18 posts / 0 new
Last post
stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4074
DIY acoustic panels
English

I'm interested in making some acoustic panels for my lounge, a couple behind my speakers and a couple behind me on the back wall. I've looked at B&Q which supply some Rockwell on rolls  but it doesn't seem thick enough?

Also does anybody know where I can get some pattern/colour acoustic material to cover my panels which will keep the missus happy.

I did look at Camira, they have some great material but no indication if it's is acoustic material.

Any help appreciated

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

bob.g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 30/10/2009 - 11:19
Posts: 417
RE: DIY acoustic panels

stevebrock, there's lots of threads here on this topic, with answers to all your questions and more. Suggest you do a search first and then ask if there are any points not covered or which you fon't understand.

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2579
RE: DIY acoustic panels

Yup ! I have enough threads to knit a jumper. Rockwool RW3 or RS60 I would try to google insulation in your area. I used CCF and a mountain of the stuff was £20.

Fabric

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120522711165

Nice cloth and excellent service. Cheap too

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4074
RE: DIY acoustic panels

Yep ok that's all I need the Rockwell type to use thanks

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 38 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1638
RE: DIY acoustic panels

stevebrock wrote:

I did look at Camira, they have some great material but no indication if it's is acoustic material.

Any help appreciated

Contact them, they are very helpful.

The sell Cara and I also know that Lucia is good for this project.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4074
RE: DIY acoustic panels

Whys the best thickness to get? 50mm? I'm going to cover them ad mount them on the walls

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2579
RE: DIY acoustic panels

100mm for walls. 150min corners. 50mm easier to handle and cut than 100mm. More easily available too.Most use a stout frame but my build is lighter using 6mm wooden panel & bolted corner brackwts. Wire used to brace the frame corner to corner.

Dependant on room but I found corner triangles worked the most magic.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

sheggs's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 30/05/2012 - 15:00
Posts: 120
RE: DIY acoustic panels

michael hoy wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

I did look at Camira, they have some great material but no indication if it's is acoustic material.

Any help appreciated

Contact them, they are very helpful.

The sell Cara and I also know that Lucia is good for this project.

 

Both Cara and Lucia are specifically for use with acoustics also

David Shevyn |General Manager | GIK Acoustics Europe

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/10/2010 - 14:58
Posts: 1430
RE: DIY acoustic panels

sheggs wrote:

michael hoy wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

I did look at Camira, they have some great material but no indication if it's is acoustic material.

Any help appreciated

Contact them, they are very helpful.

The sell Cara and I also know that Lucia is good for this project.

 

Both Cara and Lucia are specifically for use with acoustics also

+1 for Camira Cara - excellent stuff for acoustic panels (I made two myself, using 10cm rockwool). 

I found that covering with a "transparent" lining material first (I used that cottony dustcover stuff from B&Q) , made it easier to work with the more expensive Camira fabric over the top (rather than directly on to the rockwool and wood frames). 

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2579
RE: DIY acoustic panels

bob.g wrote:

stevebrock, there's lots of threads here on this topic, with answers to all your questions and more. Suggest you do a search first and then ask if there are any points not covered or which you fon't understand.

All covered ?

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

bluebrazil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 20:18
Posts: 481
RE: DIY acoustic panels

if its a rockwool product your after the rwa45 slab is the acoustic one, its itchy tho and i would use knauf acoustic partition roll instead. the rwa 45 comes in more thicknesses tho while the apr is only 25mm 50mm 75mm and 100mm. both should be available in a good builders merchants or anywhere like ccf as mentioned above.

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4074
RE: DIY acoustic panels

Thanks guys that's plenty of food for thought! 100mm is quite thick not sure the missus is gonna like that, but I need to get some panels to try and get my bass under control. 

Where are the best places for the panels 

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

bluebrazil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 20:18
Posts: 481
RE: DIY acoustic panels

 for behind the speakers and sofa i'd be going 50mm, easy then to knock a frame up from 2 by 1. like you say tho finding a printed pannel the missus will like is going to be the biggie. 

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 4074
RE: DIY acoustic panels

Seen some plain green that will blend in ok with our colour scheme, thanks they seem easy and cheap to make

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

 

 

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2579
RE: DIY acoustic panels

RobinKidderminster wrote:

100mm for walls. 150min corners. 50mm easier to handle and cut than 100mm. More easily available too.Most use a stout frame but my build is lighter using 6mm wooden panel & bolted corner brackwts. Wire used to brace the frame corner to corner.

Dependant on room but I found corner triangles worked the most magic.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: DIY acoustic panels

What kind of acoustic material can besed to stop the noise which is coming because of the traffic.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments