17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2007
Digital Room Correction

Has anyone any experience of this product, or something similar?
http://www.dspeaker.com/
Seems like it may be a cure for boomy base,, but would it have an adverse affect in the overall sonics of ones set up?
Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11157
RE: Digital Room Correction

Yes, I have used one at home on my subwoofer. I did mean to try it out full range with my front pair but I didn't get a chance to. I also want to try it out full range on our main system using the KEF Blades - I'm assuming that if it has any negative effects, they'll reveal them.

Russ Williams over on AVF reviewed it and gave it Reference Status.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2007
RE: Digital Room Correction

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Yes, I have used one at home on my subwoofer. I did mean to try it out full range with my front pair but I didn't get a chance to. I also want to try it out full range on our main system using the KEF Blades - I'm assuming that if it has any negative effects, they'll reveal them.

Russ Williams over on AVF reviewed it and gave it Reference Status.

Hi David,

Did you find it effective with regards to the sub?

I am going to try and get a home demo next week.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2012 - 20:52
Posts: 429
RE: Digital Room Correction

Hi Mac,

I'd be really interested to hear how this goes for you. You'd have to think that it will have a much greater impact on your boomy bass issue than cables?

Did you end up trying those isolation stands Cno was talking about?

As you know I'm going through the process of try to integrate my subs. The Bryston crossover that I recently acquired has an alarming hum when I place it in the chain, so it needs to be looked at again by the tech before I can really test it. Think it must be something to do with the voltage change over.

I am looking at a second hand Velodyne SMS-1 sub parametric equalizer, if I can get it cheap eough it might be fun to play around with.

The other option I had read up on (apart from the Anitmode) was the Audessy.

Rives Parc & Lygdorf do review well, but really too expensive & i doubt I'd be able to try before I buy over here.

Let us know how it goes, hope you get the result you're after.

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2007
RE: Digital Room Correction

Neuphonix wrote:

Hi Mac,

I'd be really interested to hear how this goes for you. You'd have to think that it will have a much greater impact on your boomy bass issue than cables?

Did you end up trying those isolation stands Cno was talking about?

As you know I'm going through the process of try to integrate my subs. The Bryston crossover that I recently acquired has an alarming hum when I place it in the chain, so it needs to be looked at again by the tech before I can really test it. Think it must be something to do with the voltage change over.

I am looking at a second hand Velodyne SMS-1 sub parametric equalizer, if I can get it cheap eough it might be fun to play around with.

The other option I had read up on (apart from the Anitmode) was the Audessy.

Rives Parc & Lygdorf do review well, but really too expensive & i doubt I'd be able to try before I buy over here.

Let us know how it goes, hope you get the result you're after.

Hi,

Yes, I've realised now to really hear the most benefit from any cable change, I need to tame this base issue.

I haven't tried the Track Audio stands and to be honest if this Antimode works, it would be a cheaper option.

The Analysis plus big silver oval SC's and jumpers plus the Black Ravioli big feet certainly did tighten things up and made a great improvement to the overall soundstage  but, didn't eliminate the boomyness problem altogether.

If I manage to get a home demo, I'll certainly report back.

Good luck with your sub trials too.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2012 - 20:52
Posts: 429
RE: Digital Room Correction

Will be interesting to see if you lose something at the same time as gaining something? Does it sacrifice something at the top while it is EQing the bottom?

I've never had the opportunity to try a high end EQ system. The cheap ones that I have tried never impressed much. I always seemed to find that they served more to highlight the differences in recordings. You set it up so it sounds great on one CD & then it makes another sound ordinary.

I'm pretty sure this was as much user error as the device, but would be interested to see if anyone with more experience in this area has any feedback or suggestions.

Did read your Ravioli thread, but was too scary for me to get involved in!!! Smile

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12101
RE: Digital Room Correction

Neuphonix wrote:

Did read your Ravioli thread, but was too scary for me to get involved in!!! Smile

Tell me about it......you'd think I'd know better by now, having got sucked into a couple of similar ones!  :doh:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2007
RE: Digital Room Correction

Neuphonix wrote:

Will be interesting to see if you lose something at the same time as gaining something? Does it sacrifice something at the top while it is EQing the bottom?

I've never had the opportunity to try a high end EQ system. The cheap ones that I have tried never impressed much. I always seemed to find that they served more to highlight the differences in recordings. You set it up so it sounds great on one CD & then it makes another sound ordinary.

I'm pretty sure this was as much user error as the device, but would be interested to see if anyone with more experience in this area has any feedback or suggestions.

Did read your Ravioli thread, but was too scary for me to get involved in!!! Smile

Hmmm, was a bit sorry I started that post in the end.

You echo my concerns re the Antimode, but it certainly gets rave reviews and no mention of losing anything, so we will see.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11157
RE: Digital Room Correction

Macspur wrote:
Hi David,

Did you find it effective with regards to the sub?

I am going to try and get a home demo next week.

Mac

I thought my sub sounded fine before it, which if I'm honest, it did. I think because it doesn't draw attention to itself I felt that the EQ wouldn't really have much effect. Wrong! While the sub doesn't reach any deeper with or without EQ, it sounds deeper with EQ because without it you are setting the sub's level based on the peaks in the response - so if you have a peak of 12dB at say 50Hz, you set the sub level based on that 12dB peak, so instantly, most other frequencies are 12dB down, which is noticeably quieter. So instead of the room issues masking the lower capabilities of the sub, you're suddenly hearing everything the sub is capable of doing, rather than a fraction of what it can do. I liken it to comparing a singer trying to sing with a cold and sinus problems to one who does not.

As soon as I have paid off the excesses of my movie and music purchases from December, I'll be adding one to my system Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2007
RE: Digital Room Correction

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Macspur wrote:
Hi David,

Did you find it effective with regards to the sub?

I am going to try and get a home demo next week.

Mac

I thought my sub sounded fine before it, which if I'm honest, it did. I think because it doesn't draw attention to itself I felt that the EQ wouldn't really have much effect. Wrong! While the sub doesn't reach any deeper with or without EQ, it sounds deeper with EQ because without it you are setting the sub's level based on the peaks in the response - so if you have a peak of 12dB at say 50Hz, you set the sub level based on that 12dB peak, so instantly, most other frequencies are 12dB down, which is noticeably quieter. So instead of the room issues masking the lower capabilities of the sub, you're suddenly hearing everything the sub is capable of doing, rather than a fraction of what it can do. I liken it to comparing a singer trying to sing with a cold and sinus problems to one who does not.

As soon as I have paid off the excesses of my movie and music purchases from December, I'll be adding one to my system Smile

Excellent David, thank you.

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

andyjm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 11:49
Posts: 713
RE: Digital Room Correction

Room acoustics have more effect on experienced sound than any other parameter.  The smaller the room, the worse the effect at low frequency.

i have been surprised at the slow take up of room equalisation. It is commonplace in pro setups. I have been a convert for many years. For those still plugging away with squeezebox streamers, there was an excellent free add in 'inguz' that allowed full DSP room correction to be done. Effectively taking the in room frequency response and inverting it to obtain a flat response to the listener.  Inguz isn't supported anymore, and of course squeeze is dead.

if you want to explore the subject further google 'room equalisation wizard' a free download app that gives you all the tools you need to analyse room performance. It also prepares filter and impulse files for a range of eq boxes.

You need a measurement mic - behringer do an excellent mic at very reasonable cost. I will try to dig out the details if you are interested.

You can't fill in nulls, but smoothing out peaks - particularly below 500Hz can change a boomy bass response into something very taught.

 

edit: It's the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic. 40 quid.  Like most pro mics, it's phantom powered, so you need a cheapo mixer to power it. Behringer sell an excellent range of mixers sub 100 quid. I would definitely recommend it.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11157
RE: Digital Room Correction

I would say that careful room placement should be exercised first before resorting to room EQ. Doing as much as you can to get the basics right means that less EQ'ing should be needed, although you won't be able to remove room modes with speaker or sub placement. I feel that EQ'ing higher frequencies should ideally be avoided for many reasons - the lower the frequency, the more need for EQ.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2012 - 20:52
Posts: 429
RE: Digital Room Correction

Hey Mac,

any progress on organising a home demo on this unit yet?

 

Question also for David if he catches this;

I finally got around to running the ARO room correction set-up on my JL subs over the weekend. Wow, what a difference, much much better definition, wish I had done it earlier.

Given that my subs have a built in EQ feature do you think that the anti-mode is really needed? Or would it just perform much the same function.

I'm pretty keen to give it a try but don't really want to spend the money if it is just going to duplicate what I already have.

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2007
RE: Digital Room Correction

Neuphonix wrote:

Hey Mac,

any progress on organising a home demo on this unit yet?

 

Question also for David if he catches this;

I finally got around to running the ARO room correction set-up on my JL subs over the weekend. Wow, what a difference, much much better definition, wish I had done it earlier.

Given that my subs have a built in EQ feature do you think that the anti-mode is really needed? Or would it just perform much the same function.

I'm pretty keen to give it a try but don't really want to spend the money if it is just going to duplicate what I already have.

No sorry mate... couldn't find anyone prepared to come and set it up for me so far... got 1 more place to try.

To be honest though, had my eye taken off the ball lately, as found an Accuphase amp that I'm quite keen to try... too many balls in the air, probably end up dropping them all!

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11157
RE: Digital Room Correction

Neuphonix wrote:
Given that my subs have a built in EQ feature do you think that the anti-mode is really needed? Or would it just perform much the same function.

I'm pretty keen to give it a try but don't really want to spend the money if it is just going to duplicate what I already have.

I don't know how good the EQ you have in your subs is, so can't really comment. The Dual Core EQ's down to 16Hz and does it well, so if you can find out how low the ARO will do and if there's been any reviews on it's abilities, you may be in a better position to see which will give you greater benefits. On a basic level though, you don't need the Dual Core.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 20/04/2012 - 20:52
Posts: 429
RE: Digital Room Correction

Thanks David,

thats sort of what I was thinking. I was really surprised at the improvement the ARO on the fathoms made. While it is not as interactive as the Dual Core it does seem to do a pretty good job. Good enough for me to put the dual core on the back burner for a while.

Hard to find opportunities to home demo nich products like the dual core down here in OZ.

Thanks again.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments