14 posts / 0 new
Last post
SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

I have just bought a Cyrus 3 amp and now need some speakers. Here is where the problems starts, I only have a limted budget but it seems that there arnt any budget speakers that work with Cyrus due to the enthusiatsic treble. 

I will send my music through a DAC and into the amp and I mainly listen to folky and Indie music. Please give me some speakers to have a look out for they can be in any shape or form, brand new or second hand aslong as there budget speakers and dont sound too bright with the cyrus.

Any input or ideas are welcome

Thankyou

Crossie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 04/08/2009 - 13:08
Posts: 558
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

it would help if you could set a maximum price. Do you want stand mounted or florstanding speakers? What size is your room?

Cheers  :cheers:

SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

Crossie wrote:

it would help if you could set a maximum price. Do you want stand mounted or florstanding speakers? What size is your room?

Cheers  :cheers:

Realistically my maximum budget is around £250 and the room is 13ft x 12ft speakers along the longest side and. I will consider floor standers and standmounters, Thanks for your reply

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2854
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

These would work well; theyre an easy drive and great sounding too:

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350700140463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

They'll help to keep the Cyrus top-end in check

SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

d_a_n1979 wrote:

These would work well; theyre an easy drive and great sounding too:

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350700140463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

 

They'll help to keep the Cyrus top-end in check

Thats great thanks, do all Acoustic Energy speakers gel with the Cyrus, I have been looking at the Neo 1 V2 ?

kev g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 04/03/2008 - 16:38
Posts: 152
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

just a thought - another alternative could be these floorstanders.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-revolution-R2-/121061678100?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c2fd69c14 Have never heard Tannoy & Cyrus together but I can see no reason that the sound would be harsh.

Naim UnitiLite (FM/DAB), Neat Motive SE2*, Chord Epic cable*

Samsung 40F6740, Sony BDV-E370*

*second-hand

 

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2854
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

I've found they worked really well (all be it, it was a Cyrus 8VS2 I had). Heard it with the Aelite 2's, AESprit 2's, AE109's and the Neo 3 V2's and they all worked really well, in particular the AE109's - still a fave of mine as they were my very first speakers alongside an Arcam Alpha 6 amp and 6 CD player)!

 

The soft dome tweeter just seems to gel well with the Cyrus sound and it calms that slight brightness/harshness that can be there at times but then again this does depend on the quality of sound being fed to the amp etc...

SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

Thankyou both very much. They both look like they could be just whats needed to tame the Cyrus, will apple lossless files run through a DAC be okay sound quality wise ?

kev g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 04/03/2008 - 16:38
Posts: 152
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

If possible take along your amp to a dealer & audition the AE`s

Another floorstander alternative - Tannoy V4

Naim UnitiLite (FM/DAB), Neat Motive SE2*, Chord Epic cable*

Samsung 40F6740, Sony BDV-E370*

*second-hand

 

SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

kev g wrote:
If possible take along your amp to a dealer & audition the AE`s Another floorstander alternative - Tannoy V4

You have just saved me a post, as I've heard the Tannoy V4's have quite a sweet treble and they received a glistening review from WHF. Ill put them on my fast becoming long "short list"


d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2854
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

SeanRussell wrote:

Thankyou both very much. They both look like they could be just whats needed to tame the Cyrus, will apple lossless files run through a DAC be okay sound quality wise ?

 

Yup Smile

 

All my music is via iTunes, AirPlay and an ATV2 for my living room system... No issues with sound quality at all Biggrin

SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

Am I being naive or would the wharfedale 10.1/10.3 be a okay match aswell ?

d_a_n1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/09/2007 - 20:48
Posts: 2854
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

SeanRussell wrote:

Am I being naive or would the wharfedale 10.1/10.3 be a okay match aswell ?

 

They'd be fine but you can do better!

 

The AE Neo 3 V2's are available on eBay for c£250 IIRC.

 

The AE speakers are much better overall that the Wharfedale's IMO. The Wharfedale's are good speakers but they are budget speakers; the Cyrus deserves better I feel

SeanRussell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 13/12/2012 - 16:04
Posts: 26
RE: Cyrus Amp, what speakers ? HELP

d_a_n1979 wrote:

SeanRussell wrote:

Am I being naive or would the wharfedale 10.1/10.3 be a okay match aswell ?

 

They'd be fine but you can do better!

 

The AE Neo 3 V2's are available on eBay for c£250 IIRC.

 

The AE speakers are much better overall that the Wharfedale's IMO. The Wharfedale's are good speakers but they are budget speakers; the Cyrus deserves better I feel

I had a hunch that would be the case, I think im going to organise an audition with the Neo 1 V2's and the Neo 3 V2s and the others that have been recommended.

Thankyou once again

Log in or register to post comments