amp I own. At least now I can sense the bass vibrating through the walls when siting in the next room. The bad thing is that nothing happened to the overly bright mid highs, dominating through the spectrum (7-10kHz). My reference to evaluate tonal balance of  a sound is professional studio monitoring headphones with proper amplification.

If there's that much more bass, my guess is that the CA might not be controlling the bass properly. Plus the fact the mid and treble are still an issue just tells me it is not good enough. Try an Arcam A19.

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

dimedrol's picture

Dave, I am still in process of auditioning but I would not say the increase in the bass made overall sound be less accurate. At least not to my taste. This amp is no worse than the Rotel, from what I heard during the day, plus it tries with certain degree of success to fill the gap in the low end. Which is plain to me due to its 2 times more powerful design. And... I don't really kean on buying a third amp )

Best regards

Dmitry Pavlov

Don't get drawn in by power ratings. A power rating won't tell you if an amplifier can control the bass of a speaker.

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!